Medical Alert devices

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Default Medical Alert devices

I am doing research for a client that lives alone and really needs to get a medical alert system. I have read consumer reports but would like some real world feedback if possible. If you or someone you know has one:
-do you like it (is it uncomfortable to sleep with)
-can you shower with it (most say you can but want to ask)
-how far can you be away from the base (can you be in the front yard or your lanai)
- does it come will an automatic fall alert
-did you get the GPS feature
-how is customer service (I have read this can be an issue if you want to make changes)
-is monitoring in house or outsourced

Thank you for reading. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have and you can PM me as well.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:53 PM

Mom has Philips First Alert with Fall Detection. Her Fall Detection has responded 100% of the time for approximately 5 fall concerns She has fallen 80 feet from the box (outside) and the alert went off. We have recently moved to a larger home and I was out on the lanai... the home is approximately 2700 hundred feet and I heard the operator from the lanai calling to see if she is OK (base was in her bedroom on the other side of the house.. however... it is very important that you measure the whole home to see if the range is long enough. One time when she fell I was busy and the alert went off. I ran from the Lanai and told them I would take care of the situation and let them know if I called 911. I determined 911 was not needed but I had forgotten that I told them I would call them back. They called me 20 minutes after the first alert to make sure my mom was OK. You can't ask for better service. The alert is around her neck. Never a problem with showering and she has never complained about sleeping. I have not pursued a service to track her outside. It is beyond our needs but I would be certainly interested in one that does provide gps, Please PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 PM

Thank you
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

I did a bunch of research in behalf of my dad. We ended up with Medical Guardian. The reviews were all positive. Since he is mobile, I was interested in the GPS system and also a pendant that can be worn in the shower, where the majority of the falls occur. He has had the service a couple years. No complaints! When he needed it (when he fell) the response was quick. They dispatched EMS, then called me. We test the system every couple months by pressing the button. The dispatcher is always glad we are testing and tell us we should continue doing so. One time, we tested it from my house and my dad asked where he was - they had our address nailed perfectly! The only other option I wish was available was the fall alert, but that wasn't available with the GPS and we decided the GPS was more important. Good luck! I would suggest doing a ton of internet research and read, read, read reviews.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:39 AM

I, also, am looking for a medical alert device with fall alert, waterproof, and GPS for my dad. Please continue to post recommendations. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Well I thought I would report back. After looking, reading and making some calls my client decided on the PAL button. The sales person was very nice and it was not really a "hard sell" as some of the phone calls had been with other companies. My client liked that it was local. Installation wasn't bad we could have probably done it but would have taken longer. It took about 1/2 to figure out what outlet would work best.

My client went went the basic (this is where I say it was not a hard sell ) you have a land line and it is good for 600 feet. So basically as long as she can see the house and push the button it will work. So far we have found that if she is anywhere in house or lanai and can talk at a regular level she can have a conversation with the center. The call center is based in UT and there is no real contract just a 30 day notice.

If you can speak they will call your list before EMT if you request. They also have options with fall alert and GPS. Almost all I have researched are waterproof. They pendant doesn't bother her even while sleeping.
Closed Thread

Tags
alert, medical, read, yard, fall, lanai, automatic, issue, thoughts, reading, outsourced, service, customer, feature, front, make, house, monitoring, gps, shower, system, consumer, reports, real, lives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.