The villages hospital experience

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Smile

I have been in tvrh twice. Once with pneumonia and a fib. Second time with a fib only. 5 days both times. Excellent care both times. Did spend more time than I was happy with in ER, but received excellent care while in ER where they hooked up IVs and monitors. Nurse kept checking on me and saying as soon as a room opened up I would be moved. My wife also stayed with me to make sure I was taken care of.
Had pacemaker implanted second time, and fine since.
Nice to have recommendation for other hospitals, but also need to go where insurance allows.
I don't plan on returning to hospital again. But if I did need care I would go to TVRH as soon as possible and not worry about where to go.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM

You should have called 911 and told them to take her to Munroe in Ocala. Munroe is the HEART hospital to be in.

For other conditions, go to Ocala Regional or Leesburg.

And if time is not of the essence go to Shands in Gainesville.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I believe the problem exists with the emergency department.

I also believe that the hospital is fine if you are admitted for a surgery or a procedure.

I read something a while back that the emergency department was to be enlarged and the procedures changed allowing patients to be admitted to a "temporary" room near the emergency area. Anyone else remember this?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I spent 3 days there this week...ugh.... The care was excellent! Great nurses, doctors and conditions.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default And the beat goes on...

I would be willing to bet that everyone in Leesburg would not think of going to Leesburg Regional and go to Orlando... more to this...Everyone in Orlando would not go there because they want to go to Mass General and and and the beat goes on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT514s View Post
Leesburg Regional far surpasses TVRH, especially for cardiac care/surgeries.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

have lived in seven communities in three states. In every case the hospital was a major source of complaints, especially the emergency dept.

Hospitals are probably the most difficult management challenge possible. Only sick people go there. They are coming all hours of the day and night. The hospital is open non stop 7/24/365/366. For many patients their condition will not improve significantly because it is chronic disease. Stress for the staff can be almost unbearable ,at times.

Yes we should always try to improve, but the constant whining on this forum is a bit tiresome. Crying Wolfe eventually diminishes the effectiveness of the message.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMermaid View Post

And if time is not of the essence go to Shands in Gainesville.

I am not familiar with Shands, and I would go to a hospital I am familiar with.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Sage
Default The villages hospital experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
have lived in seven communities in three states. In every case the hospital was a major source of complaints, especially the emergency dept.

Hospitals are probably the most difficult management challenge possible. Only sick people go there. They are coming all hours of the day and night. The hospital is open non stop 7/24/365/366. For many patients their condition will not improve significantly because it is chronic disease. Stress for the staff can be almost unbearable ,at times.

Yes we should always try to improve, but the constant whining on this forum is a bit tiresome. Crying Wolfe eventually diminishes the effectiveness of the message.

Challenger - well said. I spent 40+ years running hospitals - from community hospitals to major teaching hospitals. It is extremely difficult to please people who are sick, worried, and pretty much just thinking about themselves during an episode of illness. The confused frail elderly are an especially challenging group.

However if you have ever been to Las Vegas you understand the extreme level to which customer service is taken. The citizens of LV are absolutely the most difficult patients on earth because of their knowledge and expectations regarding customer service.

I can be as critical about health care as the next person, and then some. However, some of those who complain about TVRH here really don't know what they are talking about. My concern is that they may influence others to go elsewhere when they may be dealing with a true emergency. If someone really wants to go elsewhere they can be transferred after stabilization. On the other hand if you insist on going elsewhere to start with, you might just not arrive there alive.

I know enough about TVRH and Leesburg to believe they can easily take care of the basics, and likely get me through a crisis. While it would be nice to have Mass General around the corner that won't happen. My wife trained at Mass General. Her opinion is the same as mine - and she has not been completely pleased with her 2 visits to the TVRH ER.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:47 PM

Leesburg Hospital and The Villages Regional Hospital are both part of the same company. I have been in The Villages Hospital several times... twice through the ER with Pneumonia and Periocarditis. On other occasions for A-Fib and a Cardioversion. Excellent care each time by the doctors, nurses, and staff. I believe my positive attitude plays a big part in my getting excellent care.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
Leesburg Hospital and The Villages Regional Hospital are both part of the same company. I have been in The Villages Hospital several times... twice through the ER with Pneumonia and Periocarditis. On other occasions for A-Fib and a Cardioversion. Excellent care each time by the doctors, nurses, and staff. I believe my positive attitude plays a big part in my getting excellent care.

There you go Chuck. Your attitude is a major asset when you are a patient. Well said.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Always ask for the hospital supervisor if you feel something isn't right.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:45 PM

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...ng=-81.8879884
Old 11-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Default there are real patient experience data available on The Villages Hospital

Both The Villages Hospital and Leesburg Hospital don't do very well in this area. They both get 2 stars out of 5 for patient experience on the Medicare website. The patient experience surveys are validated and they're used nation wide so it's possible to compare hospitals.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html

I did a search to compare the two hospitals. I'm not sure the comparison link works, but give it a try. If it doesn't work go back and start your own comparison with the link above.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...ng=-81.8879884
Old 11-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Default Tvrh

I also had a bad experience last month at TVRH. I asked for a meeting with the Medical Unit Director who listened to my concerns and expressed regrets that my experience was so negative. The only way legitimate concerns can be addressed is to ask to speak directly with a hospital rep.

I have a very positive attitude but sometimes that isn't enough. When you're sick, you're sick....~

Additionally, I completed the survey and also sent a copy directly to a hospital representative.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Sage
Default The villages hospital experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonlovers View Post
I also had a bad experience last month at TVRH. I asked for a meeting with the Medical Unit Director who listened to my concerns and expressed regrets that my experience was so negative. The only way legitimate concerns can be addressed is to ask to speak directly with a hospital rep.

I have a very positive attitude but sometimes that isn't enough. When you're sick, you're sick....~

Additionally, I completed the survey and also sent a copy directly to a hospital representative.

Correct. When you're sick, you're sick and sometimes attitude doesn't help. But it won't hurt either. You appropriately asked to speak with someone in a position to get things done.

You mentioned a bad experience, and I completely believe what you say. That's never a good thing in a hospital.

Last edited by dbussone; 11-15-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
room, hospital, pain, hours, gave, morphine, great, wait, long, night, nurse, finally, information, endless, locate, stories, embellished, complaint, thought, boy, true, wrong, spending, admitted, worse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.