Tricare for Life Shingles shot

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Gold member

I am on TriCare for Life and Medicare. Got the shot at a local pharmacy at no cost to me.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

I asked my gynecologist for a prescription for it (otherwise insurance wouldn't cover it). My gynecologist said he knew nothing about it and wouldn't prescribe it. Good thing I'm moving because I sure won't be seeing this Doctor again.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

Forgot to mention, my gynecologist is my PCP.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I got the vaccine a couple of months ago and here is what I had to do:

1. PCP wrote a prescription for it and they scheduled a visit for the injection in a week.
2. Took the script to Walgreens on 441 across from Lowes and told them to have it ready on the day of my office appointment.
3. Called Walgreens on the appointment date to confirm they’d have it ready.
4. Picked it up at Walgreens an hour before the appointment. It was frozen in a little container.
5. Drove directly to the doctor’s office and received the injection.

I originally tried to get the injection at Walgreens but they said they weren’t administering them and had to use the above procedure. I believe I paid a $50 deductable under my Preferred Care Partner Gold plan.
I belong to Optimum Health Care. They cover everything except for a $69.00
copayment. I will get the shot next friday at my doctor's office. The nurse told me that I don't need an appointment. I will go to Walgreens on Parr Dr. with my prescription and then go to the doctor's office. She said the vaccine is not frozen, but will be packed in ice for the short trip to the doctor.

I could get the shot at Walgreens but decided to have the doctor's nurse do it instead. I trust the nurse more than I trust a store employee.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I belong to Optimum Health Care. They cover everything except for a $69.00
copayment. I will get the shot next friday at my doctor's office. The nurse told me that I don't need an appointment. I will go to Walgreens on Parr Dr. with my prescription and then go to the doctor's office. She said the vaccine is not frozen, but will be packed in ice for the short trip to the doctor.

I could get the shot at Walgreens but decided to have the doctor's nurse do it instead. I trust the nurse more than I trust a store employee.

It was someone who comes into the drugstore routinely to give shots. I assumed she was a nurse. It isn't someone who works there. That is the reason that you have to make appointment. She is there for two or three days every six weeks for the purpose of giving Shingles shots.

I had quite a warm ouchy arm for several days. Assuming my immunity was low to Herpes Zoster.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Gold member

When I received my shot at the pharmacy, it was a nurse that injected the vaccine. She asked me to walk around in the store for 10-15 minutes after I received the injection just in case there was a reaction. No problems, no soreness.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.