TRICARE Question to Military Retirees

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Default TRICARE Question to Military Retirees

I am on Tricare For Life (TFL) and my wife is on Tricare Standard until July 2012. Was reading some horror stories on an Insurance thread and got to wondering if there is any problems with Tricare coverage in TV? I'm thinking there shouldn't be any problems when we move down next year, but wanted to ask now. I could just call the Service Center here in Montgomery, but wanted to know also if there were any problems with TV area doctors accepting TFL. My wife should be on TFL by the time we move down.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
I am on Tricare For Life (TFL) and my wife is on Tricare Standard until July 2012. Was reading some horror stories on an Insurance thread and got to wondering if there is any problems with Tricare coverage in TV? I'm thinking there shouldn't be any problems when we move down next year, but wanted to ask now. I could just call the Service Center here in Montgomery, but wanted to know also if there were any problems with TV area doctors accepting TFL. My wife should be on TFL by the time we move down.

Thanks.
Bill and I have Tricare4Life and have never had a problem here in TV. Of course, your medical providers have nothing to do with the Tricare account as they bill Medicare directly and it's Medicare that forwards the bill balance to Tricare to pay their calculated amount on that same bill. The coverage is fantastic and we have never had problems with any providers here in TV for about five years now.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Bill and I have Tricare4Life and have never had a problem here in TV. Of course, your medical providers have nothing to do with the Tricare account as they bill Medicare directly and it's Medicare that forwards the bill balance to Tricare to pay their calculated amount on that same bill. The coverage is fantastic and we have never had problems with any providers here in TV for about five years now.
Thanks a million. I felt as long as they accepted Medicare we would be good to go. But as they say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"!!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Great to hear as I am on Tricare for Life also.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Another vote for "NO PROBLEM". That has been the best news since our move to The Villages. Very transparent process. You get the slips from Tri-Care after the bill is paid and file it away. Prescription coverage is good as well. My endocrinologist prescribed a medication that he was relatively sure my insurance would not cover, and presto $9 a month copay - no sweat - no problem.

The good news is that I got in to the VA clinic this week, after a 6 month wait, and now have half a dozen specialty appointments over the next month.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Another vote for "NO PROBLEM". That has been the best news since our move to The Villages. Very transparent process. You get the slips from Tri-Care after the bill is paid and file it away. Prescription coverage is good as well. My endocrinologist prescribed a medication that he was relatively sure my insurance would not cover, and presto $9 a month copay - no sweat - no problem.

The good news is that I got in to the VA clinic this week, after a 6 month wait, and now have half a dozen specialty appointments over the next month.
Hubby Bill has been attending the new VA Clinic here in TV and is so very impressed with the place. He claims the staff is great and the patients are extremely well treated with little or no waiting time. Kudos to whomever is running the place as it is above and beyond the call of duty. Phone calls are returned quickly as well as reminder calls re appts always acknowledged and examinations and medical records so very complete. Highly recommend.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 12-24-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 AM

not knowing that much I have to ask what is tricare? is it only for dav or for any one that was in the servise?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Tri-care is the umbrella medical plan for the US military. There are several sub-sets. I think it is Tri-care Prime for active duty and their dependents, there is also a version that reservists use, which is relatively new. The gentleman that started this thread is probably the resident subject matter expert on that as he was a career reservist. I think at age 60 it may, like active duty and retired change to Tri-Care for Life. That would be the one that covers military retirees. With Medicare and Tri-Care For Life retirees are pretty much totally covered. I suppose there are always exceptions, but I am 69+ and some co-pays for meds has been my only expense, period.

Then I muddied the water and mentioned the Veterans Administration (VA). Their system is even more convoluted in what they provide and to whom, but again, for the veteran with service connected issues, it is, as also mentioned in this thread, very good. They do treat all veterans, military retired or not, but without service connected issues that have been validated they have co-pays and deductibles, which of course vary. The Villages out patient clinic was opened last fall but they are still months away from being fully staffed. I too am impressed with their current operation, having said that. Gainesville is the closest VA hospital.

A very short overview that could start you on a google search lasting hours and hours.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWIS View Post
not knowing that much I have to ask what is tricare? is it only for dav or for any one that was in the servise?
Retired career military only.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Platinum member

Now, I have a question. I should probably start a separate thread, but maybe someone reading this will know. Does anyone have CHAMPVA? We've tried to find out about it, but have not had much success. Is it better than Medicare? Cost for meds? Pre-existing conditions?

Thanks.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Default Tricare at tv

I have 5 doctors and have been to the TV Hospital 2 times and have had no problems with Medicafre or TriCare.
VA Clinic will NOT except Medicare or Tricare.

USN (RET)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

True, the VA does not accept Medicare or Tricare, but they will certainly copy your Medicare card and look at your military ID card. What Chief29 does not point out is that the VA doesn't charge vets for services, although for some VA categories, there may be a co-pay. Although the VA does not accept Medicare or Tricare as insurance for billing purposes, as both are government programs. It would be like the right hand paying the left hand. The VA manual, VA Pamplhet 80-10-01, covers "Private Health Insurance Billing" issues starting on Page 7. They will bill private health insurance providers for medical care, supplies, and precriptions provided for treatment of veterans service-related conditions. They can bill Medicare Supplemental Health Insurance Plans for covered services. The key point is that Veterans (and I quote from the pamphlet) "are not responsible for paying any remaining balance of VA's insurance claim not paid or covered by their Health insurance, and any payment received by VA may be used to offset 'dollar for dollar' a veteran's VA copay responsibility."
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Default Tricare

Not sure how to get word out. Walgreens will be be ending it's contract with the drug company E-scripts. They contract for tricare mail order and drug stores to fill your presciptions I transfered to CVS.

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/market-...ipts-Part-Ways
Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Gold member

If you are retired military and have a service connected disability you go to the head of the line for treatment in VA facilities. Plus if you are receiving a VA comp and have lost some of your retirement pay there is another program CRSC that will make up the difference between your VA comp and what they took out of your retirement pay. CRSC (combat Related Service Compension) is also tax free. Its a dollar for dollar make up.

There is also a program for service connected disabilities but I don't know how that one works. Best thing to do is contact a VA Service representative or the DAV. Lots of new programs for the vets keep checking with the VA.
they ndon't advertise a lot of these programs you, the vet,has to ask for information about them.

Your disability must be combat related not a service connected disability. All RVN vet who have an Agent Orange disability are considered combat related.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.

Last edited by Figmo Bohica; 07-10-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Default Retirement Services Officer

I think this is in line with this thread. Is there an RSO in TV? I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once I move.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.