Supplement health ins.

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Default Supplement health ins.

Will be leaving our home state of MN . Sold all the shovels and the snowblower. Waiting for house to sell . Soon we hope. We visit The Villages every year. This time will be permanent.
We just found out that our insurance supplement is not in FLORIDA . ( U-CARE ) We will need to switch . Is there any companies that seem to be better then others ? How about a agent that people seem to like and is also good.

The wife is also looking for a good chiropractor. Any ideas

Thanks Rick
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have AARP underwritten by United Healthcare, plan F. It is extremely good and accepted nationwide.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks ,
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have AARP underwritten by United Healthcare, plan F. It is extremely good and accepted nationwide.
Ed, is this a supplemental or an advantage plan? Do they raise the rates on you much?

My husband has Mutual of Omaha, and they raise the rates on him twice a year. It started out at $100 and is now $300, and he's healthy as a horse. He is going to switch when the window is open to do so. We will be looking for a supplemental that will allow us to see any doctor in the US, anywhere.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Me too. Would recommend.
Tampa, FL
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Ed, is this a supplemental or an advantage plan? Do they raise the rates on you much?

My husband has Mutual of Omaha, and they raise the rates on him twice a year. It started out at $100 and is now $300, and he's healthy as a horse. He is going to switch when the window is open to do so. We will be looking for a supplemental that will allow us to see any doctor in the US, anywhere.
This is a supplement Cyndi, although they do offer advantage plans. Mine is plan F which is about top of the line and I pay about $340 per mo for myself and Lila. Increases are annual, and have been modest, maybe 3-5% each of the last three years. My father had this plan before his death and we were his caretakers and handled his affairs, and his claims were always well handled.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM

I think your best bet is to go one Medicare.gov and click on "supplements and other insurance" to find what best meets your needs.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

We also have AARP/ Unitedhealthcare and are very happy with it. It and Medicare can be used anywhere in the country and you choose your own Drs and or Hospital which is important. I had 6 surgeries last year and everything was paid. medicare submits to the supplement. Going to Medicare.gov is also a good idea, becareful of the hmo's or advantage plans.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
We also have AARP/ Unitedhealthcare and are very happy with it. It and Medicare can be used anywhere in the country and you choose your own Drs and or Hospital which is important. I had 6 surgeries last year and everything was paid. medicare submits to the supplement. Going to Medicare.gov is also a good idea, becareful of the hmo's or advantage plans.

We also have had AARP/United Health Care's Supplemental (Plan F) for 3 years and are very happy with it. The only place you can get it (now) is at the United Health Care storefronts in all the town centers. This just happened last year when The Villages Health System opened. Long story. Unfortunate because I loved my insurance agent who can no longer sell it. Found out when I went to see her. She offers other supplemental packages but told us the UHC plan was still the best for us even though she could no longer sell it to us. If you want an honest, helpful agent for other health insurance I HIGHLY recommend Tangee Zutlas at (352) 751-6622.

If you want an Advantage Plan (vs Supplement) and think you will use The Village Health System for your doctor, then the ONLY plan you can use is AARP/UHC.

Personally, we picked Supplement because we travel a lot and we don't have the problem with In-Network you run into with Advantage plans. Our plan even covers foreign travel so we don't have to buy outrageously expensive travel insurance when we go abroad
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

AARP is among the most comprehensive supplements available. We have yet to come across aything, including major illnesses like cancer and surgeries, that are not covered.

I diagree with AARP political positions but cannot fault their products.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
We, also, have AARP United Healthcare Plan J. Plan J is no longer available, luckily we are grandfathered. Excellent health insurance.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I diagree with AARP political positions but cannot fault their products.
The AARP/United Healthcare products should work well for you then, since they are merely United Healthcare insurance programs that UHC pays a fee to AARP for use of their name for marketing purposes.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran member
Default medicare supplement

you can by aarp/united healthcare direct you don't need an agent.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 AM

1. United health plan is sold by other agents. You do not have to use the United health agents who work for the Villages. They are United only and cannot show you other options. Also you can Switch a Medicare Supplement anytime. You do not have to wait for open enrollment which is in Oct and Nov. Medicare advantage has open enrollment, Not Medicare supplements. Remember a Plan F is a Plan F regardless of the company name. Some have Higher cost and some are lower Good luck in your search
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Okay, questions to llaran and Jimmy D.

Is it true you can switch to another supplement (not advantage) at any time?

Where does one go to sign up for United Health supplement if not using an agent?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.