Villages Health Care-Advantage plans

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpicchi View Post
I hope everyone that is going to buy a home in The Villages is well informed of this health insurance clinch before buying ......some how I doubt that will happen.
Why should VHS be a factor in buying a home in The Villages. There are plenty of good physician groups and individual doctors here. Really no need for VHS anyway. We were great here before they got into health care and we will be great here if they get out.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybye View Post
Why should VHS be a factor in buying a home in The Villages. There are plenty of good physician groups and individual doctors here. Really no need for VHS anyway. We were great here before they got into health care and we will be great here if they get out.
I agree 100%. The way that post sounded, there weren't any homes sold here until they started TVH 3-4 years ago. Hmmm....
Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

We have The Villages Advantage and earlier this year the in-network my wife needed was just inconvenient to go to, basically a bit over a 3/4 of an hour away. Sent in a request to UHC to go to an out of network provider in the Villages and it was approved in just a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Even then, if someone needs a service that is not available at all in network, they will approve out of network coverage.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Sage

Another unpleasant thought about The Villages Health Medicare Advantage plan is if you become seriously ill, say in October, and you are still ill the following January, you are looking at $4,400 total out of pocket cost twice, or $8,800 in the span of a few months.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableb08 View Post
I am new to TV, 2015, and joined the VHS because I talked to a rep from United and he told me I should keep what I had because it was better than what they would offer.
PLUS, I could keep my heath plan, retiree Medicare and supplemental, BC/BS of MD.
I have never had any problem w/ my current health plan coverage. As a matter of fact, I just had a knee replacement by the top Ortho in the area, and my out-of-pocket expense was <$200 vs. original cost of $ 85K.
Now I am being told change to VHS plans or go find another PCP- damned this is not easy to do, where do you find who is good or not so good???
Just had hip replacement surgery, $82,000, our cost $250 with Village advantage plan. Could not be more pleased. Btw, hip is great. Dr Messieh.
I was ready to play golf after 2 weeks, but doc said "cool it",
Old 08-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
All I can tell you people is to read the schedule of benefits for both plans! If we had a Medicare Advantage plan when Sheldon was going through his cancer treatments we would be living under a bridge about now. Medicare Advantage may be great when you are relatively healthy but I guarantee it is not so great if you have get seriously or chronically ill.

Could you elaborate?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
All I can tell you people is to read the schedule of benefits for both plans! If we had a Medicare Advantage plan when Sheldon was going through his cancer treatments we would be living under a bridge about now. Medicare Advantage may be great when you are relatively healthy but I guarantee it is not so great if you have get seriously or chronically ill.
I agree with this completely. However, in your (Sheldons) situation.....if you had a Medicare advantage at the time, wouldn't the out of pocket max (which I'm assuming would have been met) been (or equal to) the monthly payments of a secondary (medigap) policy?

I'm trying to make a change and trying to figure out the best way to go.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds51 View Post

As someone in the process of learning about the differences between the various options available, I found this video very informative. Thank you for posting it.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I agree with this completely. However, in your (Sheldons) situation.....if you had a Medicare advantage at the time, wouldn't the out of pocket max (which I'm assuming would have been met) been (or equal to) the monthly payments of a secondary (medigap) policy?

I'm trying to make a change and trying to figure out the best way to go.
Gerryann, (and others reading these posts):
Contact SHINE, ask them your questions they will provide an UNBIASED review or information on the various plans. There are potential 'gotchas' on both sides. If you go with an ADVANTAGE plan, you may have difficulty getting back to a Supplemental plan. If you go with a supplemental plan, you will have a monthly cost, BUT YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE (except VHS). Way too many other items to list here. SHINE will be a great help. I am not sure if you will get the same UNBIASED info from the villages health care offices.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM

I really think we all have to use common sense and ask ourselves does ANY business really make significant business changes in order to benefit their customers financial standing??? And don't fool yourselves, in spite of the VHS being a medical practice, it's a business. They will only make this big change because it's going to benefit THEM financially! If you think this is about benefiting US financially, you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
care, health, advantage, villages, pays

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.