Flu shot goat rodeo

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Flu shot goat rodeo

I must be getting old and crotchety. Every time I have to deal with anything medical insurance or medicare related I get so frustrated at the sheer incompetence and lack of common sense in the system.

Last week I was at Walgreen's and saw they had flu shots available. So not having this years version, I decided to get one. So I inquire about it and they ask if I am over 65. So yes I am, so they say "if your over 65 it is recommended you get the enhanced flu shot". OK, give me the enhanced one. Well they are out of stock, but will add my name to a list and call me when they get it in. So I say OK, thinking I will never hear from them, but understand.

Yesterday they call and say they have the enhanced version available. So I drive to Walgreen's and ask for the shot. They ask for my medicare and insurance card which I provide. Well turns out Medicare will only pay for the basic flu shot. Still OK so I ask how much they cost. The basic is $33 and the enhanced is $55. Then thinking about it I ask, "if over 65 they recommend the enhanced, why does medicare only pay for the basic? Does not everyone over 65 have medicare? Well yes, but Medicare only pays the basic.

It gets worse. OK, give me the enhanced and I will pay the extra $22. Can't do that, Medicare will pay for basic only, but zero toward enhanced. OK give me the basic and then a second shot with the enhanced different coverage. (basic covers 3 flu's and enhanced covers one or two more) Can't do that either. Only two shots available, one basic and one that has basic plus enhanced.

OK, getting pretty annoyed, but say OK give me the enhanced and I will pay the $55.

So if you're over 65 you have to have medicare. If you're over 65 they recommend the enhanced flu shot. But medicare only pays for the one they don't recommend.

We are all doomed by the incompetence of our medical system run by a government that has zero common sense. And our taxes pay some bureaucrat to think these things up and not have a clue about the complete stupidity of it. And now we are about to turn more of it over to them.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I must be getting old and crotchety. Every time I have to deal with anything medical insurance or medicare related I get so frustrated at the sheer incompetence and lack of common sense in the system.

Last week I was at Walgreen's and saw they had flu shots available. So not having this years version, I decided to get one. So I inquire about it and they ask if I am over 65. So yes I am, so they say "if your over 65 it is recommended you get the enhanced flu shot". OK, give me the enhanced one. Well they are out of stock, but will add my name to a list and call me when they get it in. So I say OK, thinking I will never hear from them, but understand.

Yesterday they call and say they have the enhanced version available. So I drive to Walgreen's and ask for the shot. They ask for my medicare and insurance card which I provide. Well turns out Medicare will only pay for the basic flu shot. Still OK so I ask how much they cost. The basic is $33 and the enhanced is $55. Then thinking about it I ask, "if over 65 they recommend the enhanced, why does medicare only pay for the basic? Does not everyone over 65 have medicare? Well yes, but Medicare only pays the basic.

It gets worse. OK, give me the enhanced and I will pay the extra $22. Can't do that, Medicare will pay for basic only, but zero toward enhanced. OK give me the basic and then a second shot with the enhanced different coverage. (basic covers 3 flu's and enhanced covers one or two more) Can't do that either. Only two shots available, one basic and one that has basic plus enhanced.

OK, getting pretty annoyed, but say OK give me the enhanced and I will pay the $55.

So if you're over 65 you have to have medicare. If you're over 65 they recommend the enhanced flu shot. But medicare only pays for the one they don't recommend.

We are all doomed by the incompetence of our medical system run by a government that has zero common sense. And our taxes pay some bureaucrat to think these things up and not have a clue about the complete stupidity of it. And now we are about to turn more of it over to them.

Sounds as though you have the right to be crotchety and then some.....
Geez....

Actually, though, we have NEVER taken the flu shots.....and we never get the flu. Go figure.

When we'd see on the news the long lines of people waiting for flu shots (those who don't get them in their doctor's offices).......it's mind boggling.

Just try to keep your immune system strong naturally.......and stay away from crowded areas where the flu bug might be circulating.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Sage

Maybe you don't get the flu thanks to the many people who do go to the trouble of getting the shot so they won't get flu and infect you.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Location: West Hartford, Farmington, Niantic, CT.... The Villages in 2010!

I don't know what Walgreen's you went to, but Medicare paid for my enhanced flu shot... no additional charge.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Default Flu Shot Goat Rodeo

I fail to see what Medicare did wrong here. It seems to me the problem was with Walgreens or its local store. Medicare is a fantastic program for seniors.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM

We are all doomed by the incompetence of our medical system run by a government that has zero common sense. And our taxes pay some bureaucrat to think these things up and not have a clue about the complete stupidity of it. And now we are about to turn more of it over to them.[/QUOTE]

Check your facts before being critical and dismissive.

We both got the enhanced flu shots at the Lake Miona Rec Center - the shots were available on several dates at several rec centers - Medicare paid for them.

Don't know what Walgreens was doing in your case but, again, you've been around long enough to realize when something doesn't make sense and to check further before jumping to conclusions.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've never gotten a flu shot since I retired from the air force. It was mandatory every year. Each of those years I had the flu if not, some twice. Never had a flu since.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Sage

Never had a flu shot or the flu and hope to keep it that way
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

I don't know Medicare's payment policy. However, there is no published data showing any increased clinical protection of the high dose product compared to the regular dose vaccine.(The manufacturer claims it has data from its own studies which have not been published nor submitted to the FDA yet) The high dose does provide a higher antibody response but that does not necessarily mean a higher level of real world protection. The studies of efficacy are ongoing now and will be available next year. There is also this year a vaccine with 4 strains of influenza rather than the usual 3 strain product. The 4 strain vaccine is only available in the regular strength not a high dose formulation. Frankly, it would make sense for Medicare to not pay for a higher cost product that has not been shown to produce a superior result to its lower cost competition. I do think that the studies ongoing will show it is a better product and at that time it would make sense to consider the cost/benefit ratio in decision making both for patients and insurance carriers.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjay23 View Post
Check your facts before being critical and dismissive.

We both got the enhanced flu shots at the Lake Miona Rec Center - the shots were available on several dates at several rec centers - Medicare paid for them.

Don't know what Walgreens was doing in your case but, again, you've been around long enough to realize when something doesn't make sense and to check further before jumping to conclusions.[/QUOTE]

I do not think it is at all unreasonable for the OP to accept the information from Walgreen's as fact, particularly since we are all being pushed into using these mini-clinics.

At some point we need to start demanding better quality of service from "everyone" with whom we contract. However, until then, trust but verify is just not a practical approach with something so trivial as a $55 reimbursement.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I've never gotten a flu shot since I retired from the air force. It was mandatory every year. Each of those years I had the flu if not, some twice. Never had a flu since.
That is my story as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Gold member

go to target...we got the enhanced version medicare covered.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Gold member

neighbor went to publx got enhanced shot and it was medicare covered.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Sage

I usually call my insurance company when an issue like this comes up. I've been told no too many times by medical professionals or clerks only to find out that it actually is a policy of a certain doctor or drug store instead of the insurance refusing to pay for it.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
neighbor went to publx got enhanced shot and it was medicare covered.
We got the run around at Walgreens, insisted one of us was not covered and it was Sweetie, the insurance is in his name! Went to Publix, no sweat...

I am waiting to get our shots until November, so the protection goes longer into the season. Some friends got flu in Spring last year.

Haven't even had a cold for years.( I am crossing myself) I think that anything that protects you against feeling lousy is a good thing especially if you are 65 plus.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.