Villages Health and Tricare

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Default Villages Health and Tricare

Just trying to figure out if anyone uses TV Health with Tricare secondary and if it works. Right now I have original Medicare with Tricare as a supplement. Most all say that TV health is fantastic IF you can find the correct physicians and their staff can figure out how to bill Tricare. The issue finding medical care points you to the Medicare website which is WORTHLESS often out of date or the doctors no longer take Medicare, incorrect contact information, etc. I have resorted to word of mouth recommendations with various results, some good, some bad. A common thread is over crowding, poor administration and lousy scheduling procedures. One can count on showing up on time, waiting at least 30-45 minutes to be seen and only a few minutes with a physician or PA. We came from Colorado with Kaiser HMO and I was never delayed and billing was always correct to Tricare. Never payed a cent with a major surgery and follow up radiation. All the docs had my complete history and I could email each one or get refills of scripts over the phone. This place is in the dark ages. JMHO Just wondering if The Villages Health will take Tricare secondary and handle the bills??
Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,240 Posts

Here is my understanding, please contact VHS directly to confirm and SHINE to get unbiased information.
If you are UNDER 65 then as I understand it, you can use VHS, when you turn 65, you have no other option but to go with a Medicare ADVANTAGE plan to stay with VHS.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Sage

FWIW. We have Medicare with Tricare. But we were already on those when VHS decided to limit members to the Advantage plan from UHC. We have been allowed to stay this year, but there is no guarantee we can stay beyond December. They have been telling those with Tricare that they cannot stay when they turn 65 unless they switch to the UHC plan.

When I thought we were facing that decision, I called Tricare and was informed we could enroll in the Advantage plan and Tricare would be discontinued. If we dropped the Advantage plan later, Tricare would start back up. This was all verbal, not in writing. Since we were allowed to stay, I didn't pursue it.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 AM

Thanks for your reply. Let me get this straight, you currently are enrolled in the UHC plan with Tricare or just original Medicare/Tricare (Tricare for Life)? I understand that I can enroll in a UHC plan but am uneasy doing so as I don't know how they will handle claims with Tricare secondary. I am looking to see if there are people in both the UHC plan with Tricare and they are over 65. Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Default Medicare and TFL

Over 65, Tricare for Life and Medicare works fine at Villages Health

I was grandfathered in when they went to UHC Advantage.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Eternal Member

I'm 65 and have medicare and TriCare for Life. I love the Villages Health. Never wait for an appointment & wonderful & thorough care. I was also grandfathered in. I have been there since they opened.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,001 Times in 1,201 Posts

Same here. I'm 65, my wife is not, have medicare and tricare for life. Grandfathered in I believe. Never wait for appointments or medicine to be ordered. My wife only has tricare standard (no medicare) and no problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:24 AM

Thanks! Does that mean you went into the UHC Medicare plan first or just went to Villages health with TFL? You have a primary care physician as well? I think that as a new patient I have to enroll in a UHC plan first. Kind of confusing
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Husband and I have basic medicare and tricare for life. We have had no problems with The Village Health Care system or the Villages Regional Hospital. So far not a penny out of pocket and NO paper work.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

You must be grandfathered in. My spouse has been in The Villages Health Care system with TriCare for life, however when I turned 65 and began Medicare/TriCare, I was unable to join the system.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage

That's the way they decided when they required the UHC advantage plan for Medicare eligible members. If you were already on Medicare with Tricare for Life, you could stay. But if you weren't already on those, you could not join or remain once you turned 65. However, there's nothing that says they have to continue to keep us enrolled, so every year I anticipate a letter ending our time with VHS.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I'm 65 and have medicare and TriCare for Life. I love the Villages Health. Never wait for an appointment & wonderful & thorough care. I was also grandfathered in. I have been there since they opened.
You mean you can walk in without making an appointment?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
You mean you can walk in without making an appointment?
I meant never wait longer than the time of your appointment. If my appt. was 3:00, I'm in by 3:00.
However, I did stop in one time when I was sick to make an appt. and they said they would be able to see me then. So I was able to get meds right away.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 AM

I have Medicare B and TFL now. One month before my 65th birthday last year TVH informed me that I would have to find another primary care practice. So if you were grandfathered into TVH, you might be safe. On the other hand, I have friends who are in TVH with Medicare B and TFL but they have been informed that TVH will make a decision at the end of the year whether they can stay. I suppose it depends on the results of the business case TVH makes.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 AM

I had Tricare and supplement until day I turned 65. I was with Village health and was happy. The month of my 65th birthday they said could not use Tricare for Life and Medicare. Bye Bye Village health. Any retired military person would be INSANE to give up that package. Try Rivers Family practice, I feel that they are better than Village system and I am glad to be done with them in every respect.
Closed Thread

Tags
tricare, health, medicare, correct, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.