Health Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Health Insurance

Here's a point to ponder.... This is a Hot Button thread. I can assume that all posters are fairly well off financially yet are being strangled by a faulty health care system. Now, picture yourself, a 26 year old air conditioning tech making 27 thousand dollars a year with overtime, married with 1 child... but, his boss (it's a 4 man operation), who pays him a good hourly wage, doesn't offer "benefits". There's 40 million uninsured out there.... Anybody got a suggestion?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Please ponder this thread i started recently

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg89751
Wanabee future TVer
Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoffer
Here's a point to ponder.... This is a Hot Button thread. I can assume that all posters are fairly well off financially yet are being strangled by a faulty health care system. Now, picture yourself, a 26 year old air conditioning tech making 27 thousand dollars a year with overtime, married with 1 child... but, his boss (it's a 4 man operation), who pays him a good hourly wage, doesn't offer "benefits". There's 40 million uninsured out there.... Anybody got a suggestion?
40 million, huh? And that does not count those who pay prohibitive premium costs out of those paychecks, but who can be counted as covered. It's not those who refuse to work. They are covered. This is about the backbone of America.

If politicans do not truly acknowledge the problem then they do not have to deal with it.

And besides, the whole mess is completely overwhelming. Everybody wants to think about it tomorrow.

And those words, "NO SOCIALIZED MEDICINE" well serve the real purpose which is a knee jerk reaction from voters, many of whom, my guess is, have no access to affordable coverage. How's that for irony? But it has to be the case, simply because there are so many who fall into that category. The numbers make that irony so completely obvious. It simply cannot be any other way. Irony, huh.

The cost of gas has also become a part of the distraction from reaction to the need to address healthcare. When the guy that rshoffer is talking about in his post is worried about how he will be able to afford to drive to work, that becomes an immediate problem that cannot be thought about tomorrow.

So you know, it's all working out pretty well for politicians. Wow! Talk about entitlement. Lifetime pensions and healthcare coverage for those elected. Talk about entitlement.

You know, I do this rant from time to time about creating access for early retirees by setting up that affordable access through an early Medicare BUY IN. And then people write about how that would never work because of the system collapse or because it just is not right or whatever. Well, I still think it could be a start. Many early retirees have the money to BUY IN. It's just that there is nothing available worth BUYING into. And costs are out of sight, more and more each year. Affordable access is becoming impossible for so many.

But now that I think about this let 'em BUY IN to early Medicare thing I get so into talking about, a second light bulb just went off, right there above my head.

Maybe everybody who needs it should just be able to gain affordable access to a healthcare plan by being able to BUY IN to the plan that politicians have -- for life.

And I really do believe with every poor little brain cell that I have left that solving this problem of no affordable access to healthcare would give business a tremendous boost. And in many cases, even a lifeline. Especially for small business. You remember small business don't you? The American Dream.

Divide and conquer. That's what the politicians have done to us. This go round -- maybe more than ever.

What we as Americans are not getting is that in order to get a problem solved, we have to make it the problem of those with the power to solve it. And we are not doing that.

And I can tell you right now that covered or not, this healthcare issue is in everybody's pocket. Well, not for those in entitlement programs I guess. You know those programs, don't you? Welfare and career politics.

And here come the boomers. We hit early SS this year. And then on we go, slouching toward Medicare.

There is a book that I have mentioned before on here. The title is Boomsday. The author is Christopher Buckley. He based the premise on Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal." The book is not all that well written, but it is worth maybe taking a look, maybe at least at the reviews that will summarize it for you. The book is categorized as satire. If it gets made into a movie, who knows? There may be some out there who think it is a great idea. And then it will become required reading. Maybe a textbook. No longer satire.

Wow! I sound a little grouchy this morning it seems. I promised myself that I would not write about this on here anymore. And now, here I am. Breaking that promise. Hey, maybe I should be a politician.

Boomer in the Morning

Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Gold member

I agree, Boomer, that is the scenerio:

"Divide and conquer. That's what the politicians have done to us. This go round -- maybe more than ever."

We the people need to stand up and change the rules and enact a law, from here forward
the health insurance that covers the polititians and their famililes shall be the same and no better than the coverage provided to those with the least or "no" coverage. Bet we'd have a solution in a big fat hurry!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.