Help Finding New Doctor

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Default Help Finding New Doctor

My wife and I are 2 of the over 10,000 villagers being kicked-out of the Villages Health Care system. Health Insurance is part of our retirement benefits and we can't afford to pay additional funds for something that won't provide any additional benefits. So, we are now looking for a new Internist or General Practitioner before December 31. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good internist or general practitioner? Thanks
The Villages
Old 07-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,392 Posts

Is it really 10,000?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 AM

Any recommendations for quality physicians who are taking new patients?
Old 07-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is it really 10,000?
I was told by a rep from SHINE that it was 15,000. I imagine that it is going to be shear chaos as people look at changing doctors.

Personally, I am up to 23 questions that I will be asking both UHC and SHINE to figure out what we are going to do.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothevillages View Post
My wife and I are 2 of the over 10,000 villagers being kicked-out of the Villages Health Care system. Health Insurance is part of our retirement benefits and we can't afford to pay additional funds for something that won't provide any additional benefits. So, we are now looking for a new Internist or General Practitioner before December 31. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good internist or general practitioner? Thanks
According to some of the usual developer shills (albeit unpaid shills presumably), you aren't technically being "kicked out."

However, imagine being in a general car club and then told that if you didn't buy a new Porsche, you would no longer be allowed to be in the club.

While not technically being "kicked out" of the car club, the net result is the same.

Anyway, good luck to you (and the the thousands of others not being 'kicked out') on finding a new doc that you're comfortable with.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 07-18-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothevillages View Post
We were never allowed into that fine Healthcare system because we have company insurance and that wasn't accepted. We really envied all who could take advantage of it. That said, we have a PCP we like, also a dermatologist, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist and foot doctor. It was not easy to find them. Florida is not tops in this country for excellent health care and that is probably why The Developer tried to provide and hire some good doctors for this community and establish a good health care system like he started good restaurants and a bank and things like transportation systems and even had a first rate furniture store. I think the developers were planning on the backing of USF and they fled for some reason, maybe not enough dough?

It is not easy to find excellent health care in Florida and if you come from Boston, L A, Houston or Cincinnati to name a few meccas of medicine in the U.S.,you will feel the lack deeply.

I have run into some really not good doctors and absolute scam dentists here in this part of Florida.

The best and brightest medical folks are attracted to large nationally accredited teaching facilities I guess.

We still have good doctors here for most things that affect us.

When searching for doctors, ask if they are board certified, and note where they were educated to start. Having a nice personality, or good bedside manner isn't as important as having up to date medical knowledge.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-18-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

I just got my letter, I am on Medicare and have Tricare. Says I don't have to do anything and I can remain in the system. I thought I had read that they were not allowing Tricare for life patients to stay?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:43 AM

The question still remains. Does anyone have the name of a good doctor in the area who can take new patients?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM

This decission by The Villages maybe their down fall?????
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoonya View Post
This decission by The Villages maybe their down fall?????
Why? People have been finding doctors for a long time. I don't think it will harm the company if the healthcare system fails. They tried.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

Many people have supplemental coverage, partially subsidized by their former employer, in addition to traditional medicare. They will be extremely reluctant to give up that coverage for the United Healthcare plan. I sat down with a United Healthcare representative earlier this summer and went over their plan compared to my bc/bs supplemental plan. The agent admitted my current plan is superior, especially to coverage outside their coverage area. In our case we spend several months a year out of TV and would only have limited coverage. Also under what I presently have there is no restriction on where I can go for care if the need arises. As we get older, that is a hard option to give up.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

We're in exactly the same situation and are very satisfied with our BC/BS Medicare supplement primarily for its portability and coverage. We're using Dr. John Im on CR101. In addition to urgent care, Dr Im is taking non-emergency private patients by appointment. We're very satisfied with his care and as an added bonus, his sister Kelly is a nurse practitioner, and part of his practice. Both are extremely easy to speak with. We started with Dr Ready but found his bedside manner lacking.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Default Villages medical

Apparently the Villages only cares about making money. They are now kicking out people who are on medicare with a supplemental plan even if it's from United Healthcare. They are well aware that many people do not want to be stuck with an insurance company who restricts providers and can change them whenever they want. They sold this as a retirement community with great Healthcare who cares but slowly but surely their care is replaced by the almighty dollar.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,607 Times in 5,195 Posts

Norman Novis
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage

This is my understanding.

For healthy people Medical Advantage plans are best for you.

For those who have recurring conditions and may need to be hospitalized, original Medicare with a supplement is best for you. It also gives you a wider range of doctors one can seek, for their medical needs.

Sunday's DS had an article explaining the VHS favors UHC Medical Avantage plans as the doctors can spend 1/2 hours per patient than original Medicare, as that plan is geared for a doctor to spend 10 minutes, per patient. The article also says one receives more coverage for a MA plan for what one pays. If one has OM plus a supplement, they would be spending about $3600 per year. If one has an MA plan, one pays $1260 per year. With an OOP max of $4600. They indicated one could save money and still receive excellent care as the average patient may spend $800 past the $1260 per year.

One has to pick the plan that best needs their needs. For some people OM with a supplement provides peace of mind.

As they say on the cops and robbers shows, "follow the money". It's all about the money. Personally, I am disappointed that one can't switch to OM with a supplement and stay within TV Health network. I personally think they are making a mistake.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
internist, health, additional, benefits, practitioner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.