Taste Buds: Why some don't like healthful foods

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
please provide sources
Book: "The Check List" by Manny Alvarez, M.D.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'd like to read the details of this study.
How many people over age 75 were tested and how did they determine the percentage of tastebuds remaining?
Please quote the source of this interesting study.
The taste bud issue was one of ten things that decline with age. No study was mentioned and different studies may yield different results.

To learn more, you might try searching: "Taste Perception with Age"
Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think having a supportive circle of friends contributes more to good health than eating twigs, weeds and cardboard.
Do you have a study to support your idea that a supportive circle of friends contributes more to good health than eating a healthy diet?

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-09-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Book: "The Check List" by Manny Alvarez, M.D.
I found his book and his website. I see he's trying to help people live healthier lives.

If your taste buds start to disappear I would think that different foods, healthier would be the direction to take.

I couldn't stand to even cut blue cheese in the deli i worked in as a kid. Now I will pick that one first. The same with broccoli, brussel sprouts and beets. Wouldn't you agree that stronger flavors would appeal to older people as their taste buds fade?

I think when we were little all the veggies came in a can for most of the year. I hated spinach or asparagus.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you have a study to support your theory that a supportive circle of friends contributes more to good health than eating a healthy diet?
Mayo Clinic for one says a circle of friends is important to good health.
Friendships: Enrich your life and improve your health - Mayo Clinic

And of course Bette Midler
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlQl69Ps6E[/ame]
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post

I am trying to get funding for a study that will support the premise that some of my taste buds grew back from arguing with my friends on TOTV.

I feel bad for doin' that.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:

And of course Bette Midler
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWlQl69Ps6E
Mayo Clinic says that but I don't see any formal study to back it up.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Mayo Clinic says that but I don't see any formal study to back it up.
You think they just make things up or start rumors. It's the Mayo Clinic, not TOTV!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I found his book and his website. I see he's trying to help people live healthier lives.

If your taste buds start to disappear I would think that different foods, healthier would be the direction to take.
Yes, I agree. An apple is better than a piece of apple pie.

Quote:
I couldn't stand to even cut blue cheese in the deli i worked in as a kid. Now I will pick that one first. The same with broccoli, brussel sprouts and beets. Wouldn't you agree that stronger flavors would appeal to older people as their taste buds fade?
That's a complicated question. To some degree yes but I think they usually look for stronger flavors in a way that they find appealing and many don't find bitter flavors appealing. Some vegetables are said to be slightly bitter.

Quote:
I think when we were little all the veggies came in a can for most of the year. I hated spinach or asparagus.
I don't remember too many canned vegetables. Before my mother got married someone told her that her prospective husband would not eat anything out of a can. So I guess she tried to avoid it. But, eventually, we did have some canned items.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

I grew up in New Mexico eating hot chili daily. In high school a buddy and I used to have Jalapeo eating contests. One would think my taste buds would be shot by now but I ended up living much of my adult life where the food was pretty bland. Today when I am in New Mexico I find I can not handle the hot chili anymore so I stick with mostly mild, medium at most.

Moreover at age 73 I am still quite picky about coffee and wine so I must have enough taste buds left to discern their quality and characteristics. I still thoroughly enjoy what I eat and drink.

Might it be a use them or lose them proposition?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
You think they just make things up or start rumors. It's the Mayo Clinic, not TOTV!
Hold the Mayo. It's not good for you.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, I agree. An apple is better than a piece of apple pie.

That's a complicated question. To some degree yes but I think they usually look for stronger flavors in a way that they find appealing and many don't find bitter flavors appealing. Some vegetables are said to be slightly bitter.

I don't remember too many canned vegetables. Before my mother got married someone told her that her prospective husband would not eat anything out of a can. So I guess she tried to avoid it. But, eventually, we did have some canned items.
When I was little in NJ fresh veggies were seasonal and not imported from all over the world. Where were you raised?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
From what I read Warren Buffett literally never touches a green/red/yellow/leafy vegetable. He appears to exist on steaks, hamburgers, potatoes and cherry cokes. Although he does not physically resemble Arnold Schwarzenegger his brain seems to be working quite well.

Humans are omnivorous. We can eat just about anything and survive.

My father seemed to survive mostly on ice cream the last 5 to 10 years of his life and he lived to 94.
On April 17, 2012, Buffett announced that he was diagnosed with stage 1 prostate cancer. There's never any guarantee that eating a better diet will prevent it but cruciferous vegetables are said to contain chemical compounds that protect against cancer. A healthy lifestyle in general is what's called for to improve one's risk of getting any degenerative disease.

We shouldn't count on genes to carry us through to a ripe old age. I've seen many elders in my family live to 106, 100, 97 and 89, but many of their children and grandchildren died at much younger ages.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
I think you need to consider the context of advice coming from the Mayo Clinic or any other such clinic. People go to them for the treatment of some very serious diseases and having a circle of friends can be helpful in that context.

Remember, I wasn't the one who brought up the issue of "healthy diet" versus "happiness". Since when should it be one versus the other. Both have their place in a healthy lifestyle.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
..... "healthy diet" versus "happiness". Since when should it be one versus the other. Both have their place in a healthy lifestyle.
My comment wasn't saying that you have to choose either a healthy diet or happiness.
It was about the health benefits of having a supportive circle of friends!
I'm glad to see you post this message and acknowledge that a strong congenial support group can be just as beneficial as a healthy diet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.