Food 4 thought or not!

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

Same back to you Gracie. And we really enjoyed our dinner so the shift in attitude must have helped...and as you and others have said before, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Sage

In reading this thread....I recall a story (think it was in the late 80's or early 90's) where this guy collapsed with a heart attack (I think he was running). This was a man (I wish I could remember his name) who was nationally known due to a book he had written on diet/exercise. He was an avid runner and looked the picture of health. I'm thinking at time of death he was in his late 40's---he wasn't "old". It was found he had severe cardiac disease and was a ticking time bomb even though on the outside he looked to be the epitomy of health.

I think diet/exercise is important, don't get me wrong! But doesn't genetics play a part in our bodies? I know of folks in my own family who are adhering to all of this and still their bodies are "falling apart" and their general health is declining.

My belief is to use common sense and moderation in everything!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Sage

genetics can be helped or modified by diet & exercise also.

If you are pre disposed to high BP & cholesterol those can be without a doubt eliminated by diet alone without exercise, with exercise more so.

genetics to type II diabetes > diet can eliminate it.

genetics for cancer > diet can curtail it's growth in certain types.

Some (not all) of what we attribute to genetics from our parents & siblings R in fact NOT genetics but bad diets on their part.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
In reading this thread....I recall a story (think it was in the late 80's or early 90's) where this guy collapsed with a heart attack (I think he was running). This was a man (I wish I could remember his name) who was nationally known due to a book he had written on diet/exercise. He was an avid runner and looked the picture of health. I'm thinking at time of death he was in his late 40's---he wasn't "old". It was found he had severe cardiac disease and was a ticking time bomb even though on the outside he looked to be the epitomy of health.

I think diet/exercise is important, don't get me wrong! But doesn't genetics play a part in our bodies? I know of folks in my own family who are adhering to all of this and still their bodies are "falling apart" and their general health is declining.

My belief is to use common sense and moderation in everything!

Yes, I agree with your post. It's what I was trying to relay last week on another thread.......

Some people, including JIM FIX, the author of the 1977 best selling book, "THE COMPLETE BOOK OF RUNNING", who although apparently attempting to do everything right, died on July 20, 1984, at age 51.

Someone on this forum totally misunderstood everything I said about genetics and our D.N.A. being an important element in our life span, irregardless of what we eat or don't eat......based on personal histories of people I have known in my lifetime.........including those like JIM FIX who exercised & no doubt also ate "well" but still died young.

I take the ornery folks with a grain of salt........sea salt that is...

Instead of worrying over every morsel of food they consume, to the point of being fanatical about it.........perhaps they need a little sugar...or prune juice.

Everything in moderation, from all the food groups......as you said.

Thanks for posting..........many people are born with congenital heart conditions, through no fault of their own.

Life is indeed short.........so why become a "nervous nellie" over every item of food that others choose to consume. All of our days are numbered.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage

This is why I don't agree, let me explain what really happened to Mr. Fixx and share with you the facts.

Fixx started running in 1967 at age 36. He weighed 240 pounds (110 kg) and smoked two packs of cigarettes per day.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack (sudden heart attack), after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

It was reported that Fixx also had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce.

That is not genetics, that is diet

Arteries can be unblocked and opened up that is clear fact on on a plant based diet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
This is why I don't agree, let me explain what really happened to Mr. Fixx and share with you the facts.

Fixx started running in 1967 at age 36. He weighed 240 pounds (110 kg) and smoked two packs of cigarettes per day.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack (sudden heart attack), after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

It was reported that Fixx also had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce.

That is not genetics, that is diet

Arteries can be unblocked and opened up that is clear fact on on a plant based diet.
Jimbo. I know that you are a huge fan of the plant based diet but some of your statements like...it can slow down cancer are just plan controversial and dangerous, I think.

Antioxidants found in plants can protect your body from beginning cancer but it can't stop it if it has begun. I don't know how anyone could say that it slowed it down. There are so many forms of cancer and each is a separate illness.

The plant based diet is not as easy for most people to sustain for the long haul as a sensible diet low in fat, low in meat, and with a lot of whole grains and lots of vegetables. A healthy diet such as espoused by Weight Watchers is an excellent one to follow for the long haul.

Add age appropriate exercise and see your doctor for tests every six months. If you take supplements tell him what they are and listen to his advice on taking them.

It is good that you find the plant based diet is keeping you healthy but it is pretty extreme for most of us.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Jimbo. I know that you are a huge fan of the plant based diet but some of your statements like...it can slow down cancer are just plan controversial and dangerous, I think.

Antioxidants found in plants can protect your body from beginning cancer but it can't stop it if it has begun. I don't know how anyone could say that it slowed it down. There are so many forms of cancer and each is a separate illness.

The plant based diet is not as easy for most people to sustain for the long haul as a sensible diet low in fat, low in meat, and with a lot of whole grains and lots of vegetables. A healthy diet such as espoused by Weight Watchers is an excellent one to follow for the long haul.

Add age appropriate exercise and see your doctor for tests every six months. If you take supplements tell him what they are and listen to his advice on taking them.

It is good that you find the plant based diet is keeping you healthy but it is pretty extreme for most of us.
I knew strict vegetarians / vegans who died of cancer in their 60's and who had the best treatment at Mount Sinai Hospital in N.Y.C. as well as Dartmouth in N.H. Again, they did everything right. I saw their food choices in action. They were very self disciplined and avoided all the less healthy foods.

Veggies are great. I love them. However, other components do play a role in longevity.......or early death.

Maybe the folks who believe in reincarnation are luckier....they don't worry about death and dying so much........knowing they will return.

Perhaps some of our antagonists are evolved souls who know everything.
All I can relay is what I've seen.

In theory it all sounds super great.

However, it does NOT work for everyone with predisposition to various diseases.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Not really, it is based on clinical test trials, where tumors can be reduced on a plant based diet, then enlarged switching to an animal based diet, this was done back & forth the same tumors increasing/decreasing.

Quote:
Antioxidants found in plants can protect your body from beginning cancer but it can't stop it if it has begun. I don't know how anyone could say that it slowed it down.
As you said we are big fans and we both do a lot of reading on the subject, it can be stopped in many cases.
If faced with chemo and it side effects eating veggies is easy after going thru that.
Sure beats doing nothing after treatment.

Quote:
I think if you really took the time to understand it it is not as extreme as you think.

Are the breakfast suggestions we wrote up extreme?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I knew strict vegetarians / vegans who died of cancer in their 60's and who had the best treatment at Mount Sinai Hospital in N.Y.C. as well as Dartmouth in N.H. Again, they did everything right. I saw their food choices in action. They were very self disciplined and avoided all the less healthy foods.

However, it does NOT work for everyone with predisposition to various diseases.
First question is unless you lived with them I doubt you know what their diet truly was.

Second you say it does NOT work, but you don't quote anything to support that position, unless it is based solely on the aforementioned folks.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

A major contributing factor to any disease (dis-ease) is the emotional component, and if a person doesn't pay attention to his/her emotional health then the body will continue to "talk", regardless of the diet you are on. There are many people who understand "body talk" and it is related to what you believe and feel about what you are eating. That is why it is so important to do your best to be happy with your choices. A lot of obesity is related to emotional eating and if the emotional reason for eating isn't addressed, then the person will continue to get messages from the body to pay attention in the form of some kind of "disorder".

My personal belief is that emotional health and the belief that you can handle whatever comes up, is the basis for a good healthy life and from that place you can make choices more easily as to what feels best for you, regardless of what the flavour of the month is. The right foods will feel right not because they make sense, but because they "resonate" with your clearer sense of what you need. JMHO

LW888
Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage

Peppered with jokes but an interesting video

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzINCvQTvcY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzINCvQTvcY[/ame]
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
First question is unless you lived with them I doubt you know what their diet truly was.

Second you say it does NOT work, but you don't quote anything to support that position, unless it is based solely on the aforementioned folks.

I didn't say it wasn't good for you.......I said it didn't work for everyone.
Jim Fixx is a case in point.

Yes, I meant the aforementioned folks as you call them.

I just went to wikipedia to double check my spelling of Jim Fix. You are correct, it should be Fixx......interesting article, which I'm sure you've seen as well...........

If you had continued reading the wikipedia article, you would have seen it mentioned that he was pre disposed to heart disease. In his favor, he did make an attempt at switching to a healthier lifestyle from the cigarette smoking, etc. etc.

Again, with "some people" that I have known and that I have seen what they eat, and refuse to eat, at various get togethers and from what their wives would tell me, it really didn't matter one iota what they "GAVE UP" AS THEY STILL DIED OF CANCER........and it wasn't necessarily the extreme exercising that caused it..........it was in their genetics. Nuff said.

p.s. It doesn't say how tall he was. I know a lot of men who are well over six feet tall who weigh around that and are not obese. It would depend on his height and bone structure. The cigarettes obviously are a no no.........in more ways than one.

Jim Fixx

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.
Contents

[hide] Life and work

Born in New York City, Fixx was a graduate of Trinity School in New York and Oberlin College in Ohio. His father, Calvin Fixx, was an editor at TIME who worked with Whittaker Chambers.[1]
Fixx was a member of the high-IQ club, Mensa,[2] and published three collections of puzzles: Games for the Super-Intelligent, More Games for the Super-Intelligent, and Solve It! The back flap of his first book says: "... He spent his time running on the roads and trails near his home, training for the Boston Marathon."
Fixx started running in 1967 at age 35. He weighed 240 pounds (110 kg) and smoked two packs of cigarettes per day. Ten years later, when his book, Complete Book of Running (which spent 11 weeks at No. 1 on the best-seller list) was published, he was 60 pounds (27 kg) lighter and smoke-free. In his books and on television talk shows, he extolled the benefits of physical exercise and how it considerably increased the average life expectancy.
The cover of his book, The Complete Book of Running, featured Fixx's muscular legs against a red cover. The book sold over a million copies.
In 1980 Fixx wrote a follow up book titled Jim Fixx's Second Book of Running: The Companion Volume to The Complete Book of Running.
In 1982 Fixx published Jackpot!, the story of what happened after the publication of The Complete Book of Running when he experienced the "Great American Fame Machine", becoming richer and more celebrated than he could have imagined. In one account he noted an experience of being on a television show with George Harrison, and noticed that Harrison was not sitting down in the "green" room. Upon inquiry Harrison said that sitting down wrinkles the pants. He had become a guru of the running boom.
Maximum Sports Performance, published posthumously, discusses the physical and psychological benefits of running and other sports, including increased self-esteem, acquiring a "high" from running, and being able to cope better with pressure and tension.
Death

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.[3] Although there were opponents of Fixx's beliefs[who?] who said this was evidence that running was harmful, medical opinion continued to uphold the link between exercise and longevity.[4] In 1986 exercise physiologist, Kenneth Cooper, published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death.[5] Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father died of a heart attack at age 43 and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg).[6]
A carved granite monument — a book with an inscription to Jim Fixx from the people of Northeast Scotland — now stands in Hardwick Memorial Park in Hardwick, Vermont.[7]

Last edited by senior citizen; 07-06-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Interesting bio Senior Citizen and a good example of how emotional stress might have been at the bottom of the "cause" regardless of his diet and exercise. We know from Dr. Bruce Lipton that genetics can be an issue that can be "reversed?" if the belief and attitude is recognized and responded to in a proactive "I can do this" and an "I'm OK" kind of way. The challenge is to recognize the presence of any subconscious programs that are afraid to buy into a new belief. We usually have some vested interest in hanging on to old beliefs and habits. That is why listening to our body works well if we can "hear" it, as the messages are coming from the non-logical part and so we have to go to a trusting place that may or may not be able to be explained....yet!

LW888
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Interesting bio Senior Citizen and a good example of how emotional stress might have been at the bottom of the "cause" regardless of his diet and exercise. We know from Dr. Bruce Lipton that genetics can be an issue that can be "reversed?" if the belief and attitude is recognized and responded to in a proactive "I can do this" and an "I'm OK" kind of way. The challenge is to recognize the presence of any subconscious programs that are afraid to buy into a new belief. We usually have some vested interest in hanging on to old beliefs and habits. That is why listening to our body works well if we can "hear" it, as the messages are coming from the non-logical part and so we have to go to a trusting place that may or may not be able to be explained....yet!

LW888
Well, that's a bit strange because I didn't exactly come away with the same message that you did from Dr. Bruce Lipton. Of course things like being stress free, happy and well nurtured are important. But it's not by far the cure all for everything. So I think it's a little misleading to make it sound that way.

I don't believe he said that genes can be reversed. If I'm not mistaken, he said that genes for disease need to be turned on by something in the persons lifestyle/environment in order to cause disease. He actually downplayed the role of genes by saying that genes don't do very much other than carry a blueprint for the duplication of cells

As far as running: Running can be stressful for those people who tend to think that if something is good then more is better. So they increase their speed and duration to the point of stimulating harmful hormones like cortisol. They, in effect, bring on the very thing they were trying to avoid: A heart attack. (Not long ago I read that running is bad for the heart muscle but I don't remember the details. If I can remember where I read it, I'll tell more about it later.)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran member

I guess using the word "reversed" in brackets wasn't the way to explain what I meant. We are on the same page in essence I think as I interpreted Dr. Lipton to mean that we are not "doomed" by our genetics but in fact can influence our own makeup so that we are not a "victim" to the presence of a particular gene.

The emotional "work" is one of the major pieces that helps us to "change" the outcome so that the gene doesn't get "triggered". or put into play. He is a supporter, I believe, of EFT and similar emotional tools and talks about their importance in helping to shift beliefs.

I remember one trainer telling us that beliefs are only as strong as you choose to make them. They are ideas that we repeat to ourselves and then se sort for their confirmation in the "real world" and as we do that they get bigger and stronger and soon become the foundation stones that we build our conclusions upon.

And we forget that we may have gotten them through our history, our life experience, our teachers etc etc. and that in essence we are channeling them rather than deciding for ourself what we really want to believe and what we want to build our life experience around.

Golly this is getting heavy. Sorry about that. Take what you want and forget about the rest.

LW888

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.