health insurance between age 55 and 65

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Default health insurance between age 55 and 65

Just wandering what anybody is paying for health insurance until their medicare will take over. Give me plans and prices if you can, Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Gold member
Default Depends

on age and community. If you are a Florida resident you need to disclose that to the agent; otherwise a claim could be denied down the road. I just switched to my (new) husband's retirement health insurance - not much cheaper but lower deductible and allows me to also get dental and vision under his coverage.

I was paying $341/mo thru Aetna AARP, $5,000 deductible, $7,500 out-of-pocket, with Rx coverage and doctor visit co-pays. It was quoted higher, but inexplicable was lowered 3 or 4 mos. later (perhaps Aetna was making over the 20% profit? - not sure if that part of the Affordable Care Act is activated yet). Aetna did not provide an explanation.

Health insurance (private policies) is age and community-banded. 60-64 is my age range. No pre-existing conditions. They do check your medical records - seem able to check Rx records right away and they will ask questions. It is underwritten. The pre-existing condition clause (no higher premium under the ACA) does not take effect until 2014.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
on age and community. If you are a Florida resident you need to disclose that to the agent; otherwise a claim could be denied down the road. I just switched to my (new) husband's retirement health insurance - not much cheaper but lower deductible and allows me to also get dental and vision under his coverage.

I was paying $341/mo thru Aetna AARP, $5,000 deductible, $7,500 out-of-pocket, with Rx coverage and doctor visit co-pays. It was quoted higher, but inexplicable was lowered 3 or 4 mos. later (perhaps Aetna was making over the 20% profit? - not sure if that part of the Affordable Care Act is activated yet). Aetna did not provide an explanation.

Health insurance (private policies) is age and community-banded. 60-64 is my age range. No pre-existing conditions. They do check your medical records - seem able to check Rx records right away and they will ask questions. It is underwritten. The pre-existing condition clause (no higher premium under the ACA) does not take effect until 2014.
I was paying $386 for the same thing through Blue Cross of Michigan, an individual policy for people with pre-existing condition. It was the only thing available in MI for pre-existing condition (by law, each state has to have one health insurer offer that, I believe). I could have paid $700/mo for the same sorts of coverage but lower deductible I took a chance. I think I started that at 62. Now I'm 65 and Medicare has taken over.

The policy covered me anywhere, including out of the country, which we were at the time.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold member
Default cheaper

for Ohio, I was quoted a lower premium, at least by BC/BS, for the same plan as in Florida. BC/BS wanted 25% more for my pre-existing rosacea! That was a $7,500/$10,000 out of pocket plan (if I remember correctly a couple of years ago) - that was an HSA plan (no co-pays, I don't think).

Remember that even if you have a co-pay play, it only covers the doctor visit - if the doctor actually does any treatment, the treatment is extra (e.g., removes and biopsies a mole or lesion, or gives you a cortisone shot).

Be really careful asking what-if questions. One of the policies I looked at had a max on doctor visits or tx at doctor's office - it would not have covered very much for "infusions" I think they are called - another name for chemo? Not sure. If the premium on one policy is a lot different, beware!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
The pre-existing condition clause (no higher premium under the ACA) does not take effect until 2014.
Obama administration moves forward to implement health care law, ban discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions

New rules begin Jan 2014 and do allow rate adjustments for age, up to 3 times the rate for young persons, smoking status, geography (living in a high cost community), and family size. The likely outcome is that those with no pre-existing conditions will be paying a little more, and those with conditions will pay a little less but we will all have coverage. And importantly patients won't withhold information from the doctor because they are afraid that the disclosure of that information will result in a hiked premium or even cancelled coverage.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage
The health care exchanges in Florida, mandated by the Affordable Care Act have not been set up yet, so no one knows what the costs will be. If the OP can hold off buying insurance awhile, these figures should be out sometime this year.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
Just wandering what anybody is paying for health insurance until their medicare will take over. Give me plans and prices if you can, Thanks
I use an Insurance Agent, Rosemarie Pensabene 352-347-6780 (h) of 352-598-0876 (c). She sells all types of insurance under 65 and 65+ Medicare.
She can help you with rates and plans.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM

your best bet is to go on website ehealthinsurance.com
that site will give you quick comparisons of health insurance rates for the county you live in.
i pay around $138 mo for Aetna, $10,000 deductible, which i don't advise. just saying my prayers that i can just hold on to this basic insurance til Oct of this year, and then will find out more about 2014 rates.
so far, no co pays for annual physical for me, and one prescription is zero co-pay. I signed up myself, online, for Aetna thru ehealthinsurance and had no problems.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM

I am looking for an agent that handles both VA Benefit and Medicare
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.