Food 4 thought or not!

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Sage
Default Venus Slams Sjogren’s Syndrome going vegan

Coming off their fifth Doubles win at Wimbledon, the Williams sisters sat down with “CBS This Morning” on Tuesday. Up for discussion? The success of Venus’ raw vegan diet.

Venus first turned vegan in 2011 to battle chronic fatigue and full-body inflammation caused by the auto-immune disease Sjogren’s Syndrome, and reports that “definitely, changing my diet has made a big difference” in fighting the fatigue “so heavy that sitting in a chair is a huge effort.” She points out wryly, “So, as a professional athlete, if you have fatigue, then that’s tough,” adding that Sjogren’s can also cause “joint pain…issues with your internal systems.”

But going vegan has been far from a mistake for the glowing powerhouse! Her holistic system of nutritional management seems to be succeeding where Western medicine offers little hope.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Sage

Two Cardiologists & One Cardiac Surgeon Who Follow an Esselstyn-Style Plant-Based Diet. What's Their Story and What Health Benefits Have They Seen?

Dr. Katz
The Villages Florida

"Why is there so much cardiovascular disease?

There's no question that it's diet related. We're getting fatter, and eating worse than ever before. Colorado is the only state in the nation where less than 20% of the population is obese. In 49 other states, the obesity rate exceeds 20%--and we're not talking about just being overweight. The dietary causes for heart disease & obesity are eating too much fat, too much refined food, not enough fiber, not enough plant protein, and not enough whole foods. 80% of cardiovascular is preventable by diet.

In your opinion, what causes coronary disease--cholesterol or inflammation?

The biggest issue is inflammation of the endothelium--the single layer of cells that line the blood vessels. Animal protein & fats have been shown to be very inflammatory to blood vessels. Both Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn & William Castelli, the lead researcher in the Framingham Study, cite the example of the Nazi occupation of Norway in World War II, when all the livestock in the country was consfiscated, meat & milk consumption dropped, and heart disease deaths plummeted. After the war, when the livestock returned, so did heart disease. On the other hand, those countries with the highest percentage of calories coming from unprocessed plant food also have the lowest incidence of heart disease & cancer.

You recommend "no-added fats" whatsoever for anyone trying to reverse heart disease. What about fish oil?

Yes, no oil whatsoever, including fish oil. Katz gets his omega-3's from ground flaxseed, daily. He seems unconcerned about the issue of conversion of the short-chain omega-3's (ALA) found in flax into the long-chain omega-3's (EPA/DHA) found in fish oil."

read whole story

Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Two Cardiologists & One Cardiac Surgeon Who Follow an Esselstyn-Style Plant-Based Diet. What's Their Story and What Health Benefits Have They Seen?

Dr. Katz
The Villages Florida

"Why is there so much cardiovascular disease?

There's no question that it's diet related. We're getting fatter, and eating worse than ever before. Colorado is the only state in the nation where less than 20% of the population is obese. In 49 other states, the obesity rate exceeds 20%--and we're not talking about just being overweight. The dietary causes for heart disease & obesity are eating too much fat, too much refined
food, not enough fiber, not enough plant protein, and not enough whole foods. 80% of cardiovascular is preventable by diet.

In your opinion, what causes coronary disease--cholesterol or
inflammation?

The biggest issue is inflammation of the endothelium--the single layer of cells that line the blood vessels. Animal protein & fats have been shown to be very
inflammatory to blood vessels. Both Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn & William Castelli, the lead researcher in the Framingham Study, cite the example of the Nazi
occupation of Norway in World War II, when all the livestock in the country
was consfiscated, meat & milk consumption dropped, and heart disease deaths
plummeted. After the war, when the livestock returned, so did heart disease.
On the other hand, those countries with the highest percentage of calories
coming from unprocessed plant food also have the lowest incidence of heart
disease & cancer.

You recommend "no-added fats" whatsoever for anyone trying to reverse heart disease. What about fish oil?

Yes, no oil whatsoever, including fish oil. Katz gets his omega-3's from ground flaxseed, daily. He seems unconcerned about the issue of conversion of the short-chain omega-3's (ALA) found in flax into the long-chain omega-3's (EPA/DHA) found in fish oil."

read whole story. .
Jimbo, I respect what you say, and your lifestyle. However, for some reason, I find it hard to trust the word of doctors that sell diet books and become media darlings.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Sage

Which doctor are you referring to Esseltyn?

A $10 book, I hope not, if that's the case I guess you can't follow any book.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

IMHO, Bill Clinton looks well, awful. I thought he was ill. Thin and pale. As I said, it's just my impression. I'm glad to hear he's not sick.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Sage

common reaction when you're used to seeing someone that was overweight.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Sage

Esselstyn Diet is the most restrictive I've ever seen. I'm convinced it works but have a hard time giving up my Egg Beaters, olive oil for cooking, chicken and fish, and these are not really hugely life threating foods. I've resigned myself to trade off a little of life for enjoying some of the foods I love.
If I was given only a few months to live I would stuff myself with steak, fried foods and cookies.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Only after slipping away from their diet did I have problems such as clogged Cardiod arteries, triple bypass surgery, etc. I've never heard of Esselstyn but will look for his book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Esselstyn Diet is the most restrictive I've ever seen. I'm convinced it works but have a hard time giving up my Egg Beaters, olive oil for cooking, chicken and fish, and these are not really hugely life threating foods.
You're the ideal candidate, your arteries would start to open in as little three weeks.
There are ways to cook without oil, wine, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, you can't deep fry, you have to saute, or very good non stick pan.

If you think Egg Beaters, olive oil for cooking, chicken and fish are not really hugely life threatening foods, over time, fine.
That food put you on the table didn't it?

I can only say is you forgot the ordeal you went thu with bypass and did read the book or see the dvd.

With your condition oil is the most life threatening.
*Oil, it is on the forbidden list of any doctor who I would respect, and for good reason. It compromises the endothelium lining of the blood vessels in so doing plaque develops with blockages, contributes to heart disease, and is the highest calorie density substance on the planet.

I can only lead you to the info that's out there, the rest is your choice.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 07-15-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: * added
Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Default Thanks

Jimbo,

My husband and I watched the video 2 weeks ago. It has given us the inspiration to follow this diet (or attempt to). We have good reason to want it to work. In addition to improving our cardio health, dropping some pounds could only help our joints. We've followed what we thought was a heart healthy diet for years, but neither of us feel a lot better. So far so good since we cut out the meat. We have worked on making sure we are getting enough protein along with an enjoyable variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Keep your fingers crossed for us and thanks again.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Sage

Great, don't worry about the protein at ALL,
there is more than you need in a plant diet.

Any questions please PM or post for others

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.