Hospice Questions

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Sage
Default Hospice Questions

My mother-in-law is 94 and in Michigan. She has been in failing health for some time now and is in a lot of pain most of the time and very weak. Sometimes too weak to talk on the phone. Her family doc sent her to pain management and they are not controlling her pain. Some days she is too weak to get out of bed. She has told us over and over that the end is near and has even been taken by ambulance to the hospital twice thinking she was dying. She sleeps a lot and doesn't do much else. She has heart issues and has had luekemia for years and is on about 15 meds. Can someone familiar with all of this tell me should we insist that her family doctor put her in the hospice home care program so maybe they can control her pain and let her live her life out of pain? I know nothing about how it all works and neither does the rest of the family. They have not mentioned doing it but my sister said she should be under hospice care. Her family doctor no longer will prescribe any pain meds now that pain mgmt is involved.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

No idea how this operates in Michigan. My mother was in assisted living, and had similar problems, but a lot less medications. They contacted me and placed her on Hospice, for almost 9 months, she passed away several months ago.
Try contacting the local county agency on aging, they should have all the info you would need.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The hospice in TV is more short term more for those in end of life stage care.
That is what it was when my mother was there a few years back.
It could easily have changed.
Call them and explain your need they will help you sort out what you should be looking for.

These are the most accomodating, understanding and effective care people you will ever meet in your life.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 PM

My neighbor was diagnosed by his Dr. @ Shands hosp. in Gainsville with cancer in Aug. & was given 3 mo. to live. His wife put him in a hospice care in Coleman on 12/10 & he passed on 12/13.
He had visiting nurses coming daily prior to this time to his home.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Below is a link to Hospice of Michigan. There is a lot of good information in this link. My father in law was in hospice in Michigan and I can't say enough good about the care he received there. Hospice is a great group of caring people. Hope this information is some help to you. Perhaps you should call and talk with them as they can guide you in the right direction.

About - Hospice of Michigan

Last edited by tippyclubb; 12-21-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
Below is a link to Hospice of Michigan. There is a lot of good information in this link. My father in law was in hospice in Michigan and I can't say enough good about the care he received there. Hospice is a great group of caring people. Hope this information is some help to you.

About - Hospice of Michigan
My aunt was put into hospice in Michigan as well as my mom in Florida. One of them stated you can go into hospice, and if the person gets better, then they can go out of hospice. Hospice is there to help. Check out the link they provided. Hospice is wonderful!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Sage

So many nice people on TOTV. So much great advice that I wish I had posted sooner. I went through the Michigan Hospice website and it sounds like she may qualify. It also says the doctor does not have to recommend her, anyone can do it. I will pass all of this info on to the family. I can't say enough about you all for your help. You are wonderful.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

What many people do not realize, is that Medicare provides a free hospice benefit to anyone who qualifies. A doctor must certify that with your current medical problems, you will likely die within six months if they run their normal course. These services may be given at home, or in facilities. I am a hospice nurse and have patients in nursing homes, in assisted living facilities and in their own homes. The program provides nursing, home health aid, social work and spiritual care services. Their sole purpose is to help the patient LIVE each day, pain free and having the best experiences possible.

Good luck to you as you try to navigate these issues long distance. <3

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
What many people do not realize, is that Medicare provides a free hospice benefit to anyone who qualifies. A doctor must certify that with your current medical problems, you will likely die within six months if they run their normal course. These services may be given at home, or in facilities. I am a hospice nurse and have patients in nursing homes, in assisted living facilities and in their own homes. The program provides nursing, home health aid, social work and spiritual care services. Their sole purpose is to help the patient LIVE each day, pain free and having the best experiences possible.

Good luck to you as you try to navigate these issues long distance. <3
Thanks so much. That is comforting to know.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:39 PM

The folks at Cornerstone Hospice are absolutely wonderful, especially Dr. Liebersbach.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Gold member

My father had wonderful hospice care in Michigan. He was given two months to live and they had it almost to the day! At that time (10 years ago), they came to our home almost daily. They now have a beautiful hospice home - Hospice of Lenawee. They told us that they have had people in their care for five years!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:27 PM

I can't say enough about Hospice services. Technically, one's doctor needs to say the patient has less than 6 mos. to live before hospice can be considered. However, one can get better in hospice care and released. Most people wait too long to go into hospice. The average stay is a week. My mother was in hospice in Ann Arbor, MI at "Arbor Hospice" which is a residence. The care was fantastic. The whole family is supported as well with love and information. My mother's stay was about 10 days.
Closed Thread

Tags
pain, family, weak, hospice, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.