Kava Kava

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Default Kava Kava

Looking for a natural sleep aid, occasional insomnia, sleep for a few hours, wake up and have trouble falling back asleep. Have tried melatonin with limited success.
Heard Kava Kava is effective but there are some concerns on possible liver damage.

Curious if anyone has tried it and how it was worked, any side effects? concerns?
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Gold member

Here is what I use. Exercise in the morning. No naps all day. No TV in the bedroom. You may be suprised at how well you will sleep without resorting to meds.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Based on this article, I wouldn't use it.
KAVA: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Sage

I too believe in finding natural means like exercise etc.. I have overactive bladder so I get up about 3 to 4 times per night. If I can sleep for 3 to 4 hours at a stretch I consider that a victory.

One thing I have learned is how to get back to sleep quickly. I do this by meditating. When you meditate you clear eveything from your mind. When I do this, I usually fall asleep, at some point, without realizing it. I believe it doesn't take long but, obviously, I can't time it.

Another trick I use for a better night's sleep is to stay on my feet for a certain length of time before going to bed. I found out by shopping at Walmart one evening. I walked (slowly) around the store and then went home. About an hour later I went to bed and slept soundly for about 4 hours. That was good for me.

If I have trouble getting back to sleep toward morning I will eat a small snack (like 1/2 a banana). It might take 10 minutes or so but when it kicks in, it works like magic. It puts me into a sound sleep.

Night-lights are not good for you because they interfere with melatonin.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the input, eye opening report on effects of Kava on liver. Not worth the risk.
Guess just have to work through it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoreboard View Post
Looking for a natural sleep aid, occasional insomnia, sleep for a few hours, wake up and have trouble falling back asleep. Have tried melatonin with limited success.
Heard Kava Kava is effective but there are some concerns on possible liver damage.

Curious if anyone has tried it and how it was worked, any side effects? concerns?
Thanks.
Tried it once at the county fair here in Hawaii. Made my tongue numb and it tastes like dirt. Pacific Islanders love it and drink it on a regular basis, but then they also chew betel nut for similar effects and it ruins their teeth. I don't know if it damages the liver because I don't plan on drinking it again. Maybe there is someone out there with a better experience, but I will stick to exercise and an occasional pill. Sorry to be so negative about it, but I have had much better experiences! Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.