radiation vs. surgery for lung cancer

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Default radiation vs. surgery for lung cancer

Anybody have any experience with radiation for a small lung cancer? Without getting into to much detail, a partial lobectomy was performed, followed by preventive chemotherapy. A new nodule is at the site of the last surgery staple line. Oncologists are wanting to do radiation, surgeon is wanting to remove the entire lobe and surrounding lymph system...again robotically. Last surgery was February. No spread of disease...organs and lymph system clear. Any experience you've had with this will be helpful. Thanks...
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
Anybody have any experience with radiation for a small lung cancer? Without getting into to much detail, a partial lobectomy was performed, followed by preventive chemotherapy. A new nodule is at the site of the last surgery staple line. Oncologists are wanting to do radiation, surgeon is wanting to remove the entire lobe and surrounding lymph system...again robotically. Last surgery was February. No spread of disease...organs and lymph system clear. Any experience you've had with this will be helpful. Thanks...
I don't know your situation but almost 6 yrs ago & now cancer free I had an upper left lobe removed by traditional surgery. I was at stage 1 so recommendations were no chemo only radiation. I thought long & hard whether I should undergo chemo but in the end I went with my Dr's recommendation & have not regretted my decision. I have no side effects & I can do anything I did prior to surgery/radiation. One side note, I am a lifelong non smoker so this is not just a smokers disease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
I don't know your situation but almost 6 yrs ago & now cancer free I had an upper left lobe removed by traditional surgery. I was at stage 1 so recommendations were no chemo only radiation. I thought long & hard whether I should undergo chemo but in the end I went with my Dr's recommendation & have not regretted my decision. I have no side effects & I can do anything I did prior to surgery/radiation. One side note, I am a lifelong non smoker so this is not just a smokers disease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Thanks...and thanks to those of you that responded privately. I am so glad that worked out for you. They are suggesting the cyberknife radiation, which much more localized than radiation of old. hmmm...food for thought for sure. Many thanks for your reply.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
My mother had lung cancer so I don't have personal experience. I would ask your doctor how the loss of an entire lobe of your lung would affect your quality of life. I don't know how physically active you are so it may not be a consideration. I found with my mother that surgeons want to do surgery whether it is in the best interest of the patient or not. My mother was stage 4. A month after diagnosis she developed a brain met. The neurologist wanted to do surgery even though she only had months to live. I agreed with her oncologist who said that surgery would have been foolish. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
My mother had lung cancer so I don't have personal experience. I would ask your doctor how the loss of an entire lobe of your lung would affect your quality of life. I don't know how physically active you are so it may not be a consideration. I found with my mother that surgeons want to do surgery whether it is in the best interest of the patient or not. My mother was stage 4. A month after diagnosis she developed a brain met. The neurologist wanted to do surgery even though she only had months to live. I agreed with her oncologist who said that surgery would have been foolish. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Thanks! Apparently we use very little of our lungs capacity. Most of the lobe is gone already, so I'm not sure losing the whole thing would be an issue. Lots to think about. Thanks for your reply!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I would go for the surgery. See many every week. It would be my choice rather than chemo or radiation only

Tags
radiation, surgery, lung, wanting, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.