Regarding Gerd and natural helps

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage
Default Regarding Gerd and natural helps

I was told recently to stop omprezole that I was taking for gerd. I've wanted to do this for quite sometime and address it more naturally. Does anyone know of a "healthy" way of doing this. IF with supplements, what brands and also minimal ingredients?! I'm sensitive to gluten, soy, sugar, dairy and more.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I was told recently to stop omprezole that I was taking for gerd. I've wanted to do this for quite sometime and address it more naturally. Does anyone know of a "healthy" way of doing this. IF with supplements, what brands and also minimal ingredients?! I'm sensitive to gluten, soy, sugar, dairy and more.
Was the advice to stop Omeprazol from an M.D.?

Most everyone would have less Gerd if they lost weight, and if you cannot stop Gerd, it can damage your esophagus and may lead to cancer according to what I have been told. I have been taking Omeprazol for a long time.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Most everyone would have less Gerd if they lost weight, and if you cannot stop Gerd, it can damage your esophagus and may lead to cancer according to what I have been told. I have been taking Omeprazol for a long time.
Yes...a doctor (md) told me to do that. Told me to get some supplements which I did and so far helping somewhat. I know about the damage as well as cancer. Omeprazol also causes damage (did you know that?) but eliminating the stomach acids. Long term (which I'm a part of) usage may make it difficult to get off from it. As an aside to my question...I was getting "heart-burn" even while on the omeprazole. I KNOW there's some folks on TOTV that are more holistic in their approach to health, which is why I posted this.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
I uses Alka Seltzer heartburn relief chews when the problem occurs. They help right on the spot. I have found I don't need them every day. The one problem I have found is that when I eat greasy food (deep fried) I get it much worse so I stay away from it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Platinum member

these were among the most over prescribed drugs ever. now they are finding some problems with long term use, but coming off them is VERY difficult. I have tried several times. Seems no matter how slowly I go in a taper, I still get a bad rebound.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Apple Cider Vinegar with the "Mother." Take a shot for acid reflux. If it doesn't subside in 10-15 minutes, take another shot. Some folks take a shot or two every day. It is healthy and reduces acidity. Oh yea, great on a salad with olive oil.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM

Apple cider vinegar for acid reflux - RefluxMD -
(I'm not recommending the book. The article about vinegar simply seemed to make sense.)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage

I've done the AVC...to NO avail. Kind of desperate. Thank you all for your comments and attempts to help me! I know about the "rebound effect" as that's what's going on, I think. I was off omeprazole for about 8 mo. but still had the issues. I'm off sugar so think some of the OTC products (it they have sugars in them) won't help me neither as I have a sensitivity to that.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Sage

bump..... (for puppy day)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Most everyone would have less Gerd if they lost weight, and if you cannot stop Gerd, it can damage your esophagus and may lead to cancer according to what I have been told. I have been taking Omeprazole for a long time.
Data info sheet for Omeprazol, clearly do not take Omeprazole for long-term - since I started taking Bragg Organic Apple Cider plus 2 tablespoons of homemade sauerkraut and homemade Kimchi both fermented (I know must like the taste) I have stopped all medication for GERD and Hiatal Hernia. Although I took Omeprazole only occasionally after reading warning for long-term use the Doctor changed to Famotidine Tabs 40mg which I have but haven't needed to take yet; another medication that works well is Carafate Suspension 10ML. If I do have an occasional flare-up I take this at bedtime. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbush View Post
Data info sheet for Omeprazol, clearly do not take Omeprazole for long-term - since I started taking Bragg Organic Apple Cider plus 2 tablespoons of homemade sauerkraut and homemade Kimchi both fermented (I know must like the taste) I have stopped all medication for GERD and Hiatal Hernia. Although I took Omeprazole only occasionally after reading warning for long-term use the Doctor changed to Famotidine Tabs 40mg which I have but haven't needed to take yet; another medication that works well is Carafate Suspension 10ML. If I do have an occasional flare-up I take this at bedtime. Good luck.
Thank you! I too have done the Bragg's. Can one use the store-bought sauerkraut. Is the Carafate Suspension an RX??
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM
fw102807

I have been using esomeprazole (Nexium) for over a decade and have recently started having terrible abdominal pain and bloating. I went to the Dr and he wanted me to start doubling my dose but I was not going to do that as I have been reading that long term usage of PPIs can lead to Alzheimers and Kidney failure. Instead, I halved my dosage and also started with the apple cider vinegar and I am feeling much better. Next I plan to stop the esomeprazole altogether but I have also read to do it slowly to not suffer the rebound. Turns out as we age our stomachs start producing less acid and the effects of this are abdominal pain, indigestion and bloating. The doctors are far too anxious to write scripts.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I had gerd for many years. Last year, I lost 20 pounds and stopped eating large meals, especially in restaurants, and my gerd is totally gone. I eat 6 or 7 times per day, but no full meals. In my opinion, weight and diet are the most important factors, not medication or supplements.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I have been using esomeprazole (Nexium) for over a decade and have recently started having terrible abdominal pain and bloating. I went to the Dr and he wanted me to start doubling my dose but I was not going to do that as I have been reading that long term usage of PPIs can lead to Alzheimers and Kidney failure. Instead, I halved my dosage and also started with the apple cider vinegar and I am feeling much better. Next I plan to stop the esomeprazole altogether but I have also read to do it slowly to not suffer the rebound. Turns out as we age our stomachs start producing less acid and the effects of this are abdominal pain, indigestion and bloating. The doctors are far too anxious to write scripts.
You're on the right track. Since I posted I started a supplement called DGL (google it) which is licorice. It's helped!! Once in awhile I do the Alka Selzer for heartburn that someone suggested and I haven't had really bad heartburn for nearly 2 weeks now. I do have a hiatal hernia and I'm losing weight so maybe the latter is helping as well. You're absolutely right about omeprazole being a terrible drug and you're going to feel much better getting off from it!! Wish this site was like FB and had tabs that we could click on ie. the "like" tab.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Reply

Quote:
I take a half tsp of baking soda in water, it works and better than Alka seltzer.
Closed Thread

Tags
gerd, supplements, healthy, brands, minimal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.