Savella (prescription drug)

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Savella (prescription drug)

Is anyone familiar with the drug Savella, used in the treatment of fibromyalgia? Would appreciate feedback from anyone who uses it (or used it in the past and stopped it for whatever reasons). Thank you.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Is anyone familiar with the drug Savella, used in the treatment of fibromyalgia? Would appreciate feedback from anyone who uses it (or used it in the past and stopped it for whatever reasons). Thank you.
Savella to Treat Fibromyalgia: Benefits & Side Effects
Copy and paste this link into your browser. It sums it up for you as far as side effects and all. I also have fibromyalgia and have had a bad flare up lately. I hope this works for you.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum member

it appears to be another medication that does what cymbalta does and effexor.
all affect the neurotransmitters seratonin and norepinephrine. No effexor may not have the FDA indication for fibromyalgia but should work. Cymbalta is for both depression and pain. It looks like this medication actually went for fibromyalgia as it's FDA indication and they are trying to make that look like it makes a difference. Though theoretically, all should do the same thing but in clinical practice, one may work better for a person than another just because we are all aren't identical entities. It will definitely be more expensive than effexor which is available as a generic and probably more expensive than cymbalta which has been out for awhile and if it can work for you will be closer to a less expensive generic coming out.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Savella to Treat Fibromyalgia: Benefits & Side Effects
Copy and paste this link into your browser. It sums it up for you as far as side effects and all. I also have fibromyalgia and have had a bad flare up lately. I hope this works for you.
Thank you for your suggestion. I actually had done the online research; I'm now more interested in hearing of the experiences of those who use--or have used--this medication for fibromyalgia. I live in a constant flare-up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
it appears to be another medication that does what cymbalta does and effexor.
all affect the neurotransmitters seratonin and norepinephrine. No effexor may not have the FDA indication for fibromyalgia but should work. Cymbalta is for both depression and pain. It looks like this medication actually went for fibromyalgia as it's FDA indication and they are trying to make that look like it makes a difference. Though theoretically, all should do the same thing but in clinical practice, one may work better for a person than another just because we are all aren't identical entities. It will definitely be more expensive than effexor which is available as a generic and probably more expensive than cymbalta which has been out for awhile and if it can work for you will be closer to a less expensive generic coming out.
Thank you too for your info. I tried Cymbalta at the suggestion of my pain management doctor. The issue I ran into was that at first it did nothing for me, and as he increased the dose, it continued to do nothing but caused a side effect of forgetfulness! Since it didn't help with the pain, I weaned myself off it and am no worse off but am less forgetful! I don't even want to think about the cost of Savella; my Part D Prescription Drug Plan is an outrage and an insult, but that's a whole other thread....
Old 05-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum member

I'm sorry...but I wanted to point out that if you haven't tried that class of drugs there are less expensive ones you can try first....I am a pharmacist and this is so new, I doubt many have been on it yet, but since it's new your doctor probably has samples so he could give you some to try.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 AM

I have tried Savella. I have fibromyalgia, too. It didn't work for me. Within the first 2 days of using it, I was so severely dizzy that I fell into my dresser and almost knocked it over. My doctor told me to stop it immediately. The dizziness lasted for several weeks. I had to go on motion sickness pills. Good luck with it. I hope it works for you. Keep in mind, I'm not majority of people. So I hope it works for you. I haven't found anything that works for me yet. I've been diagnosed since 2007.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Sage

I have several auto-immune diseases....along with fibromyalgia. Just so you know, we're all different with our diseases and how we react with the meds etc. Some folks will do very well on certain ones, while others see no difference or have bad reactions with them. If you're on Facebook click in fibromyalgia in the search---there are several support links plus you may get some "useful" information as well.

I was put on Buproprion for my fibro (it's a generic of an antidepressant, which name escapes me now), gabapentin and Melexicam along with some others which also address my other diseases. I was told that Buproprion helps with inflammations. I don't know about the medication you mentioned but as one other person said, your doctor may have samples to try. Sometimes they will provide folks with samples (completely) so they don't have to pay the high costs.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM

I am new to the area and I was wondering if there is a social group with this condition that meets please and thank you?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

I was on Savella and it did not work for me. I am now on Cymbalta for about 5 months and I find it is not working either. When I see my doctor next month I am going to ask him to take me off it. So far I have found nothing that works. I do go to Curves three times a week and that does seem to help.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.