Guinness is good for you

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
A few years ago I dated a woman born in England. She told me "Guiness is food". All I know is it gives me vivid dreams so it must be full of B vitamins.

I visited the brewery in Ireland and drank it there, served on tap from a bar located on the top floor. It was wonderful! It tasted far better than it tastes from the cans in The States. They display the original recipe there, too.

By the way, in most of the Irish restaurants in which I ate you had a choice among three vegetables, baked potatoes, fried potatoes and boiled potatoes.
There is a sect of monks that brew beer and once a year for several weeks they live on beer alone. It is not Guiness, but it is something very similar. In fact, as I understand it, it is thicker and darker than Guiness. If I recall correctly, they drinks four or five pints a day and stay very healthy during that time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There is a sect of monks that brew beer and once a year for several weeks they live on beer alone. It is not Guiness, but it is something very similar. In fact, as I understand it, it is thicker and darker than Guiness. If I recall correctly, they drinks four or five pints a day and stay very healthy during that time.
They did it for the entire 40 days of lent.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
The Irish believe that Guinness beer is the cure of all ailments, i have always believed that, spending much time on "The Old Sod", and now more than ever i have a craving for Guinness, where all food and drink taste awful, because i have started a regiment of Chemotherapy, the do's and don'ts say no alcohol, but it sure is better the nausea pills.
Is there an Irishman out there that can say "Brilliant"

There are several antinausea medicines that will probably work, if you have the patience and continue to try. If the doc's say no alcohol, there is a reason. Please do everything you can to allow the treatment to work for you. It is not easy, I know that from experience , but it does work a lot of the time. Drink lots of water, take it easy, watch happy things on TV, eat what you can.

Sending good thoughts and warm hugs.

And a few Irish prayers, if you don't mind.

And after this bad time, I will buy you a case. I promise.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
They did it for the entire 40 days of lent.
Yes, it was the Trappist Monks of Germany and they actually did it for 46 days. They created a beer called dopplebock. They originally began brewing beer because of a rule that said that all monasteries had to be self sufficient and not rely on donations so the began brewing and selling beer.
For lent they created dopplebock or double bock which some people say is close to the consistency of bread. There have been other people that have done this for lent as well. They drink four to five pints a day spread out over the day so that they remain functional.
I'd love to know where I could buy some dopplebock around here. I'd really like to try it but most people who do it for lent brew their own.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.