Something is biting us!

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Default Something is biting us!

For the last two weeks we have been getting bites on legs and arms. Bites are very itchy and look like a pimple. The itching lasts a few days and then goes away. I sometimes feel something on me but when I look at area there is nothing there. We are getting bit in the house. We have no pets and I bought the home new 5 years ago. I have heard little spiders bites are similar to what I described but I have never seen one and we had house treated about a month ago. Could it be no see ums? If so can house be treated for them. looking to see if anyone has experienced bites like these and what you did about the problem. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
For the last two weeks we have been getting bites on legs and arms. Bites are very itchy and look like a pimple. The itching lasts a few days and then goes away. I sometimes feel something on me but when I look at area there is nothing there. We are getting bit in the house. We have no pets and I bought the home new 5 years ago. I have heard little spiders bites are similar to what I described but I have never seen one and we had house treated about a month ago. Could it be no see ums? If so can house be treated for them. looking to see if anyone has experienced bites like these and what you did about the problem. Appreciate the help.
I am not sure, but could it be bedbugs? They travel from hotels it your home on your clothes, etc. Have you traveled recently?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I am not sure, but could it be bedbugs? They travel from hotels it your home on your clothes, etc. Have you traveled recently?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Thinking the same thing. Purchased any new mattresses? Sometimes the take away mattresses from other customers have bugs that get on new ones being delivered.

Fleas usually bite ankles. Fire Ant bites are more than itchy they burn and blister. We found some gnats coming out of our rarely used bathtub drain and husband put drain cleaner in it.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:25 AM

It's not bedbugs because we have checked numerous times. Haven't purchased any new mattresses. I am going to call my pest people and see if they can do anything .
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
I would put money that you have been bitten by " No See Ums " nasty things.

There are simple ways to treat the bites..Google No see ums...

Next getting rid of them...spray the plants with a pre mix insecticide hook it to your hose and have at it.

This recent rain will help and more rain is forecast overnight tonight ...
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Why was the house treated a month ago when the bites only began 2 weeks ago? Could this be a sensitivity reaction to the chemicals applied 4 weeks ago? Do a google image search for papular or follicular contact dermatitis. Of course those who get their photos in journals have the nastiest cases, but you will get the idea.

If these are bites, there should be a tiny hole or bite mark in the center of each "pimple" that may need a small bit of magnification to easily see. No see ums apparently do NOT live inside the home so if you are sure these "bites" are from an indoor source you will have to find a different predator.

Taking a daily dose of a long acting "non-sedating" antihistamine may be a good thing to try, eg cetirizine.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I would put money that you have been bitten by " No See Ums " nasty things.

There are simple ways to treat the bites..Google No see ums...

Next getting rid of them...spray the plants with a pre mix insecticide hook it to your hose and have at it.

This recent rain will help and more rain is forecast overnight tonight ...
Thanks for the info. I am with you that our problem is No See Ums. I take it they like to hang around shrub type plants. I will try your suggestion and see how it works out. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Eternal Member

Hate to say it but it definitely sounds like fleas. However, like GG said, those are usually on ankles but they do jump very high.

No see ums are most active at dusk and dawn and are outdoors.

Treat the outside yourself for no see ums and have your bug service company do the inside for fleas. The bug service you have most likely has seen what different bites look like and could tell you what they are.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Place white sheet of paper on the floor see what lands on it
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM

I've had the same problem. The "bites" seem to happen after dark, when I'm walking the dog. The area is like a mosquito bite, but is much bigger, turns red and itches for 3-4 days. I had the same issue last fall when it was still sort of warm, went away over the winter, and is now back. It also did not seem to occur last summer when they were spraying for insects.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Definitely no see ums. Been around for years. Cant see em but you sure can feel em. Hence the name
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

I agree also, no see-ums. The past 2 weeks I've been bitten in the house and in my lanai. I believe they are so tiny they might be getting in the screen holes. I keep a light on all night, and notice a lot of tiny dead bugs all around the lamp in the morning. That's it!! I sprayed the whole house with an insect repellent and no more bites or dead bugs. It may be they are in abundance only for a few weeks in the spring (hopefully) and won't bother us again. The bites cover a large area and are very painful and itchy.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This whole thread is making me feel itchy.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This whole thread is making me feel itchy.
LOL, use Gold Bond Lotion, its very good, take it from me.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 PM

chiggers (red bugs) are hard to see, live in grass and ground cover, are characterized by intense itching.
Closed Thread

Tags
bites, house, treated, ago, spiders

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.