General question re dental implants.

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Default General question re dental implants.

Old crown came off, two broken teeth. One can be fixed with a root canal. The other needs to be extracted. Endodontics Dr. and office saying $4500 to $6000 after extraction and implant complete. Any experience with implants, cost, procedure as I have never had one. Also Drs. help would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Eternal Member

Yes, I had one done several years ago. I paid a comparable price in Michigan. It's not cheap, but I'm glad I did it. It's two away from the last tooth.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Long story short. Make an appointment with Dental Implants of Ocala. Visit is free. I went yestersday and he gave me all kind of options besides implants. He listens and spends time explaining everything.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
Long story short. Make an appointment with Dental Implants of Ocala. Visit is free. I went yestersday and he gave me all kind of options besides implants. He listens and spends time explaining everything.
But... what was his estimate for an implant with crown? I really didn't want to have a removable object in my mouth. My implant with crown at Bushnell Family Dentist was $5K. Perfect so far. Dr. Novak is a perfectionist and a very nice guy.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage

Just went thru this for my wife needed two implants.

First of all a few of these Dr.s are really crooks, not to say they are bad just pricing.

One said one old one needed to removed, bone graft new implant. 3 hours of anesthetist about $6,000

Then came up with a concocted estimate of another $7,800

I can buy a small car for that.

Turned out that was untrue, hint he's on rt 441 on west side

Then we went to Dr. Johnson, what a difference.
Some of the imaging equipment others did not have, pictures were amazing

For example the anesthetist part was 30 min including extraction.

Total cost $2,000 including 3-4 followups, showed and explained in detail the Xrays and a few sketches.

Never needed a bone graft, in fact said it would be possible in that area.

So we were happy with him, if needed would return.

It wasn't the money so much as being lied to!
(I booked a cruise with the difference)
-----

Part two of deal is the caps, so far $1,400????

Still looking around for at least two other opinions.

.So even at $1400 the total cost would be $3400

Last edited by jimbo2012; 02-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But... what was his estimate for an implant with crown? I really didn't want to have a removable object in my mouth. My implant with crown at Bushnell Family Dentist was $5K. Perfect so far. Dr. Novak is a perfectionist and a very nice guy.
Doing one of the other procedures no implant. Doing a Ribon trreatment for $1000 instead of a bridge or implant bridge at $5000 and $12000 that my local dentist said I just had to have. Like I said worth the 30 minute drive up there for the free visit talk to him. Then have lunch at Mimis.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I had 4 done in 1995, 2 back and 2 front. Still have them today with no issues. So they are 22 years old with no problems. Best decision I ever made vs other solutions. Back then they were about $6500 for all 4. Cost has come down a lot considering inflation. I first checked on doing them in 1983 when they first came out. Went to Buffalo NY to a dentist that specialized in doing them and was told they could not work for me as I needed a thicker jaw bone. I kept checking every couple years and by 1995 it was "sure, no problem" Back then it took almost 9 months to complete. Pins in the jaw bone, 6 months to heal, pin extensions, wait 60 days to heal, then the new teeth mounted on the pins. Today they do it in a couple visits.

If I ever have a need again I would do it no matter the cost. No longer having a partial plate which I had for 30 years was worth every penny.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I remember when implants were quoted at $1500 each.....not including the tooth/crown/cap.

Along way from the numbers I am seeing and hearing today.

We have also learned here over the years, whether it be dental or home maintenance or veterinarians there is The Villages price and attitude factor.

Very often a short ride out of the bubble not only offers more choices, more capability and most are less costly as well.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Just went through this a few days ago. Noticed my crown was loose while flossing, so went to my dentist hoping it just needed new cement. Not the case. Decay under the crown, not much tooth left. My dentist went through all of my options, showing me models of each and explaining the pros and cons of each. My options were a bridge or an implant. The bridge was going to be about $3,300 and involve three teeth (bad tooth, one in front and one behind). Problem is that if a problem should develop with another tooth involved with bridge (and highly likely with my teeth), I'd be looking at another $3,300 or whatever the going price is at that time for a new bridge. The implant is going to be about $3,800, but it's one and done. There are a few steps and a little time consuming, but it's the option I'm going with.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Me too Bushnell. Cost was $5800. Dr Ahmed at Bushnell.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Sage

Well the cost of the implant at $2,000 and $1400crown-
total $3400 with Dr Johnson (352 728 6660) looks very reasonable I suppose
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Sage

Dr. Caylor just did mine yesterday. No bleeding and only took tylenol for the little pain. This is my second one from him with one more to go.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Sage

I had a tooth that split vertically. The whole implant, including crown, was $4,000 in 2005. It's my best tooth 12 years later.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM

I have had several implants. Several were put in at the University of Florida dental school in Gainesville. They were done by the FACULTY PRACTICE DIVISION. They are world class. Dentists come from all over the world to train with them. They also use the best implants implants available. (There are cheap implants- be careful ). These implants were for back teeth on both sides on the upper. I then wanted to replace the front teeth. This would require 3 implants. I had these implants put in by a local Villages dentist who only does implants. Went to one of his seminars and decided to use him. (A little more expensive than UF at Gainesville, but saved the drive). This guy turned out to be a total quack. He put all three implants in incorrectly. It was impossible to fit an acceptable bridge. I ended up back at UF where Dr. William Martin was able to make a bridge that was acceptable. The other option would have been is to remove the implants and start over. This would have resulted in several months to have teeth

I am now in the process of getting two implants on the lowers. UF Faculty Dr Gonzaga is doing these for me. They are using the latest in computer design. A 3D printer to make the drilling guide to assure correct placement of the implant.

I am sure there are great implant dentists in the area. BUT an analogy might be. It takes a five cent nail to fix a roof, but it it is the skill of the roofer to know where to place the nail.

Gainesville may be a little drive. (One hour). But I would never go anywhere else for implants.

Plus, I think you will find they will be less costs than most other dentists. Certainly far less than the local quack I went to who turned out to be incompetent. There are three costs to implants. The implant itself, the abutment to which the crown or bridge attaches plus the crown or bridge cost. For a single tooth I am guessing the cost will be in the $3,000 range. Plus, from my experience sedation is not necessary. Many dentists recommend sedation because it is significant $$$ to them with little cost.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Default Implants and Bridges

Over the years I've had about seven implants and I've got 3 permanent bridges in my mouth. Back in the day, my first two implants were only about $1300 each, another $500 for the crown. Now, the sad part. 20 -25 years ago implants were still pretty much in their infancy. Not blaming the doctor but the materials used were not the best either. Just had to have two of them (the first two) reworked. Implants were fine but the abutments that were used to support the bridge were way too small. Had broken the pins holding the bridge in place twice before (about $1500 per trip) and this was the third time around. As it turned out the company that made all the hardware to go along with the implant had gone out of business so we had to start from there. Had to completely rebuild the abutments on two implants and of course a new bridge to fit. Total was about $6 grand. My advice, get a good dentist who knows what he's doing and I would HIGHLY recommend Rob Penrod; his office is the Colony Shopping Center. It was a hell-of-va job but he stuck with it and I couldn't be happier.
Closed Thread

Tags
implants, experience, complete, $4500, $6000

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.