First Ebola Case in the US

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default First Ebola Case in the US

The CDC has confirmed the first case of Ebola in the US in the Dallas, TX area. Because the world has shrunk, what used to be a self limiting disease confined to remote areas of Africa has become a larger problem.
Here is the story....

CDC confirms case of Ebola in Dallas
Posted: Sep 30, 2014 4:44 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 30, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
By Ashley Slayton - email

(KLTV) -
The CDC has confirmed the first Ebola case diagnosed in the U.S. in the Dallas area.

Health officials had been awaiting test results on a patient at a Dallas hospital.

Officials at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital said the patient is being kept in isolation until preliminary results come back Tuesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 12 other people in the U.S. have been tested for Ebola since July 27. Those tests came back negative.

Hospital officials said in a statement that the latest patient's symptoms and recent travel indicated a possible case of Ebola. The virus has killed more than 3,000 people in West Africa and infected a handful of Americans who traveled to that region.

Presbyterian Hospital officials say they're following CDC recommendations to keep doctors, staff and patients safe.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I saw that on the news Barry and it scares me. I'm sure it scares a lot of people. He had flown to Texas from Africa and showed no symptoms on the plane and for several days afterward.

There is no known cure or prevention and it has killed 90% of those infected and it would take years to produce an effective vaccine it one was proven to work at this time.

I read that anAmerican health person recently infected was effectively treated with a blood transfusion from the American doctor who survived, but that doesn't seem like something that could easily be done.

It is frightening. But I read that it is not spread from person to person in the air but by contact with bodily fluids from someone infected.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I saw that on the news Barry and it scares me. I'm sure it scares a lot of people. He had flown to Texas from Africa and showed no symptoms on the plane and for several days afterward.

There is no known cure or prevention and it has killed 90% of those infected and it would take years to produce an effective vaccine it one was proven to work at this time.

I read that anAmerican health person recently infected was effectively treated with a blood transfusion from the American doctor who survived, but that doesn't seem like something that could easily be done.

It is frightening. But I read that it is not spread from person to person in the air but by contact with bodily fluids from someone infected.

If I wee one of those who flew on the plane with him I would be very nervous.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage
It's a bit disconcerting to learn that this patient went to the hospital with symptoms, after just getting off of a plane from West Africa, and was allowed to walk out of there only to return four days later with full blown Ebola.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I would be interested in hearing from any ER nurses out there if any screening is being done when patients come in, such as asking if they have been out of the country in the last 21 days.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

My biggest concern is that we as a country do not have ANY PLANS OR PROGRAMS to protect us in case of any given disaster.

We have adopted and accepted the wait and see method/mode of managing any and all national threats as demonstrated by major events of the recent past.

When I still working and used to travel extensively internationally, I can honestly say the USA is the easiest to get in and out of back then....a cake walk today. At one point in time when there was a flu epidemic I was traveling to Japan. They had a tunnel that all arriving passenger had to go through that was infra red monitored. ANYBODY with an above normal temp was culled from the heard and then medically reviewed before and if allowing entry.

I do not see our country having the courage/sense/ability to take the do what ever it takes to protect it's people.

This type of potential disaster should be treated an an impending eventuality and a plan KNOWN IN ADVANCE what precautions to be taken at what levels of advancement by the disease.

What I have seen and heard is that the disease transfers requires an exchange of bodily fluids! That it is (was) not airborn.

If these are in fact correct one would think the spread of the disease SHOULD be easy to control. And the biggest challenge SHOULD BE nothing more than communication/education to the masses. There should also be some sort of screen at every medical facility in the USA. There should be screening at every entry location into the USA. And with more facts and information more steps to be taken......ALL IN THE NAME OF PREVENTION!

The demonstrated methods of dealing with either national or international crises does not inspire ANY confidence what so ever. In deed, for me anyway, it has made me become suspicious of everything that has been communicated. Why?

Far too many crises do not get resolved....more forgotten than resolved.
Far too many in responsible positions are not qualified to deal with solution and or prevention of major crisies.
Far too many who are responsible are still in their positions even after a major crisies.

A very good litmus test is to review the fence jumper episode most recently.
There was no intervention of any kind by armed guards who witnessed the intrussion. The obvious rule of engagement was wait and see. It should be shocking to everyone to see how far this person was ALLOWED to proceed before being taken down.....by an off duty officer no less.

This has to do with the safety and wll fare of the POTUS and his family and all the others there who run this country. Then to have the head of secret service have the nerve to say I have taken steps to see this never happens again is nothing but amateur incompetence.

A long discussion to say we have every right to be concerned. And the ONLY valid assumption is under the current methodologies/allowances/permissiveness/wait and see here in the USA is........

there will be a major outbreak of this disease in this country.

I need to be proven WRONG!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Sage
Smile

Have no fear, Dr.Tom Frieden, head of CDC, is on top of it. Formerly, he was the head of the New York City Health Department's effort to ban trans fat.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Sage
Gov Rick Perry said at a news conference today that five young people have been exposed to Ebola in Texas. He never gave their ages or relationship to the patient, but said they were all students and were asked to stay home from school. He said they are all being closely monitored for the disease.

It was also reported that the unknown patient changed planes in Brussels on his way to the US.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Gov Rick Perry said at a news conference today that five young people have been exposed to Ebola in Texas. He never gave their ages or relationship to the patient, but said they were all students and were asked to stay home from school. He said they are all being closely monitored for the disease.

It was also reported that the unknown patient changed planes in Brussels on his way to the US.
And is anybody concerned about or tracking who the 5 students came in contact with? And those these individuals had contact with?

I do not think the message of has sunk in on those people supposedly in charge who have ONLY one objective...political motivation.
A politician or anybody politically motivated simply does not have the capability or the know how to be pro-active and do what needs to be done.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I would be interested in hearing from any ER nurses out there if any screening is being done when patients come in, such as asking if they have been out of the country in the last 21 days.
I am a VA Primary Care R.N. and a good part of my job is walk-in and telephone triage and no protocol yet has come from the top regarding handling of suspected Ebola patients.

Fortunately I use universal precautions with all patients, but most certainly will be on high alert for patients with vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and asking about travel to West Africa or on flights that had been to West Africa.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And is anybody concerned about or tracking who the 5 students came in contact with? And those these individuals had contact with?

I do not think the message of has sunk in on those people supposedly in charge who have ONLY one objective...political motivation.
A politician or anybody politically motivated simply does not have the capability or the know how to be pro-active and do what needs to be done.

That is pretty harsh criticism of Governor Perry who is only trying to do his job of keeping the citizens of Texas informed and safe.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I am a VA Primary Care R.N. and a good part of my job is walk-in and telephone triage and no protocol yet has come from the top regarding handling of suspected Ebola patients.

Fortunately I use universal precautions with all patients, but most certainly will be on high alert for patients with vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and asking about travel to West Africa or on flights that had been to West Africa.

It is now being reported on the news that the patient told the nurse that he was from Liberia when he presented with symptoms, but the doctors who treated him never got that information. How can this happen?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:14 PM

I would bet that he knew he had been exposed to Ebola before he even got on the plane and that he never told anyone that he just arrived from Liberia. I don't for one moment believe that such information would not be reported immediately.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It is now being reported on the news that the patient told the nurse that he was from Liberia when he presented with symptoms, but the doctors who treated him never got that information. How can this happen?
Having not been there it is hard for me to judge what went down. I will say if the nurse forgot to tell the doctor this patient was from Liberia, when that doctor did their own history that info should have been obtained becaused it is medical school 101 to ask out of country travel questions to all patients that present with vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
I would bet that he knew he had been exposed to Ebola before he even got on the plane and that he never told anyone that he just arrived from Liberia. I don't for one moment believe that such information would not be reported immediately.
Yes, he knew

Duncan might have contracted Ebola while trying to save a pregnant woman’s life, reported the New York Times. Duncan helped take the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, to the hospital by taxi in Monrovia, Liberia. She was convulsing and seven months pregnant. When they arrived, the hospital said there was not enough room for her in the Ebola treatment ward, so they were forced to return home. She died hours later, around 3 a.m. Sept. 20. Two other people who came into contact with Williams contracted Ebola and died, the Heavy added.

I am in Dallas this week, and live near Houston. I am following this for sure.
I can't find information about his family being us citizens or not.

Citizenship aside, I am also curious if they released him prematurely after the initial hospital visit because he didn't have insurance. I am not saying they would release him if they suspected ebola, but maybe they didn't take enough time with him because of no insurance (I am not saying that he did or did not have travelers insurance).

We need to temporarily stop entry of citizens from West Africa. If a USA citizen must travel there for business, they need to be cable to afford a. 21 day quarantine before getting on a plane back until this is resolved. Just my opinion
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.