Paleo Infographic

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Sage
Default Paleo Infographic

Why Go Paleo? (Infographic) | LIVESTRONG.COM

Is this truly a "caveman" diet....or just a version of Atkins?

Anyone gone Paleo? The graphics are fun to look at. Click link and keep scrolling down.

Why go Paleo? Lots of positive comments below the "paleo infographic"......
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default know several...

..that have gone Paleo.

One of my friends looked up the life expectancy of a caveman and it said something like 35....so she decided against it. True story!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
..that have gone Paleo.

One of my friends looked up the life expectancy of a caveman and it said something like 35....so she decided against it. True story!!!

I know. I believe you. I read the same exact thing. Go figure, right?

However, in all fairness......they got attacked by wild animals no doubt.

It's a wonder they even survived to 35.

I just thought the graphics were cute.

There's always someone who is still searching....
Whether for a meal plan they can live with ....or whatever in life.

Many I mentioned it to thought it resembled the Atkins diet which did work for a lot of folks years ago........as far as weight loss.

I remember neighbors going on total meat diets.....then later adding the veggies....

Plus...all the fuss about ketones and damage to your kidneys, etc.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM

I did the caveman diet lost 40 lbs and did not feel hungry still am doing a modified version I just fell better
Whe n i don't eat bread or to much dairy
Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 AM

I do a modified version as well. No carbs like gluten - some rice (my only carb) and stay away from candy. most dairy and refined sugar. My daughter is more into it than I but I have health issues and it's made me feel better, settled my stomach, and I've lost 20 pounds. I also feel better than ever.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 PM

We are just getting into it, Mainly low carb, but lots better recipes on Paleo diet. We definitely feel better on low to no carbs.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Here is the website for a lot if recipes. http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

I have made a few things, especially the mushroom soup was very good. I added A tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt to each bowl, very tasty.

I also substitute plain Greek yogurt for anything calling for sour cream
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Why Go Paleo? (Infographic) | LIVESTRONG.COM

Is this truly a "caveman" diet....or just a version of Atkins?
The graphic in your link claims that the Paleo diet is more balanced. It's supposed to contain 30% protein, 40% carbohydrate, and 30% fat. I don't know how cavemen and cavewomen accomplished that without nutrition labels. They didn't have vegetable oil or olive oil so most of their fat came from eating meat, fish and poultry. If their diet was 30% protein, mostly coming from animals, how did they achieve 30% fat, especially when wild game is extremely lean. You could say they got it from eggs, but they would not have had a steady supply without agriculture. So the breakdown of 30%, 40%, 30% doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Anyone gone Paleo? The graphics are fun to look at. Click link and keep scrolling down.
Yes, back around 2005 I bought the book, "The Paleo Diet" and gave it a try for about 2 or 3 months. I was in good health before I started it and I continued to be in good health during the few months that I tried it. I also maintained my ideal weight.....there was no change in my weight during that time. It was around that time that I discovered the "China Study" and the cancer prevention benefits of eating a vegan diet. So I became a vegan.

Quote:
Why go Paleo? Lots of positive comments below the "paleo infographic"......
If you keep reading the comments you will eventually come across a lot of negative comments too. Here are some of my own:

Fiber: There's a good book titled, "The Fiber35 diet" and it claims you should get 35 grams of fiber per day in order to achieve optimum health. But there's no way you will get anywhere near that much fiber with the Paleo diet because animal protein does not contain fiber. You'd be lucky to get 25 or 30 grams of fiber with a vegan diet. The average American loves animal protein, and animal protein displaces plant foods, so the average American only gets about 12 to 15 grams of fiber per day. The Paleo diet does not solve that problem, so that is a negative.

Carbs How did cave dwellers get 40% of their diet to consist of carbs without grains, baked goods etc.? And since when would they have a steady supply of potatoes without agriculture? All plants contain some carbohydrate, but to get 40% they would have had to eat a tremendous amount of leaves and roots. Who among us is willing to get most of their carbs by eating a large amount leafy-green vegetables? And you would need to do that in order to get enough calcium without dairy.

The quality of animal protein: Let's face it, most people who try the Paleo diet are not going to get the same quality of animal protein that cave dwellers got. Wild animals pick and choose what to eat from a wide variety of plants. So lack of quality is another negative.

Exercise Cave dwellers got a tremendous amount of exercise by chasing after wild animals, climbing trees, and finding new areas to gather food. We will never be able to duplicate that, especially in our old age. They had sufficient calcium from eating lots of leafy greens and lots of physical activity to build strong bones. We don't have that and never will, in most cases.

The degenerative diseases of old age Cave dwellers didn't live long enough to develop degenerative diseases, but we do. Animal protein for them represented a concentrated soure of energy so they could survive an arduous lifestyle in the wild. How do our needs, in old age, compare to their needs? What kind of diet is best suited to live healthy into advanced old age? That's what we need to think about.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Here is the website for a lot if recipes. http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

I have made a few things, especially the mushroom soup was very good. I added A tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt to each bowl, very tasty.

I also substitute plain Greek yogurt for anything calling for sour cream
Love that recipe link. A real find. Thanks......

Than you also to everyone who posted earlier...........appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The graphic in your link claims that the Paleo diet is more balanced. It's supposed to contain 30% protein, 40% carbohydrate, and 30% fat. I don't know how cavemen and cavewomen accomplished that without nutrition labels. They didn't have vegetable oil or olive oil so most of their fat came from eating meat, fish and poultry. If their diet was 30% protein, mostly coming from animals, how did they achieve 30% fat, especially when wild game is extremely lean. You could say they got it from eggs, but they would not have had a steady supply without agriculture. So the breakdown of 30%, 40%, 30% doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, back around 2005 I bought the book, "The Paleo Diet" and gave it a try for about 2 or 3 months. I was in good health before I started it and I continued to be in good health during the few months that I tried it. I also maintained my ideal weight.....there was no change in my weight during that time. It was around that time that I discovered the "China Study" and the cancer prevention benefits of eating a vegan diet. So I became a vegan.

If you keep reading the comments you will eventually come across a lot of negative comments too.

To be continued in a minute....I'll give you some negatives. Stay tuned.

Insightful post. I didn't know you had tried it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.