Villages ER - awful - Saga continues

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
My father in law was having chest pain and went to TVRH. He was triaged and told to have a seat in the waiting room, it would be a while. He got up and told the nurse "I'd rather die at home." How sad is this??? When I lived "up North", I had a bout of severe chest pain. I went to our ECC and they took me right in. This is the way it should be with chest pain. I also noticed that nobody at TVRH ECC offers to get a wheelchair for those in need. I watched a man, who could barely walk, drag himself into the ECC at TVRH and not one person offered him assistance. Again, up North, the ECC staff would have gotten a wheelchair and assisted him. I cannot believe the lack of care here.
Yes when I was there sick as a dog with food poisoning I sat and sat and finally when I went back I had to walk the long hallways with the orderly about 20 steps ahead of me. Finally I got his attention and asked for a chair.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM

My friend was taken to the ER the other night by ambulance. I followed in my car because her husband couldn't go for medical reasons. She laid there in such pain for about an hour before a doctor came in. When he did he said they were going to do a CAT scan. After the scan, he told her he thought she had Chronen's disease. When her GI doctor came in, he said, no, she doesn't have Chronen's disease. Also, was told that they only had two doctors in the ER in the evening. About 15 people were in the waiting room when we got there (I had to stay there until they finished getting her in bed). About 4:15 I saw a young man who had been in the waiting room when I got there just being released. What a joke that place is.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvgolf View Post
My friend was taken to the ER the other night by ambulance. I followed in my car because her husband couldn't go for medical reasons. She laid there in such pain for about an hour before a doctor came in. When he did he said they were going to do a CAT scan. After the scan, he told her he thought she had Chronen's disease. When her GI doctor came in, he said, no, she doesn't have Chronen's disease. Also, was told that they only had two doctors in the ER in the evening. About 15 people were in the waiting room when we got there (I had to stay there until they finished getting her in bed). About 4:15 I saw a young man who had been in the waiting room when I got there just being released. What a joke that place is.
This happens all over in most all hospitals. Our friend experience a similar situation in Leesburg last Wednesday.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 AM

No, as evidenced by these posts, as well as previous posts, The Village Hospital ER is uniquely horrible. I've personally experienced the tender mercies dispensed there more then once. Never again. Since both TVH and Leesburg are under the same management, it sounds as if Leesburg, based on this last post, is being dragged down to the same miserable level.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
No, as evidenced by these posts, as well as previous posts, The Village Hospital ER is uniquely horrible. I've personally experienced the tender mercies dispensed there more then once. Never again. Since both TVH and Leesburg are under the same management, it sounds as if Leesburg, based on this last post, is being dragged down to the same miserable level.
The Village Hospital ER is uniquely horrible.

You have no idea. Kings County ER in Brooklyn---we averaged about 5-6 gunshot wounds and 8-9 stabbings each night. There were 2 trauma OR's just off the ER that were in use 24/7. The waiting room consisted of church pews, 2 wide and 16 rows deep, yet people were sitting on the floor. The average wait if you didn't have a critical condition was 17 hours. The ER docs spoken very little English, and were usually busy studying for some FMG exam. As a 4th year medical student, I basically ran whatever section of the ER I was in. Sound bad?---Not really, since it was 10 times better than Methodist Hospital or Brooklyn-Cumberland
The main problem at TVRH ER is inefficiency. It would take a good ER director less than a month to straighten out the problems I saw there, including some personnel changes. The one time my wife was there, it was medium busy. She had to stay an hour or so on a stretcher in the hallway, but they started all the lab tests and CT scan. She was admitted and in her room in less than 5 hours. The nursing care on the floor was excellent, as was her hospitalist. Again, and I've said it before, TVRH has 37,000 ER visits each year---where would everyone go without it? And what would the other local hospital ERs look like with that additional load?
As far as all the anecdotal horror stories that get posted on this site go, I'm sure the people relating them believe that is what happened, but many of them make no medical sense whatsoever. And with all due respect, like Judge Judy says, "If it doesn't make sense, then it isn't true"
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If TVH ER is really that terrible why do SO many people still use it? Guess because there are people with no insurance that go there because they have to be treated. So if you have insurance why not try the Urgent Cares or a Hospital outside of this group. See how that works out for you. Remember also IF you call an Ambulance you will be going to either TV or Leesburg unless it's a Trauma Alert. Myself I use Urgent Cares if at all possible. If I go to the ER I know it's going to be a long wait. As I said in earlier posts having ridden with EMS I know it's the same up North where I was.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
If TVH ER is really that terrible why do SO many people still use it? Guess because there are people with no insurance that go there because they have to be treated. So if you have insurance why not try the Urgent Cares or a Hospital outside of this group. See how that works out for you. Remember also IF you call an Ambulance you will be going to either TV or Leesburg unless it's a Trauma Alert. Myself I use Urgent Cares if at all possible. If I go to the ER I know it's going to be a long wait. As I said in earlier posts having ridden with EMS I know it's the same up North where I was.
I doubt that's the reason. ALL hospital ERs are required to see patients that show up, even if they don't have insurance. But in this 55+ community, I'm sure a majority of patients have Medicare, and those under 65 are very likely to be insured given the affluence of TV. There may be some people from Lady Lake/Summerville that use TVRH, but I'd bet the majority of patients are Villagers. So why so busy---just the age of the population, and the seasonal influx of an additional 40,000 in the winter. The other reason is simply staffing, which may or may not be adequate.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We have used TV hospital on several occasions and have had no real problems. The otherhalf has had two major surgeries there and I have had one. The surgical care was exceptional, the nursing staff went above and beyond to care for us. The wait in the ER is somewhat longer than one wants to sit and wait, but with a roomful of aging patients what can you expect.

If it is so bad there, people, go somewhere else! Drive half an hour to Ocala, drive half an hour to Leesburg or Waterman's, you have other choices. The fewer people who use this beautiful hospital, the less the wait time will be for those of us who appreciate having a hospital ten minutes from home. My local hospital used to be Beth Israel in Boston - have you ever seen a major hospital ER, it is bedlam, makes ours look like a walk in the park.

If, like me, you ever get a call at midnight saying your husband's diagnosis is cancer and he needs you ..... you will be damned glad you have a hospital ten minutes away where you can come and go 24/7!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 PM

My neighbor just mentioned to me that she went to Ocala Regional location on Hwy 441 here in the Villages Area. She said they are located below a billboard sign about their service. Within 10 minutes she was taken by staff to an examination room and the finger surgery she needed was address. I myself entered the ER with a neighbor because I was so seriously ill and I left after two hours. Initial information was taken. I returned to the ER by ambulance two days later and received excellent care for eight days. I understand the frustration and happy to know your wife found the care and healing she needed.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Sage

Think of the hospital here....it's slammed during "high season" and less so in the other months. Just how would you manage it if you were put in charge??? I've had 3 experiences in the ER and my other half one each--in TVRH and LRH. ALL went fine...though the waits were long. Have you ever counted the ambulances that come in the que?? While there the last time we observed a drug over-dose, a stroke and heart attack victim (one of each) and that's only what we actually observed. We're blessed to have so many options in our area to choose from but I'd just bet each one experiences the "awful" reports to OP and others like him report. I doubt in a large city hospital you'd be ushered right in and seen immediately neither. The hospital here serves more than villagers...we live in an area with several communities. Go anywhere in this area and the general population have grey hair...so add that to what the assessments of the hospital. It's still like a smaller town facility with the expectations and issues of a much larger community.

Last edited by NotGolfer; 02-13-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Location: Lived in Abingdon, MD now live in Village of Hadley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
You say your heart rate was all over the place and you should have been taken immediately yet then you say you got disgusted and left. Obviously this was not an emergency case even for you if you were okay to just leave.
Bonny, you are right, I should have explained more thoroughly. After six hours my heart rate suddenly went back into a normal rhythm. It came on suddenly and left suddenly. I went to the doctor the next day and they are putting me on a holter monitor. Sorry about that.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM

We had similar experience. Waited 4 hours only to be told they could not do anything for my wife except give a referral. Then billed the insurance for $1500. I would never voluntarily use this ER again.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I mean I simply can't believe what is being said here. Why I have read practically everyday since moving here 10 years ago in the Daily Sun's two-three page coverage of the high quality health care facilities and continuing improvement in the Hospital and you people are still complaining.

Are you saying the Daily Sun's news articles about health care in TV isn't what they purport it to be?
Blasphemy !
Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If everyone who has a complaint about TV Hospital would take that complaint to the state, something might be done.

Check out this webpage and maybe get some kind of action.

AHCA: Complaint Administration Unit
Old 02-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I mean I simply can't believe what is being said here. Why I have read practically everyday since moving here 10 years ago in the Daily Sun's two-three page coverage of the high quality health care facilities and continuing improvement in the Hospital and you people are still complaining.

Are you saying the Daily Sun's news articles about health care in TV isn't what they purport it to be?
Blasphemy !
See if they will do an article on the ER.
No way that will ever be sanctioned/allowed.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, villages, submitted, insurance, leesburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.