Social Security Disability / Lung Cancer

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Default Social Security Disability / Lung Cancer

Does anyone where I can get some good advice about social security disability...My husband was diagnosed in June..With stage 4 lung cancer.. He is still working and he carries our medical coverage.. After 4 very long rounds of chemo I don't know how long he can do this...We still have a mortgage on the house because he had planed to work till retirement age... Does he have to quit his job.. to start the process?? Does anyone know how long it will take??
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Veteran member

Don't know where you are living (city, State), but it is probably worth talking with an attorney that specializes in Medicare disability cases. If you have someone that knows the ropes, they can get it thru faster.

You should also have a sit down with the human resources folks at his work. He may be entitled to some sort of disability compensation. Depends on the employer and the permutations are too large to answer here. Also how long he can stay on the company medical policy (you really want to stay on it for as long as you can). If you feel that this is going to be too emotional a conversation, bring along a good friend who can listen and help you understand later.

Finally, as painful as it may be, you really should meet with the attorney that did your will, advance medical directives, and medical POA. The time to fix any possible problems is now, while everyone is clearheaded and (mostly) calm. He can also discuss things like choices about retirement funds (IRAs, 401Ks, pension funds). You need to understand things like what you should tap first if you need money now.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypeanut View Post
Does anyone where I can get some good advice about social security disability...My husband was diagnosed in June..With stage 4 lung cancer.. He is still working and he carries our medical coverage.. After 4 very long rounds of chemo I don't know how long he can do this...We still have a mortgage on the house because he had planed to work till retirement age... Does he have to quit his job.. to start the process?? Does anyone know how long it will take??
I believe there are volunteers in The Villages who give social security advice and that should cover disability too. You could call your local social security office or visit them. I'm sure they have booklets on this subject.

One thing I know about it is that the applicant has to be incapable of working. It more or less has to be proved in some way. Usually, people stop working because they can no longer work. But, often, even that is not enough. There's usually a backlog and people typically wait for long periods of time. In many cases, it used to be several years. Lately it has been speeded up, but the best way to find out about your specific situation, other than consulting a lawyer, would be to inquire at social security.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Sage

I don't know anything about ss disability, but I can tell you I have sent a hug and a prayer your way.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I don't know anything about ss disability, but I can tell you I have sent a hug and a prayer your way.
Thank You!!! We need all we can get!!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
When my husband got diagnosed w cancer, he went on disability w Metlife which he had paid into for yrs.
Metlife also said that besides their check, we had to apply to Soc Sec for disability.
We dd.
My husband was 54
Now he is 56, in remission ( but with tons of side effects courtesy of chemo)
We had no problems at all with SS
We had no need for a lawyer.
Your situation might be different, of course.
But he never went back to work
In corporate America once you have been on long term disability for 12 months, they terminate you.
Prayers going your way.
BTW
We have a friend who has stage 4 lung cancer ( diagnosed over a yr ago) , skinny but alive and relatively fine.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
When my husband got diagnosed w cancer, he went on disability w Metlife which he had paid into for yrs.
Metlife also said that besides their check, we had to apply to Soc Sec for disability.
We dd.
My husband was 54
Now he is 56, in remission ( but with tons of side effects courtesy of chemo)
We had no problems at all with SS
We had no need for a lawyer.
Your situation might be different, of course.
But he never went back to work
In corporate America once you have been on long term disability for 12 months, they terminate you.
Prayers going your way.
BTW
We have a friend who has stage 4 lung cancer ( diagnosed over a yr ago) , skinny but alive and relatively fine.

Did your husband apply for the disability while he was still working... my husband is getting sicker each day.. I know it is the chemo.. he also has it in his shoulder and spine..
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Default SS Disability

Quote:
Does anyone where I can get some good advice about social security disability...My husband was diagnosed in June..With stage 4 lung cancer.. He is still working and he carries our medical coverage.. After 4 very long rounds of chemo I don't know how long he can do this...We still have a mortgage on the house because he had planed to work till retirement age... Does he have to quit his job.. to sI tart the process?? Does anyone know how long it will take??
I work with the Social Security Disability program. If your husband has stage IV lung cancer and has worked long enough (20 quarters out of the last 40 quarters) all he needs to do is quit work and apply. It is necessary to stop work to get SS disability benefits. If your husband does apply he would get a quick decision because his condition would be screened as a QDD case (quick disability determination case) and he should have a decision within 1 month. Before he quits work you should definitely go see a local Social Security Office to make sure that all I am telling you is the case. The Social Security Administration will solicit all his medical records in making the decision and this is what takes the time.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM

I work with the Social Security Disability program. If your husband has stage IV lung cancer and has worked long enough (20 quarters out of the last 40 quarters) all he needs to do is quit work and apply. It is necessary to stop work to get SS disability benefits. If your husband does apply he would get a quick decision because his condition would be screened as a QDD case (quick disability determination case) and he should have a decision within 1 month. Before he quits work you should definitely go see a local Social Security Office to make sure that all I am telling you is the case. The Social Security Administration will solicit all his medical records in making the decision and this is what takes the time.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 PM

I worked for Social Security Disibility for 30 years and can answer your questions. I will PM you.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Did your husband apply for the disability while he was still working... my husband is getting sicker each day.. I know it is the chemo.. he also has it in his shoulder and spine..

He statrted 6 month disab thru metlife and when the 6 months were over, long term disability started
He stopped working at the beginning of the 6 month short term.
With doctors' docs, Soc Sec should NOT be an issue.

Will be thinking about you.....
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Default social disability

Quote:

There is a form on line that you can complete. Than make an apt at the Leesburg office. Make sure your bring all information requested...Medical records, last 2 years of tax filing.. Birth certificate.. This will give you a start..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.