Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville medicare question

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville medicare question

When I was having a major problem with my low back with recommendations for surgery in hand, my primary care doctor recommended having an opinion on the matter from either Mayo Clinic or Shands before going forward with surgery.

After providing all my personal information to Mayo and being assigned a case number, I was then advised that their "quota" of medicare patients was full and would not accept medicare. They said it could be three to six months before an opening.

I do understand Mayo does not bill medicare and payments are made to the patient and there is a possibility that what ever medicare does not cover I would be responsible to pay. I did not pursue going forward with Mayo on a private pay basis.

They also offered to provide me with names of prior Mayo Clinic orthopedics in the area who were now in private practice.

I chose to put my activity via the Mayo Clinic on hold and then proceeded to pursue Shands in Gainesville.

After providing information I was assigned to an orthopedic group and proceeded to get an evaluation of my mri's and xrays.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the use of medicare and the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. I am in the process of educating muself about the validity of the practice of applying "quota" to the number of medicare patients. It seems there is too much latitude for abuse of such metering of health services.

And yes I do have a supplemental policy that winds up covering 100% of my medical treatments.

Experiences and suggestions welcomed.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When I was having a major problem with my low back with recommendations for surgery in hand, my primary care doctor recommended having an opinion on the matter from either Mayo Clinic or Shands before going forward with surgery.

After providing all my personal information to Mayo and being assigned a case number, I was then advised that their "quota" of medicare patients was full and would not accept medicare. They said it could be three to six months before an opening.

I do understand Mayo does not bill medicare and payments are made to the patient and there is a possibility that what ever medicare does not cover I would be responsible to pay. I did not pursue going forward with Mayo on a private pay basis.

They also offered to provide me with names of prior Mayo Clinic orthopedics in the area who were now in private practice.

I chose to put my activity via the Mayo Clinic on hold and then proceeded to pursue Shands in Gainesville.

After providing information I was assigned to an orthopedic group and proceeded to get an evaluation of my mri's and xrays.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the use of medicare and the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. I am in the process of educating muself about the validity of the practice of applying "quota" to the number of medicare patients. It seems there is too much latitude for abuse of such metering of health services.

And yes I do have a supplemental policy that winds up covering 100% of my medical treatments.

Experiences and suggestions welcomed.
I've read before that this is the source of that problem (medicare pays less than cost).

Why the Mayo Clinic is refusing to see Medicare patients
Closed Thread

Tags
mayo, medicare, clinic, assigned, providing, information, patients, quota, pursue, pay, private, proceeded, practice, number, jacksonville, surgery, shands, forward, treatments, mris, evaluation, medical, xrays, 100%, gainesville

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.