Food 4 thought or not!

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Sage

More Commonly Asked Questions

Protein - Where do I get my protein / What protein drink is best?
Extra protein powder and shakes are truly unnecessary and have the potential for harm if they contain animal protein. The protein available through plant-based nutrition is adequate to nourish professional champion athletes such as the iron man, professional football, mixed martial arts, track and field, etc.

Calcium – Where do I get calcium?
Calcium supplementation is unnecessary. There is more than adequate calcium in a plant- based diet of whole grains, legumes and grains and especially the green leafy vegetables.

Vitamins – What Vitamins should I take?
A multivitamin is a reasonable way to be sure of obtaining the full spectrum of vitamins, but my preference, especially if one is eating copious amounts of green leafy vegetables, is to limit supplements to Vitamin D as necessary to maintain blood level in the normal range and B -12.

Fish Oil - Should I take fish oil?
Fish oil is not essential. Fish get their omega 3 from plants. It is difficult to be deficient in Omega 3 if eating 1-2 tablespoons of flax seed meal and green leafy vegetables at several meals. There is also research that suggests that those on plant based nutrition become highly efficient in their own manufacture of omega 3. Patients on fish oil are also at increased risk for bleeding.

Flax Seed Oil/ Flax Seed Meal – What about flax seed oil?
Flax seed meal is well tolerated and supplies a bonus of omega 3 using 1 or 2 tablespoons on cereal daily. Avoid flax seed oil.

Olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, Sunflower oil, soybean oil, peanut oil, any oil –
Which oil is best?
Avoid oils. They injure the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease.

Lotions with oil – Is it all right to use lotions with oil on my skin?
It is fine to use lotions with oil on your skin.

Omega 3
– How do I get my Omega 3’s?
Omega 3 ‘s are essential fatty acids supplied in adequate amounts in people consuming plant based nutrition with plenty of green leafy vegetables.

Family history –I have a bad family history? Does it matter?
Family history can shed light on whether one has an increased risk, but multiple autopsy studies of the young confirm that all who are consuming the standard western diet have established, albeit early, vascular disease. Family history loads the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger.

Nuts – What about nuts? I hear so many different opinions.
For those with established heart disease to add more saturated fat is inappropriate.
For people with no heart disease who want to eat nuts and avocado and are able to achieve a cholesterol of 150 and LDL of 80 or under without cholesterol lowering drugs, some nuts and avocado are acceptable. No nuts for heart disease patients, includes peanuts and peanut butter, even though peanuts are officially a legume. Chestnuts are the one nut, very low in fat, it is ok to eat.

Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame) Are seeds ok to eat?
Some seeds sprinkled on bread or crackers, etc., are acceptable. Just don’t eat handfuls.

Prostate cancer- Does plant based eating help prostate cancer?
Prostate cancer is greatly lessoned by plant- based nutrition as best exemplified by the 1958 report confirming by autopsy 18 deaths in the entire nation of Japan.

Egg whites, fat free milk, yogurt – So What is wrong with egg whites, fat free yogurt, skim milk?
Egg whites, fat free milk and yogurt are ALL animal protein, and animal protein injures the lining of the arteries. Do not eat.

Cholesterol Number fluctuation – Why do my cholesterol numbers fluctuate?
Fluctuation of cholesterol is normal. It is nice to have it fluctuating in a range that would indicate you are unlikely to have cardio vascular problems.

Losing weight –What can I do to stop losing too much weight?
If you are losing too much weight, EAT MORE calories. Increase portion size. Eat snacks. Eat more whole grains and beans.

HDL- My doctor is so concerned because my HDL has gone down
It is not uncommon for HDL to fall when cholesterol falls. Do not be alarmed. The capacity of HDL to do its job has been shown recently by scientific research that there is no relationship between the capacity of the HDL molecule to function optimally and its blood level. Recent research has confirmed that the HDL molecule can be injured and weakened when one is ingesting a pro inflammatory western diet and conversely it appears despite a lower than normal level to be optimized by anti inflammatory plant based-nutrition.

LDL - Where should my LDL be?
LDL is the bad cholesterol. The closer it can be to 80-85, the better. However, if one is unable to take statin drugs and eating plant-based nutrition, and the LDL won’t go lower than 95-105, it would appear that they will still be fine. The lesson we learned from the Tarahumara Indians, who never have cardiovascular disease, is that the most key protective element is not so much the pure LDL number as is knowing that nothing ever is eaten which is a building block of vascular disease or can injure endothelium.

Statins - Should I take statins or not?
Statins are not the reason that cultures such as the Tarhumara and the Papua Highlanders do not have cardiovascular disease. Statins appear to have no benefit in primary prevention but are of some help in slowing disease progression for those who already have an established diagnosis of cardiovascular disease. Clearly some of our most profound successes in arresting and reversing disease were with patients who either refused or were incapable of taking statins. Nothing is as powerful for the prevention of cardiovascular disease as plant based nutrition.

Coumadin – Can I eat leafy greens when I am on Coumadin?
Coumadin (Warfarin) is an anti clotting drug shown to have significant benefit in protecting people with atrial fibrillation from having a stroke. Can patients on Coumadin eat all the green leafy vegetables with vitamin k, which may shorten their clotting time? The answer most emphatically is YES! Merely inform the physician who is monitoring the Coumadin and clotting time that you are regularly going to be eating copious amounts of healthy green leafy vegetables. He/she will appropriately adjust the Coumadin dose.

Juicing- Is it all right to juice?
Do not juice. You lose all the fiber and its benefits.

Fruit juice – What about fruit juice?
Drinking fruit juice is like pouring the sugar bowl down your throat. It is fine to eat the whole fruit. Do not drink the juice.

Smoothies – How about smoothies? I love them!
Avoid smoothies. The fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are destroyed. The sugar is stripped from the fruit, bypasses salivary digestion and results in a surge of glucose and the accompanying fructose contributes to inflammation and hypertension.

A Fib- Will plant nutrition work for A Fib?
While A Fib is largely independent of nutrition, and is a heart rhythm abnormality, there are some subset of cases which are presumably related to less than optimal heart circulation. While it would be totally inappropriate for me to suggest plant - based nutrition would cure atrial fibrillation, the many ancillary benefits would indicate plant based nutrition would be of value.

Calcium score- Is a calcium score helpful?
With cardiac CT you get a big hit of radiation. If you have been eating the typical American diet, you have heart disease as autopsy studies have shown.

Erectile dysfunction- Will erectile dysfunction reverse with plant based nutrition?
We have seen erectile dysfunction reverse on multiple occasions. Those who follow the program most closely have the best results. How long it takes varies.

Do Cholesterol Numbers Matter?
What you eat matters most. LDL 85 or under is the ideal but it can vary if you eat plant based.

Sugar- How much sugar is safe?
Newer information suggests that excess sugar is harmful, especially fructose, one of the most commonly ingested sugars, which can contribute to inflammation and hyper tension as well as weight gain and exacerbating diabetes

Coffee – Can I drink coffee?
Avoid coffee with caffeine. Several studies indicate it may contribute injury to the lining of the artery.

Soy products – What about soy products?
Soy products are 40% fat and most of them are highly processed. An excess of soy protein may stimulate insulin growth factor, which is a tumor promoter. Eat soy products cautiously.

Does eating plant based help with congestive heart Failure?

There are multiple components in the treatment of congestive heart failure. It is our experience that when all the usual therapies have been instituted, there can be additional improvement with the introduction of whole food, plant based nutrition.

I am looking for a cardiologist or someone who practices life style like you in my area.
This is the most common question I get. There are a few doctors who practice lifestyle change, and hopefully there will be more. For those wanting to come for guidance, we have developed once to twice month a single day intensive seminar at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute.

There are so many different diets out there…Paleo, blood type, how do I know which one to choose?
That is not as challenging as it may appear. You can separate hype from scientific reality by seeing if the author has done peer reviewed scientific research prior to bringing the ideas to the public.

What is the difference between plant protein and animal protein?
While the precise mechanisms need to be elucidated, animal and epidemiological studies as well as the brachial artery tourniquet test, confirm that animal protein accelerates both atherosclerosis and cancer, whereas plant protein does not.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Having recently read the books by Dr. Esselstyne and Dr. Campbell, I did more research on my own. From all sides, this information is very enlightening. I am very impressed! Thank you, Jimbo.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBear View Post
Having recently read the books by Dr. Esselstyne and Dr. Campbell, I did more research on my own. From all sides, this information is very enlightening. I am very impressed! Thank you, Jimbo.
Add Bad Science to your reading list. I ordered it as a result of someone on this forum mentioning it. It is wisely written, but hard to understand because the physician who wrote it is part of the U.K. health community and they do things way differently than we do here and there are many references to articles published there that I have never heard of. But the premise is good if you can wade through the sometimes difficult to understand language. (And I am not a novice to medical jargon)..Oh it is written by Ben Goldacre in 1998. (Not new at all) BUT it takes on not only homeopathy and the huge supplement industry but big pharma as well and a bit about nutrition fads.

Adds to anyone's general knowledge and kind of gives you a recharge of the old scientific method and ways to prove the facts of anything scientific...or disprove them.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Sage

Gracie, what?

The Villages Florida
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Just took a quick glance at Bad Science and the concern I had was that it seems to be predicated on the presupposition that if it can't be shown to be valid through a scientific means, then it's validity is questionable.

Somehow that seems very limiting to me, as there are so many things that we know to be useful and "working" that may not yet be scientifically "proven" and it seems a shame that so many people are dissuaded from finding out for themselves what might work.

I find that if something "feels" useful to me, then it is often worth trying out regardless of it's "scientific" validity. Homeopathy and Flower Essences are a good case in point and have "proven" themselves to me and many others to be most useful in many cases, even for my dogs. I hate to think of where I'd be if I hadn't had arnica and rescue remedy in my purse when I fell down hit my knees, wrists, shoulder, and head in Eustis. Didn't even get a bruising, but it was a foolish way to find out that at least I don't have Osteo!

Maybe we haven't created the machinery or techniques yet to measure and/or test the "older" methods that have been around longer than the allopathic approach. JMHO

LW888
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Add Bad Science to your reading list. I ordered it as a result of someone on this forum mentioning it. It is wisely written, but hard to understand because the physician who wrote it is part of the U.K. health community and they do things way differently than we do here and there are many references to articles published there that I have never heard of. But the premise is good if you can wade through the sometimes difficult to understand language. (And I am not a novice to medical jargon)..Oh it is written by Ben Goldacre in 1998. (Not new at all) BUT it takes on not only homeopathy and the huge supplement industry but big pharma as well and a bit about nutrition fads.

Adds to anyone's general knowledge and kind of gives you a recharge of the old scientific method and ways to prove the facts of anything scientific...or disprove them.
I have it on my reading list along with a number of other books. Right now I'm reading "Fantastic Voyage". The library borrowed it from Jacksonville. As interesting as it is (about health) it's hard to believe we don't have it in our library system. It's a big book and slow reading so I hope I can finish it before my time is up. No extensions on borrowed books.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Sage
Default Use vegan diet to reverse diabetes (typeII)

By David Liu, PHD 6/24/12

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine recommends a vegan diet for diabetes patients and claims that the disease can be reversed by following a plant-based diet.

The following are the advice from the organization.

1) Diabetes patients should use a vegan diet that comes without red meat, poultry, fish, dairy products and eggs. That is, get rid of animal protein and fat from your diet. Meat contains saturated fat, which is associated with heart disease, insulin resistance and some types of cancer. Meat is also high in protein which can promote kidney problems and calcium losses. Meat contains cholesterol. Meat does not have healthful carbohydrates, fiber and other vital nutrients such as antioxidative phytochemicals.

2) People with diabetes should avoid added vegetables oils and other high fat foods in their diet. Saturated fat and trans fat have been associated with increased risk of diabetes. Vegetable oils are healthier than animal fat, but still have a negative impact if you eat too much fat, regardless of its origin. Foods that should be avoided include foods fried in oil, oily toppings, and olives, avocados and peanut butter.

3) Diabetics should use a diet with low glycemic index. A food with a higher glycemic index can release blood sugar faster, which can worsen the disease. High GI foods that should be avoided include white or wheat bread, most cold cereals, watermelon, pineapple, potatoes, sugar and any sugar added foods and beverages.

4) People with diabetes should use high fiber foods. The goal is to use 40 grams of fiber per day. High fiber foods include beans, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains including barley, oats, quinoa, millet and whole wheat pasta.

5) Diabetes people should use foods with less calories. It is advised that they use soups, salads and foods cooked in water as part of their diet. These foods make them feel full, but they do not contain much calories.

6) Diabetes people are encouraged to use as much as of grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. It is okay that they eat small amounts of non-fat condiments, fat-free vegan cookies and crackers, alcohol and coffee.

7) Diabetes people should avoid using too much protein. Intake of too much protein can do more harm than good. It is believed that for most people, it is sufficient to eat a diet with 10% or 11% calories from protein. Americans on average eat more than 16% of total calories from protein. Those who need more protein may choose to eat more beans, asparagus, mushrooms and broccoli.

8) Diabetes people as well as healthy people should eat calcium rich foods such as broccoli, kale, collards, mustard greens, beans, figs, fortified juices and cereals and soy or rice milks. (The writer does not recommend using soy milk as it has been reported that soy milk can contain high levels of aluminum).

9) Vegan diet followers should take vitamin B12 supplements. Most vitamin B12 supplements are not easily absorbed, but it is recommended that 5 micrograms per day should be taken. Vitamin B12 is the only nutrient that vegans miss.

Source
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage
Default Subway Introduces Vegan-friendly Sandwiches

Now offering a new selection of healthier sandwiches for vegans.

The three new sandwiches are Sweet Riblet, Malibu Greek and Italian Black Bean. These items contain vegetarian “meats” such as meat-free, soy-based turkey, ham and chicken.
The Villages Florida

Consumers are able to order as many vegetables as they want on the Veggie Delight, but the sandwich is packed with cheese, a product vegans stay away from.

The decision comes from the animal-advocacy group Compassion Over Killing’s campaign to have Subway introduce healthier and more humane vegan meals that offer more protein.

COK set up a website, WeLoveSubway.com to allow users to voice their opinions and request more vegan meal options. The group successfully petitioned Subway to offer the “Totally Vegged” vegetable patties in Canada last year.

COK was also successful in persuading Morningstar Farms, Lightlife, BOCA Foods and Quorn to remove or eliminate egg-based ingredients.

Subway discovered last year that their flatbreads contained vitamin D3 and L-cysteine, which are derived from sheep’s wool and duck feathers, respectively. The ingredients were removed and Subway stated that all other ingredients in their Italian and garlic breads are “plant-derived.”

Subway’s other vegan-approved breads include Italian White Bread, 
Hearty Italian White Bread
, Light Wheat English Muffin
, Roasted Garlic Bread
 and Sourdough Bread
Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I've posted in a previous thread about my way of while being conscious of the nutritional aspects of foods I eat, I don't deny myself delicious food purely for lack of decided health benefits. All things in moderation I was always taught, and that's how I try to behave. In full disclosure, I do have an active life and have a 3 times a week vigorous workout at the gym each week.

But in the spirit of some humor in conjunction with a feeling of "what the heck?", these two women in the link below leave me to wonder about all of this.

I Rest My Case
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Sage

This story is from my paper in NY but it can be anywhere.

Does this look healthy?

The Villages Florida

100% vegan
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Now offering a new selection of healthier sandwiches for vegans.

The three new sandwiches are Sweet Riblet, Malibu Greek and Italian Black Bean. These items contain vegetarian “meats” such as meat-free, soy-based turkey, ham and chicken.
The Villages Florida

Consumers are able to order as many vegetables as they want on the Veggie Delight, but the sandwich is packed with cheese, a product vegans stay away from.

The decision comes from the animal-advocacy group Compassion Over Killing’s campaign to have Subway introduce healthier and more humane vegan meals that offer more protein.

COK set up a website, WeLoveSubway.com to allow users to voice their opinions and request more vegan meal options. The group successfully petitioned Subway to offer the “Totally Vegged” vegetable patties in Canada last year.

COK was also successful in persuading Morningstar Farms, Lightlife, BOCA Foods and Quorn to remove or eliminate egg-based ingredients.

Subway discovered last year that their flatbreads contained vitamin D3 and L-cysteine, which are derived from sheep’s wool and duck feathers, respectively. The ingredients were removed and Subway stated that all other ingredients in their Italian and garlic breads are “plant-derived.”

Subway’s other vegan-approved breads include Italian White Bread, 
Hearty Italian White Bread
, Light Wheat English Muffin
, Roasted Garlic Bread
 and Sourdough Bread
I'm a vegan, as you know, but I'll pass on the soy-based subs. From my experience, soy-burgers and such are extremely high in sodium. For the once or twice a year that I go to Subway, I'd rather have the chicken.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran member
Default Soy Milk?

Just an aside about soy products. I know that I really did a number on myself when I switched to alot of soy products over a number of years in an effort to stay as plant based as possible many years ago when it was first touted as a "healthy" food source. Even was macrobiotic before that for some time but found it very difficult to maintain with teenage kids. I went hypo thyroid and am now just getting back to some semblance of balance. I stopped soy products about 10-15 years ago and avoid soy protein isolates as well. Rice milk and almond milk seem healthier choices as opposed to dairy. Wish we could access raw milk, but that's a whole other story! It is a shame what Food Inc. and all the mega farming practices have done to our land and our food chain. I am currently finding it so frustrating to find "good healthy options" especially as beans and lentils are our least favourite foods. I'm just ranting so please ignore what doesn't resonate.

LW888
Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Attitude of Gratitude

Just realized that an attitude of gratitude could get me out of the ranty mood. Going to do my best to eat whatever I have with a vibration of gratitude and appreciation and then the body can do what it wants with it! That feels better. Making a simple chinese meal an intend to enjoy it thoroughly.

LW888
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Just an aside about soy products. I know that I really did a number on myself when I switched to alot of soy products over a number of years in an effort to stay as plant based as possible many years ago when it was first touted as a "healthy" food source. Even was macrobiotic before that for some time but found it very difficult to maintain with teenage kids. I went hypo thyroid and am now just getting back to some semblance of balance. I stopped soy products about 10-15 years ago and avoid soy protein isolates as well. Rice milk and almond milk seem healthier choices as opposed to dairy. Wish we could access raw milk, but that's a whole other story! It is a shame what Food Inc. and all the mega farming practices have done to our land and our food chain. I am currently finding it so frustrating to find "good healthy options" especially as beans and lentils are our least favourite foods. I'm just ranting so please ignore what doesn't resonate.

LW888
I think I know what you mean about soy. I used soy for a number of years too and felt like something was wrong. Then I read about a study that showed bad effects on the brain (The study subjects were all men but I suppose it might have the same effect on women). Since I stopped using soy I feel much better mentally. It took a long time to notice those effects. I'm glad I did a lot of reading otherwise I never would have learned about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Just realized that an attitude of gratitude could get me out of the ranty mood. Going to do my best to eat whatever I have with a vibration of gratitude and appreciation and then the body can do what it wants with it! That feels better. Making a simple chinese meal an intend to enjoy it thoroughly.

LW888
You are a very positive person and it is so enjoyable to read your posts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.