Need doctor who does lab tests before check-up, then reviews them with you

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Default Need doctor who does lab tests before check-up, then reviews them with you

I'm looking for a doctor who gives you orders for lab tests before a check-up, then reviews the results with you at the check-up.

I have encountered doctors who expect a non-eventful office visit in order to get the orders for lab tests, then will only call you if they have a concern after tests are run. Then they expect you to schedule another office visit to discuss it.

It would be helpful if they accept Medicare and AARP United Healthcare Supplements. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Gold member

This is SOP (standard operating procedure) with the Dr's in the Villages Heath System. My lab work has always been printed out and given to me to review with the Dr when he comes into the room.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I'm looking for a doctor who gives you orders for lab tests before a check-up, then reviews the results with you at the check-up.

I have encountered doctors who expect a non-eventful office visit in order to get the orders for lab tests, then will only call you if they have a concern after tests are run. Then they expect you to schedule another office visit to discuss it.

It would be helpful if they accept Medicare and AARP United Healthcare Supplements. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
I had the same issue with a doctor in Leesburg. I fired him...after I got a TVH doctor (Melidona?). This doctor worked with me so that he gives me the lab order in advance, then I come in for my physical after he gets the lab results. He also responds to email questions I have on my lab results. Very convenient and cost/time efficient. I don't know if this is a company policy, but this doctor did it for me. Of course, I had to request this process, but he was immediately agreeable with it. Too bad I lose him in December. I got the letter.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
This is SOP (standard operating procedure) with the Dr's in the Villages Heath System. My lab work has always been printed out and given to me to review with the Dr when he comes into the room.

If you are TV Health System you will also have a portal to get your results plus you can handle appointments, communications and other stuff before your visit. Good system.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post

If you are TV Health System you will also have a portal to get your results plus you can handle appointments, communications and other stuff before your visit. Good system.
Yes, a wonderful system. Can digest all lab results and have time to formulate questions. I love The Villages Health.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM

Rivers Family Medicine does labs a week before, and discussed them at the visit. The labs are just drawn in the office, not a visit. They are also posted on the patient portal. Excellent system.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

You don't have to be in The Villages system to get your results ahead of time. Quest emails my blood work results within 3 days.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:

You could go for an office visit. He orders the lab work. You go to the lab and pick up your own results. I have done this. You cancel your follow-up appt.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Rivers Family Medicine does labs a week before, and discussed them at the visit. The labs are just drawn in the office, not a visit. They are also posted on the patient portal. Excellent system.
I second that.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

I also agree with rivers family medicine. They also take Medicare and AARP United health care. I have my blood drawn a week,before I see the doctor and at my appointed time the doctor reads them to you and gives you the report.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Perhaps I don't understand your post. Do you want a doctor that will run tests before you see him/her for an initial visit? How would that doctor know what tests would be necessary before he saw you? Would you call and request the tests you have had before, or have your previous doctor send records? If a doctor had not seen you or read your medical history he wouldn't know what tests you needed. AND some things change quickly. My doctor gives us orders for tests at each visit to be discussed at the next visit, unless we are sick. Many people visit a doctor to stay well.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Sage

You need to differentiate between an initial new patient visit and annual visits after the initial new patient visit. For an initial new patient visit, it is probably not reasonable to assume that routine blood work will be ordered before that visit. I am sure any previous routine blood work results would be useful to bring to an initial new patient visit. For annual visits after that, my Drs. have always ordered routine blood work a week or so before the visits and the results are discussed at the visits. I believe the OP is referring to annual visits and routine blood work so as not to have to schedule two visits. Non routine stuff is, of course, different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Perhaps I don't understand your post. Do you want a doctor that will run tests before you see him/her for an initial visit? How would that doctor know what tests would be necessary before he saw you? Would you call and request the tests you have had before, or have your previous doctor send records? If a doctor had not seen you or read your medical history he wouldn't know what tests you needed. AND some things change quickly. My doctor gives us orders for tests at each visit to be discussed at the next visit, unless we are sick. Many people visit a doctor to stay well.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is for an established patient. Example: After the initial visit in January, let's say you have a 6 month check-up scheduled in July. Some doctors want you to come in for a non-eventful office visit in July where you pick up the blood test order, then have the tests done, then they will call you if they see any concerns. If so, you need to schedule another visit to discuss the test results. That's not how I want to do business with a doctor.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
This is for an established patient. Example: After the initial visit in January, let's say you have a 6 month check-up scheduled in July. Some doctors want you to come in for a non-eventful office visit in July where you pick up the blood test order, then have the tests done, then they will call you if they see any concerns. If so, you need to schedule another visit to discuss the test results. That's not how I want to do business with a doctor.

This is not the way I would do business with a doctor. I would make known my desire to have blood work, prior to my appointment. They should give you paperwork at your previous appointment. so your next appointment contains your blood work results that you can discuss, with your doctor. If not, my favorite saying is, "your fired".

If you have the Villages Health Care system, they have a portal where you view your blood work yourself. Most blood work show the acceptable ranges all items that are tested for. Also, they give you a written summary of your visit of what any problem there is and what you need to do going forward.

Either way, you shouldn't have to wonder if everything is okay.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Default Rivers Family Medicine Test

Rivers Family Medicine posts all of the results of your blood test on a private patient portal. You have the opportunity to review all the information related to your health prior to your visit to your Dr.
Dr. Rivers reviews all of the information upon your arrival and makes educated evaluations of your situation. If you are educated and need to discuss specific results he is more than happy to offer clarity as to test results......gives you all the time you need!
Closed Thread

Tags
tests, lab, check-up, visit, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.