Interesting nutrition information

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Interesting nutrition information

13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat - Business Insider
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM

The one that gets me is the label lie. For example look at this label. In the lower left it says 10% fat. Now look at the total calories vs calories from fat. This meat is actually 50% fat, but because they compute the 90% lean and 10% fat claim by weight, which includes water..no calories, they can make the claim.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
The one that gets me is the label lie. For example look at this label. In the lower left it says 10% fat. Now look at the total calories vs calories from fat. This meat is actually 50% fat, but because they compute the 90% lean and 10% fat claim by weight, which includes water..no calories, they can make the claim.

The Villages Florida
THAT ought to be illegal.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post

The Villages Florida
The meat isn't 50% fat, 50% of the calories are fat calories. 1 gram of protien provides 4 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrate provides 4 calories, 1 gram of fat provides 9 calories.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Well isn't it neat that "mainstream" info is finally reporting ideas that havebeen known and practiced by many for some time now. As has been said before, first they criticize, then they ridicule and scorn and then eventually the idea becomes common sense......or something like that. It just takes time to "prove" to those that need the proof. If you can sense the okness of something, then it is probably something that is right for you. Waiting for proof is like waiting for Godot. Learn to trust your own instincts. It is really empowering when you discover that ability within and the more you follow it, the more the body will "talk " to you. Try it, you'll like it.

LW888
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Great article. Sadly, it will take many years to turn the 'nutrition ship' around, especially since the FDA will be the last one on board.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

For me it is a given that if the FDA says there is something wrong then it is worth looking at and researching. I take Lugol's Iodine regularly and there is a skull and crossbones on the label. Now that isn't to say that you can take it indiscriminately but if you do your homework,, you will discover how iodine deficiency is very widespread and how it is necessary for every cell in the body to function well. But that is a whole other story.

LW888
Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Sage
Default There are lies and then there are half truths too!

I've been eating 3 jumbo eggs (Eggland's Best) per week for the past few months to give my iodine consumption a boost. I have one on Mon., Wed., and Fri..

There's no doubt that eggs are rich in certain nutrients. No one that I know of has ever said otherwise. Eggs are high in cholesterol but eggs also contain lecithin and lecithin helps the body dispose of cholesterol.

Having said that, I have some reservations:

1) What if a person has high cholesterol? Should they still be eating eggs because someone said that eggs don't raise cholesterol? It may depend on how many cholesterol receptors you were born with in your body. If you were born with lots of cholesterol receptors, you might be able to eat lots of eggs without raising your cholesterol. But if you have too few cholesterol receptors, you might not be able to get away with it.

2) Notice that the article put no limit on egg consumption. That sends up a red flag that it might have been sponsored by the egg industry. Also, nothing was said about cancer or other degenerative diseases. There are studies that show an increase in degenerative diseases as the consumption of animal protein increases.

So, you have to ask yourself: "Are they replacing a 'lie' with a half-truth?" Studies have shown that your risk for cancer will go up as you increase your consumption of animal protein.

To be continued tomorrow: I'll talk about "A calorie is a calorie."
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
There's no doubt that eggs are rich in certain nutrients. No one that I know of has ever said otherwise. Eggs are high in cholesterol but eggs also contain lecithin and lecithin helps the body dispose of cholesterol.
"
Try Egg Beaters........No yokes which contain cholesterol and you can't taste the difference. I've eaten them for over 10 years.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Sage

I'd say...read the book "Wheat Belly"...it will amaze you what our foods contain. BTW....eggs and good fats aren't bad for us, yet another facily that they're not good for us. Shop the perimeter of the store rather than the middle aisles and you'll be a lot healthier for it.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Sage

2) A Calorie is a Calorie:

"Calories in, calories out." Is it a myth? Yes and no. Of course not all calories are equal. 100 calories from your sugar bowl is not the same as 100 calories from fresh fruit and vegetables. And anyone who recommends cutting 100 calories by eliminating the fresh fruit and vegetables instead of the sugar from your sugar bowl....well, they would be wrong. Duh!

However, when someone says, "calories in, calories out" I assume they mean that you should cut high calorie foods. And high calorie foods are processed foods like pizza, cake, pie, cookies, ice cream, sugary drinks etc..

The whole point of exposing this calorie myth is that they needed an excuse to promote protein. They didn't exactly say "animal protein" but that's what they meant. The point they made in favor of animal protein is that it raises your metabolism and builds muscle, as if muscle would appear magically. And is there any study that shows vegans to be overweight because they don't eat animal protein and have a slow metabolism? No!

Notice there was no promotion of fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains and other healthy foods. And there was no advice to stay away from unhealthy processed foods.

Again, as they did with eggs, they failed to establish any limits. So, I see another red flag: I wouldn't be surprised if the food industry is behind it.

To be continued tomorrow: Myth #3: Saturated fat is unhealthy
Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage

Myth #3: Saturated Fat is Unhealthy.

Is it a Myth? Again the answer is, "yes and no." The devil is in the details. The link claims that saturated fat is not unhealthy.

If the saturated fat comes from natural grass-fed animals it may not be unhealthy in very limited amounts. But they are not making that very clear. You have to dig deeper to find that out and they are hoping that most people won't. That's because this report is very likely inspired or promoted by the food industry.

Probably as many as 99% of people are not getting their saturated fat from grass-fed animals. Not only that but the average person is eating way to much saturated fat. And this report is only too happy to not put any limits on the amount of saturated fat.

Conclusion: What they are really telling you is that saturated fat is not unhealthy under the most ideal conditions of very small amounts from natural grass-fed animals. While they neglect to tell you that you also have to be eating lots of healthy fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains etc..

To be continued tomorrow: Myth # 4
Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Sage

Myth #4: Eating a lot of protein is bad for your health.

Is #4 a myth? Yes and no. The writer decided that the only worry was about bone and kidney health. And he says it's not bad in that regard. But he couldn't think of any other reasons why a lot of protein might be a bad idea. I wonder why? Is it another case of food industry bias?

Here are some reasons why a lot of animal protein is a bad idea: Animal protein speeds up ones metabolism and therefore speeds up cell division. And faster cell division sets up ideal conditions to promote cancer. Also, eating a lot of animal protein will make the body more acidic and cancer thrives in acidic conditions.

It naturally follows that eating a lot of animal protein will have the effect of displacing healthier more alkaline choices like fresh fruit and non-starchy vegetables. Also, a high protein diet is a diet low in fiber and fiber is essential for keeping your intestines healthy and free from rupture. Once your intestines become ruptured you cannot reverse this condition. It's called diverticulitis.

A slower metabolism is healthier in every way. You will require less calories, be healthier, and live longer. One thing healthy centenarians have in common is that they all have slower than normal metabolisms.

Stay tuned for myth # 5 coming up next.

Last edited by Villages PL; 11-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Try Egg Beaters........No yokes which contain cholesterol and you can't taste the difference. I've eaten them for over 10 years.
But egg whites don't supply the iodine for which VPL is eating three eggs a week.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But egg whites don't supply the iodine for which VPL is eating three eggs a week.
Thank you, good point. I was intending to look at the product in the store but never got around to it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.