Medicare Nursing Home Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Medicare Nursing Home Recommendations

Mom is currently living in assisted living. When time comes to move her to nursing home, and when her funds are spent down, we are looking for nursing homes in the area.

Are there facilities that will take whatever she gets in social security?

Recommendations please.

Thanks RJM...the location is The Villages.

I'm looking for recommendations that your loved one are comfortable in.

Last edited by Blessed2BNTV; 05-07-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Add location
Old 05-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Mom is currently living in assisted living. When time comes to move her to nursing home, and when her funds are spent down, we are looking for nursing homes in the area.

Are there facilities that will take whatever she gets in social security?

Recommendations please.
You might add the location you are interested in. You do not say where she is living and if you want her to move to where you live.

If you are looking local I would think her current home would have somebody that could tell you all the available facilities in the area. If not there should be a county agency that could give you a list. Then you could post the names of the ones you like to get comments.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I would also check with the existing facility. Sometimes they will accommodate within their own system.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Brownwood Nursing Home in Wildwood which used to be Arbor Village takes Medicaid. It's older but the staff are nice.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:55 AM
KittyKat

RJM, Medicare does not pay for custodial care, only skilled care. You definitely need to speak to the social worker at the current facility. You will probably need to apply for Medicaid; nursing homes have a limited number of Medicaid beds due to the fact that the facility is paid so little. You're probably paying at least $5,000/month for assisted living; I've heard that monthly care at nursing homes can be $7-10,000. If her husband was a veteran there are some benefits for the surviving spouse.

I don't know of any nursing home in this area that I would put my mother in. I would probably take her back to Ohio. I hope that others can give you an answer. They keep building all these fancy assisted living places but no new nursing homes because they are not profitable. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 AM

I would begin by looking at the survey results of all facilities in your target area. All complaints against each facility will be listed as well along with the results of the investigation of the complaint. This will give you some insight regarding other people's experiences with the facility as well as State nursing home surveyors inspection findings. You can search facilities by county or city. Click on each faculty name and it will take you to a demographic page that outlines their licensure details along with a link to their inspection reports. http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/f...itySearch.aspx. I would also go the Medicare.gov and do a nursing home compare report. in this report, you can select several nursing homes in your target area and you will receive a report comparing services and inspection reports.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:52 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

There is a new nursing/rehab being built on 466. There was a moratorium on building new ones, imposed by the State, but that was lifted.
If either parent served overseas and had an honorable discharge, they may be eligible for Aid and Attendant benefit. You have to apply through the VA, it takes a while.
It's also good to know that while in the past, nursing homes were considered the place where those towards the end of life or those with significant issues would end their lives, that has changed to a great extent. Assisted living and memory care communities now do a much higher level of care and with hospice, can often accommodate people until life end. Check out Adult Family Homes, some do take Medicaid, and there are some assisted livings who will take medicaid for the care portion of the cost of living there.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

My wife's mother was in Mission Oaks. She has since passed away, but the care she received was excellent. This facility has care up to memory care, which is where she was located. Costs were around $4000/month (we think) as we did not see that actual bills. The staff was very nice, and they have trips for the patients and other forms of entertainment. They are located on route 301, between 466a and 466.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

It is easier to get into a nursing home being private pay. As funds go down can convert to Medicaid. More difficult to start out as Medicaid.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

Tags
nursing, home, recommendations, living, facilities

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.