Villages ER - awful - Saga continues

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I am a volunteer at the hospital and speak with all the patients after their first night in the hospital. I give my notes to the volunteer who directs patient surveys. She compiles and meets weekly with the administrative team at the hospital. I don't have the hard data, but I would estimate from my notes that well over 85% of patients are happy with the nursing services they are receiving on the floor. Many give very high ratings. One of the questions that I ask in the protocol that I use is whether the patient was admitted through the ER. I then ask about the wait time and the quality of the treatment in ER. While the answer to the time varies, most patients say they were triaged immediately. They acknowledged that they may have had to wait in the waiting room during busy times if their issue was not life threatening. The major delay they tell me is not in being treated in a timely manner but waiting in the ER rooms for a bed to open in the hospital. As to care in the ER, again the vast majority say it was OK or good. As I read these reports, clearly one would assume that the place is a disaster. I have taken my mother there twice in the past year and we were treated immediately and she was admitted to the hospital both times. I do not question the authenticity of any of these reports. Clearly, folks are telling what happened to them. Obviously some people have experienced major delays or problems in treatment. However, I must tell you that I talk to patients weekly and rarely do I hear stories such as these on TOTV. I wonder, do those who have experienced good care in the ER just not speak up?
Good to hear (read) your post!!! We BOTH have gone thru the ER and both of us have had to be admitted though not at the same time. We are amongst the 85% plus of the people who were completely satisfied with our experiences at TVRH. As you say, there most likely are those who feel they aren't or weren't given good treatment. I will say that we used to hear similar comments about the multiple hospitals in our former area, that we moved here from. LARGE hospitals too, I might add! Mayo is a presence in our former home-town and folks there aren't impressed. As our population (U.S.) grows and gets old and health-care is as it is...we may continue to hear about these. I still stand on that my own care here has been exemplary!

One time we had a conversation with one of the volunteers at TVRH. They said, "Can you imagine trying to manage such a facility as this with the population we have?" IF you're unhappy then write letters, call "powers that be" and see if you get some sort of response. Complaining without doing so, on social media, won't bring you results.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Angry

The villages hospital is undesirable for many reasons.My husband was a pt in Feb, we had many complaints.I wrote a letter to hospital administration.Itold them I was disgusted each time I saw a full page add in the Daily Sun stating The Villages is Americas healthiest home town.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Default Good experience

I went to the Villages hospital a few years ago to have three heart stents put in. Treatment was great, people were great, surgery went great. I would go back to them if needed. I have seen horror shows from Leesburg and Munroe while visiting friends who also received poor care at the other hospitals.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leux75 View Post
The villages hospital is undesirable for many reasons.My husband was a pt in Feb, we had many complaints.I wrote a letter to hospital administration.Itold them I was disgusted each time I saw a full page add in the Daily Sun stating The Villages is Americas healthiest home town.
We love the Villages Hospital. Been through the ER several times and have stayed there several times.
Yes, the ER can be very slow as it is in many hospitals, but the care is wonderful !
Not sure what all was wrong when you say, undesirable, many complaints, disgusted, etc.

Last edited by Bonny; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I am a volunteer at the hospital and speak with all the patients after their first night in the hospital.
Thank you for volunteering. However if I were a hospital administrator I would do my survey after the first night while the patient was still in the hospital. The patient has gone from very frightened to stabilized,and is hopefully pain controlled both of which are a big improvement from the day before, and is still subject to the quality of the care which is going to be received over the next hours and days while still in the hospital. Of course they are going to be both feeling better [pleased] and cautious about complaining. I'd add that the great majority of complaints are about the ER not the inpatient units. Maybe the administration should have you walking about in the ER doing a survey of how satisfied patients down there are feeling. Maybe even make it anonymous and not face to face so there is no pressure to be socially pleasing. Say a cell phone app that allows people to rate the care every 15 minutes, a series of scales looking at wait time, courtesy, housekeeping, being kept informed, comfort. These are features the waiting patient can intelligently rate.

It is uncommon for diners to complain about a bad meal while still in the restaurant even though there is no concern that the staff is going to be cooking their next meal. Server asks "How was the meal" "Fine" but all along they complained to their dining mates about the quality. Which report is the accurate one? The complaint to the friends at the table or the "fine" given the server?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Thank you for volunteering. However if I were a hospital administrator I would do my survey after the first night while the patient was still in the hospital. The patient has gone from very frightened to stabilized,and is hopefully pain controlled both of which are a big improvement from the day before, and is still subject to the quality of the care which is going to be received over the next hours and days while still in the hospital. Of course they are going to be both feeling better [pleased] and cautious about complaining. I'd add that the great majority of complaints are about the ER not the inpatient units. Maybe the administration should have you walking about in the ER doing a survey of how satisfied patients down there are feeling. Maybe even make it anonymous and not face to face so there is no pressure to be socially pleasing. Say a cell phone app that allows people to rate the care every 15 minutes, a series of scales looking at wait time, courtesy, housekeeping, being kept informed, comfort. These are features the waiting patient can intelligently rate.

It is uncommon for diners to complain about a bad meal while still in the restaurant even though there is no concern that the staff is going to be cooking their next meal. Server asks "How was the meal" "Fine" but all along they complained to their dining mates about the quality. Which report is the accurate one? The complaint to the friends at the table or the "fine" given the server?

There have actually been studies about surveying patients while in the hospital. The data is skewed because patients are concerned they will be mistreated if they complain while still in the hospital. Almost all hospitals survey patients after discharge for this reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
There have actually been studies about surveying patients while in the hospital. The data is skewed because patients are concerned they will be mistreated if they complain while still in the hospital. Almost all hospitals survey patients after discharge for this reason.

No one has ever asked me while I'm in the hospital how things were. I always get a call after I'm home to see how things were.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

The follow up calls at home are standard practice with all hospitals asking mainly how your recovery is going, nothing to do with the ER. I would never go there again the ER reception area is disgusting. I always give restaurants a second chance if I had a bad meal or bad service, an ER is a whole different ballgame. Even if some of these complaints are not 100% true, they should have an independent survey firm asking key questions sent to the patients after they are home. Complaining here as noted earlier does no good.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

Went to Leesburg Hospital ER this morning after a nasty fall last night. Was checked in, X-rays taken, examined by PA, and out the door in an hour with two prescriptions. Excellent service. Check out person said busiest day is Monday. She said patients call their physician Monday morning, can't get an appointment, then come to ER. Their web site shows waiting time in ER. BTW, living in Lake Deaton, it is faster for us to to go to Leesburg than to The Villages Hospital.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The follow up calls at home are standard practice with all hospitals asking mainly how your recovery is going, nothing to do with the ER. I would never go there again the ER reception area is disgusting. I always give restaurants a second chance if I had a bad meal or bad service, an ER is a whole different ballgame. Even if some of these complaints are not 100% true, they should have an independent survey firm asking key questions sent to the patients after they are home. Complaining here as noted earlier does no good.

Hospitals perform several types of surveys. The one most people are familiar with is the survey after being discharged as an inpatient. Then there are those that are done following an outpatient procedure. And another survey is performed for ER patients. Sample size varies based on the total number of patients receiving care in a given area. The surveys are done by professional firms and the results are provided to various organizations, including CMS (Medicare).

Physicians are required to do the same type of surveys.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 PM

I have been trying to educate myself on TV. My brother, who lives in Bradenton, said to avoid TV. I was concerned because I have not found much negative about TV until now. The houses and other activities seem fine, yet dental and healthcare seem very lacking with many stories sounding like elderly abuse. I have UHC Advantage, but live in the Northeast. My wife had Merkel Cell Cancer for which medical costs approached $80K, but my out of pocket was at best $1500. So medical care is paramount for me. After reading the responses, I may forget TV. I have never heard so many horror stories. My wife gets a CAT scan every 6 months, and we are 3 yrs now with nothing found.

I do want to thank everyone for providing the information.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaribe View Post
I have been trying to educate myself on TV. My brother, who lives in Bradenton, said to avoid TV. I was concerned because I have not found much negative about TV until now. The houses and other activities seem fine, yet dental and healthcare seem very lacking with many stories sounding like elderly abuse. I have UHC Advantage, but live in the Northeast. My wife had Merkel Cell Cancer for which medical costs approached $80K, but my out of pocket was at best $1500. So medical care is paramount for me. After reading the responses, I may forget TV. I have never heard so many horror stories. My wife gets a CAT scan every 6 months, and we are 3 yrs now with nothing found.

I advise people who have significant health care concerns that they might want to think twice about moving to a rural area such as this....good luck!!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Default Recent Visit to Fenny

I am still working things out. Came down for my grand childs graduation and went to Fenny. Saw a house at $724K, but had a problem with it. My brother bought in Bradenton at $250K couple of years ago. Comparing "Apples to Apples" his house is larger, has a bigger pool, and is still in a closed Golf Community. At this point I have to rationalize the extra expense. Now the medical issue is still paramount, but we are 45 min from Boston or NYC and my wife's doctors are in Providence. So I guess we will continue to deal with this.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Sage
Default Villages ER - awful - Saga continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaribe View Post

Just a little information for you. My wife and I both grew up in the Boston area. She is an RN trained at Massachusetts General Hospital. We both have some issues common to those our age, and she has MS. We have successfully found local physicians who provide quality care. When sub-specialty care has been needed, we (and our internist) have identified very competent physicians within an hour of The Villages. It used to take longer than that to get into Boston from 25 miles away.

Everything is a matter of perspective.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Just a little information for you. My wife and I both grew up in the Boston area. She is an RN trained at Massachusetts General Hospital. We both have some issues common to those our age, and she has MS. We have successfully found local physicians who provide quality care. When sub-specialty care has been needed, we (and our internist) have identified very competent physicians within an hour of The Villages. It used to take longer than that to get into Boston from 25 miles away.

Everything is a matter of perspective.

We too have found competent physicians here in The Villages including, GP, ENT, Gastroenterologist, Cardiologist*, dermatologist, endocrinologist, and opthamologist *Our Helene must see specialty doctors in Cincinnati once a year and we both see the oncologist there once a year too. Gainesville has a large teaching hospital and a lot of expertise up there, and it isn't far, an hour or so.

Tags
hospital, villages, submitted, insurance, leesburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.