Medicare HMO

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Default Medicare HMO

Is any one using a local Medicare Advantage Plan (HMO) and would recommend it ?
I am just turning 65 and moving to TV Oct 22. Need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Default Medicare HMO

I use AARP United Health Care plan in Long Island NY and they are in Florida too. A bit expensive but they cover everything Medicare does not.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:45 AM

As far as AARP..United Health Care goes, is there more than 1 plan to choose from. Do you know if everyone is quoted the same premium or if it is based on prior health record? Also, when you say expensive, could you give me a ball-park figure of the monthly premium. Also, is Medicare something that you automatically become enrolled in when you turn 65 or do you have to apply for it. Sorry for the many questions. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 AM

If you are 65 or older and want a medicare plan such as an advantage or supplement or whatever in The Villages, the plans available to you depend on the county in which you reside. For example, Blue Cross Blue Shield offers a range of plans in Marion County and a completely different and much less attractive set in Sumter County. United Healthcare (aka Secure Horizons or ARRP Healthcare) is similar. I Have not yet looked at which Lake County plans are available.

I have not yet found anyone who can or will explain why the differences exist. Some say it's the state; some say it's Medicare.

Preferred Care Partners (out of Miami) is about to market healthcare plans in the three counties. We'll have to wait to see if there are differences between what's offered.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
As far as AARP..United Health Care goes, is there more than 1 plan to choose from. Do you know if everyone is quoted the same premium or if it is based on prior health record? Also, when you say expensive, could you give me a ball-park figure of the monthly premium. Also, is Medicare something that you automatically become enrolled in when you turn 65 or do you have to apply for it. Sorry for the many questions. Thanks.
You should apply when you are 64. You usually get a form in the mail. But if you don't, call your local Social Security office or go to http://www.ssa.gov/online/

I have heard that Secure Horizons is also good. They are nationwide and have offices in Florida.

You should shop around. Get the plan that works best for your needs. More expensive does not necessarily mean more/better coverage.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

My husband and I have AARP United Health Plan and I think they are excellent. We have had no problem going to any doctor we want. My husband had two operations this year and we have not paid a penny. The cost for the two of us is $289.00 and we have plan J which covers also you out of the United States. I think that is very important for traveling out of the country.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Floridagal: What United Healthcare plan do you have??? I pay $535 for the two of us under plan "J", plus the medications $68.50 each, plus dental $309 every three months.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Platinum member

We have aarp as our Medicare Supplemental. Not J, but does cover overseas travel. It is Health Care Options and costs us $290/month for the 2 of us. Our costs went down when we moved to Sumter County from Tampa. I had 2 surgeries, PT etc this year and didn't pay one penny.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Thank you all for the information. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:48 AM

The $289 and $290 premiums mention "AARP". Is the $535 premium NOT through "AARP"? Perhaps that's the difference and the key to a better premium???
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM

most of my tv doctors have signs posted saying they do NOT participate in medicare hmo plans.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum member

Heres the deal on Medicare supplements: There are plans A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H I and J. No matter the company (Blue Cross, AARP etc) all plans MUST be identical. We have plan C through AARP Health Care Options. Although the plans are identical, prices with each company can vary. In other words, Plan C may vary per company. We had companies say, "We pay our claims quickly. or our rates don't go up as fast as another company." So must do your homework. Our Plan C is $290 for the 2 of us each month. It covers Basic Benefits, Skilled Nursing Co-Insurance, Part A Deductible and Part B Deductible, Foreign Travel Emergency. I chose a plan that did not have a deductible. Like I said earlier, this year I had 2 surgeries and PT and never paid anything. We found Sumter County to be less expensive that Tampa where we lived before.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Thank you for opening my eyes. I should check into this when I finish my move to TV, hopefully before the end of the year.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.