Sumter Landing Dental cancels Preferred Care appointments

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Default Sumter Landing Dental cancels Preferred Care appointments

I got a call today from Dr. Fisher's office at Sumter Landing Dental saying that as of the 21st they are no longer accepting Preferred Care and wanting to know if I still wanted to keep my appointment in early Nov. I assumed from the way she stated this, that I would have to pay for the apt. myself and since I am having no problems I said cancel it. I thought our insurance ran until Jan. 1??? Are they any others who have received such a call?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsm1 View Post
I got a call today from Dr. Fisher's office at Sumter Landing Dental saying that as of the 21st they are no longer accepting Preferred Care and wanting to know if I still wanted to keep my appointment in early Nov. I assumed from the way she stated this, that I would have to pay for the apt. myself and since I am having no problems I said cancel it. I thought our insurance ran until Jan. 1??? Are they any others who have received such a call?
That seems odd. I too would think that they would have to wait till the 1st of the new year. They are a provider for the 2013 year and drop out now????
Hmmmm
Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Gold member

We got a call too. Something is fishy, I don't understand it either and was taken aback by the call and didn't even think to ask for an explaination. Wish I had, maybe someone did.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

Obviously preferred care does not provide enough money to participating providers to make continued coverage profitable.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM

During my last appointment Dr. Fisher's office told me I could get someone else to clean my teeth next time as they would no longer accept Preferred Care Partners. They would not offer any reason other than indicate that PCP was going under. I later found out that they were getting much more money from other insurance companies and folks paying cash. I guess that just being honest and telling us the truth was not an option for them.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merled View Post
During my last appointment Dr. Fisher's office told me I could get someone else to clean my teeth next time as they would no longer accept Preferred Care Partners. They would not offer any reason other than indicate that PCP was going under. I later found out that they were getting much more money from other insurance companies and folks paying cash. I guess that just being honest and telling us the truth was not an option for them.
Probably has something to do with PCP being bought up by United Healthcare.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage

We did sign up for the UHC option as most all of our providers were in their network. BUT that said, since we had had PCP, now we don't know who would be our best option for a new dentist in the network. Does anyone here know?? I had a couple of "red flags" go up at my last app't at Dr. Fisher's office so not too sorry we won't be using them anymore.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Another potential reason?

I am NOT saying this is the reason the dental office is no longer working with that particular insurance carrier. I have no idea what the reason is.

I just want to point out there is another potential reason. It is possible that the insurance carrier has discontinued their relationship with the dentist. It happens. I know some health insurance carriers discontinue their relationship with MD's if there have been too many complaints/cases against a particular physician. I expect it happens with dentists as well.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.