Rehab centers

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Default Rehab centers

Would appreciate feedback on Freedom Point & The Club rehab facilities here in The Villages. Will be having major spine surgery, and the neurosurgeon has said I will need extensive rehab. Thank you very much.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Sage

Either would be good! I've heard that Freedom Pointe is outstanding so I'd first try for them.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:14 PM

I went to The Club in 2015....I checked out. The worst care.....
Old 02-03-2017, 04:51 PM

I was not impressed at all with The Club. I would highly recommend out patient/ in home rehab if at all possible. Brookdale has the best in home rehab.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Used to be a fan of Freedom Pointe from previous care for my parents. My dad is there now and my opinion has changed. He has been there 5 days - no bathing. We've asked each day and each day there is a new excuse for no help with bathing. He can not take a shower due to staples from a large incision and needs help. Nurses don't seem to care, even when an inquiry is made. Yes, I'm going to speak to the unit nurse tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum member
Wink Visit Both

After extensive spinal surgery I spent almost four months in The Club. They have outstanding whiz-bang equipment for rehab, but their scheduling was terrible. I only received one hour a day of rehab. Everything else was just lying in bed or sitting in a wheel chair.

I had to receive rehab to learn how to sit up in bed and transfer to a wheelchair. I could not stand or walk on my own.

As I said, their rehab equipment was modern and outstanding. Their techniques were varied and effective. A couple of the therapists worked very hard to help me improve as much as I could.

The therapists were sincere, but limited in time. They acknowledged that the scheduler was incompetent.

Visits by the doctor were infrequent and perfunctory. Happily, my wounds (the length of my spine) healed uneventfully.

Nursing care was spotty. The nurse for my wing was competent but rushed. Everything other than administering my medications was delegated to Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA.) Most of them were outstanding and caring people. A couple were duds.

The problem regarding the CNAs was that they were understaffed and overworked. At meal times they had to do double duty delivering meals, which kept them from responding to calls for service by patients. You had to hope that you did not need help getting to the bathroom during meal times. A couple of my best CNAs moved on to other employers. One, super CNA promised me she would not change jobs until after I left.

At Freedom Pointe I was only there for a few weeks while recovering from secondary surgery. Their therapists were sincere and dedicated, but they had virtually no equipment. It could almost be described as primitive when compared to The Club. They, too, only got around to about one hour of rehab a day. The rehab equipment at The Club is far superior.

The food at Freedom Pointe was excellent. A real cut above The Club.

Except for one CNA who spoke virtually no English, the CNAs were adequate, but not as good as The Club.

The Nurses were quite good, especially in view of the fact that they had to tend to my surgical wound, which they did often.

You might want to visit both facilities for a tour, and ask a lot of questions.

Best wishes on success in your surgery from someone who has endured it.

Tags
rehab, neurosurgeon, surgery, spine, extensive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.