Knee surgery done from the side

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Default Knee surgery done from the side

Seeking feedback from anyone who had a side entry knee replacement surgery done. Also, if Dr. Nguyen from Orlando performed this procedure on your knee, how are you doing with the new knee?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I had the surgery in 2013 using that method, and Dr. Steve Nguyen was my surgeon. I received top notch care and the results were excellent. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Nguyen.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 AM
Veteran member

I had the side approach knee surgery June of 2016 by Dr Nguyen in Orlando. It healed fast, I convalesced fast and I have a better range of motion in my knee than with the other knee operated on down the middle (muscle was cut as opposed to moved) in 2011. I am very happy with it and would do it again.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Had 2 knees done by Dr Nguyen Dec 2014 and then May 2015 both side approach. Both knees are doing great. I was walking in both cases the day of surgery (using a walker), threw the walk away on the 2nd /3rd day..very little pain...I think a root canal was worst. HIGHLY recommend Dr Nguyen.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Dr. Nguyen did my right knee in October 2016 and I was back to driving school bus in three weeks. No pain meds or walker after three days. He did my left knee January 31st this year and it wasn't as easy but I was off pain meds in the first week. I live in Ohio and came down for both surgeries. Don't hesitate to have Dr. Nguyen do your surgery. His staff and everyone at Dr. Phillips hospital were awesome.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM

Thank you all for your feedback on the side entry knee surgery. My husband called today and has an appointment to talk to Dr. Nguyen next month.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Default Total or Partial Replacement

Make sure that Dr. Nyugen also considers doing a partial knee replacement if appropriate. I have never read anything on this forum about him doing a partial and he's not on the authorized Dr. list for Biomet Oxford partial knee - the one most widely used. Although there certainly are other partials on the market such as with Stryker.

My Dr. ( Duke, in Ocala ) said the other two compartments of my knee are in perfect condition and keeping as much of your own knee is always a better solution. Only about 10% of patients have conditions that make them eligible for a partial.

You might want to visit him just to get a second opinion. Great staff and I was very impressed with my visit with Dr. Duke.

As with Dr. Nyugen, your first visit will be with a nurse practitioner to see if you are a candidate for knee surgery.

My partial is scheduled the third week in March...

Tbear

Last edited by Tbear; 02-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Default knee surgery from the side

i fsaw Dr Nguyen for the first time about six months ago. He told me that I would be ready in about two years -- only one side of my knee had no cartlidge and that the other side was fine. He gave me a gel shot and pills.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 PM
Platinum member

Dr. Nguyen replaced both my knees in 2015. One in July and the other in October. In both cases they were done in day surgery, in at 5, surgery at 7, walked out the door at noon.
Day surgery is only available to you if you are not Mediare (under 65). Over 65, Medicare requires an overnight stay. He has done over 25 surgeries on our street. I was 24 & 25.
Put Dr. Nguyen in the search block above and you will have a lot of reading to do. I recommend him highly.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

From what I understand Dr Nguyen is not a big fan of Partial replacements...reason is for many clients they are unhappy with results and require another procedure for the full replacement. Every case is different, but I think Dr Nguyen would more likely recommend delaying anything rather than take a chance of performing 2 operations on the same knee..subjecting yourself to additional recovery time but moreso the biggest enemy of any operation..infections.

Again I am not saying a Partial knee replacement is not the answer for some people...its just not something that Nguyen will promise you in an office discussion and then what happens during many operations is the Surgeon had to do a full knee replacement.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
From what I understand Dr Nguyen is not a big fan of Partial replacements...reason is for many clients they are unhappy with results and require another procedure for the full replacement. Every case is different, but I think Dr Nguyen would more likely recommend delaying anything rather than take a chance of performing 2 operations on the same knee..subjecting yourself to additional recovery time but moreso the biggest enemy of any operation..infections.

Again I am not saying a Partial knee replacement is not the answer for some people...its just not something that Nguyen will promise you in an office discussion and then what happens during many operations is the Surgeon had to do a full knee replacement.
FWIW, my TKR doctor (great results also) feels the same way about partials as Dr. Nguyen.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, side, surgery, procedure, performed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.