Shingles Vaccine?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Default Shingles Vaccine?

I am wondering if you have goten the Shingles Vaccine and what your doctor may have told you regarding whether you should or should not get it.

I was reading about this recently and am thinking about things like this as I approach retirement. I did have a mild case of chicken pox in my early teens. I have been told that this makes me a good candidate for getting Shingles as I get older.

Your thoughts?

-KB
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbace6 View Post
I am wondering if you have goten the Shingles Vaccine and what your doctor may have told you regarding whether you should or should not get it.

I was reading about this recently and am thinking about things like this as I approach retirement. I did have a mild case of chicken pox in my early teens. I have been told that this makes me a good candidate for getting Shingles as I get older.

Your thoughts?

-KB

Consider it seriously. We have been witness to several people suffering very VERY badly with shingles. The shot is encouraged for all people over sixty. It made my arm sore but Sweetie didn't have any reaction at all.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Unless your doctor has a reason for you to NOT get it....do not hesitate....we got ours a couple of years back and it was no more reaction than a flu shot = none.

btk
Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Some of my neighbors had shingles and it was not pretty. My insurance paid for the shot so I got it. I have a few years before Medicare kicks in and I understand they will not pay for it. Check with your insurance company. I think it is expensive if you self pay around $250.00.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Some of my neighbors had shingles and it was not pretty. My insurance paid for the shot so I got it. I have a few years before Medicare kicks in and I understand they will not pay for it. Check with your insurance company. I think it is expensive if you self pay around $250.00.
That's good information on the insurance and medicare, thanks.

But to be honest, if getting the Shingles is anything like my friend has experienced, I would pony up the $250 in a heartbeat. Heck if I could afford it I would be tempted to pay $1k to avoid that kind of lingering pain if that is what it cost. Yowza!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM

These posts already have convinced me getting this shot is the way to go. I have my annual physical coming up and this is a topic I will discuss with the Doc.

Thanks for the input. I can always relly on TOTV members to chime in quickly.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Im a nurse and let me tell you I have seen some very nasty cases of shingles. i just got mine this week my are got a little red nothing more. I glad for the peace of mind I now have
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM

I just got mine this past week too. When I was thinking about it and heard the following, I didn't hesitate any longer:
It's the best money you will spend (to get the shot) because if you end up getting the shingles, you would spend millions of dollars without hesitation to get rid of it!
Scared me for sure. But glad I got the shot.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM

4 of us got the shingles shot about 7 years ago. One of us (my brother's wife) still contracted shingles. Her case was not severe.
It's only about 51% effective so I guess we could say we beat the odds.
But we would still do it again.
The vaccine needs to be kept at a proper temperature (cold but not sure of the temp) or it might not be effective.
AND...if you get shingles in your eyes you can go blind.

I bugged my doctor about the proper handling of the vaccine before he gave me the shot so as to hope he gets it right and it was handled correctly.

More info here: Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

Bob
Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Skipped golf with the boys today because I have shingles. So, thought of brousing TOTV and came upon this post. Had to reply. Went to dermatologist a few days back because I had rash like or pimple like symptoms both in my back and front. When it started to become painful and itchy, went to see the doctor and was told I have shingles. Couldn't believe him as I had the shot only last October. I only found out now that it is not full proof. You still can get it. Having been taking pills for a few days and will continue to do so for another week. The pill probably is working as the rash or pimples have not spread and pain seem to be subsiding. I would highly recommend taking the shot as I was told that had I not taken the shot, the pain would have been ten times worth. I shudder at the thought.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

What if you have already had shingles..............does the shot help the second time around or does it stop the second time?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Capecodbob is correct. You can get the injection but it is no guarantee. I had a bad case of the shingles and it is not pleasant. However I have not to this date secure the shingles injection.
My wife and I did get the injection for pneumonia. The injection is good for 5 years. so last year we asked for the injection again and were told that it was not recommended for anyone 65 and older ???????????????????
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What if you have already had shingles..............does the shot help the second time around or does it stop the second time?
I read the link from capecodbob and in that link it did state that it would help you NOT get the Shingles again but that the vaccine is about a 50/50 proposition.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM

If you get the shot for shingles and do happen to get the shingles anyway, it is a much milder case of shingles. Since I have seen family members with shingles in the past it was worth it to me to get the shot. A milder case is better than a full blown case!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Sage

I had the shingles shot last year. No reaction. Medicare paid for it. I had chicken pox when I was 32 (caught it from my children) so I was very worried about getting shingles. I've been getting the flu shot every Oct. for years and have not had flu. Hope the shingles shot works as well.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.