Zetia

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Sage
Default Zetia

Lots of stories in the news about Vytorin (Zocor/Zetia). Here's my question...which I have been unable to find an answer for on the web.

Doc put me on Zetia-only a year ago for borderline high cholesterol (235) but high LDLs. In six weeks, total went down to 190 and LDL plummeted. This is good. He prescribed Zetia because it works in the stomach vs the bloodstream and is 'gentler' than the statins. He was happy with the results.

Now this study comes along but focuses much more on Zetia as part of the statin combo in Vytorin. Study claims that the numbers change but the actual cardiovascular benefits aren't real.

So, my question to you health experts is.... do these study results also apply to those only on Zetia? Should I be concerned that Zetia is just lowering numbers (i.e. beating the test) but not actually providing any benefit and may be causing harm?

When I saw my doc a month ago he wasn't too concerned with the study...but, now, more info is coming out. I, of course, will also seek his learned opinion, but, value what others in TOTV-land know about this subject.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Zetia

This morning the local news is filled with this story. Here's my opinion:

I've been on Zetia for about 4 years, my cholesterol and the rest of my numbers were not borderline at all, extremely off the charts.

Statins work great on my numbers but my body cannot tolerate them, so they are definitely out. My cardiologist advised me never go on statins again because they are so debilitating to me. So he put me on Zetia, which BTW, I have never had a problem tolerating, which is good.

My numbers have benefited greatly being on this drug, along with total cholesterol which is now borderline (another good thing, as far as I'm concerned), but all my doctors have looked at the total picture of my risk factors: family history, overall health, blood pressure (very low, thankfully) and of course I could lose some weight which will help. I also have had many tests that show very little plaque accumulation (angiogram and stress test) so all in all, they consider my risks pretty low. So to me, I consider Zetia an excellent drug, does what its supposed to do without side effects.

I am no health expert but I do look at and take charge of everything that goes on with my body, and I feel pretty good about this drug. Nothing, of course, is a guarantee, but to me, if side effects are minimal and you get some benefits, I'm all for it.

My opinion only. Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Sage

I am not an expert either, but just happened to go to my new doctor a week ago. I'm on Lipitor and my husband asked her about Zetia or Zocor and she's against it. She explained that they do not have the heart protection that Lipitor does. So she wants me to say on that. :dontknow: Just relaying recent information.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Here's my 2-cents worth of information on the topic of high cholesterol: Mine was 257 in 11/05 and my DR wanted me to take drugs. Believing I could lower the numbers myself by correcting my bad eating choices, I set out to do so. Three months later my chol count was 177, proving to me and my DR that it could be done. Then on 6/06 my next chol count was 174 !!

I haven't had another test since, cuz I have continued on "my version" of the Mediterranean diet: NO dairy, red meat, deli food, cold cuts, hydrogenated fat, processed frood or junk/fast food! The small sacrifice of eliminating those foods from my diet is well worth the drug-free life, to me.

P.S. This book was and still is my inspiration : "The Omega Diet" by Artemis P. Simopoulos, MD & Jo Robinson. It describes why and how !
Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Sage

CIB:

OK - what do you eat? You eliminated my total diet!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
CIB:

OK - what do you eat? You eliminated my total diet!

Chuck,

What she said was that old but true thing, "If it tastes good, spit it out."

Boomer
Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Chuck & Boomer......... I LOVE to eat, in fact I eat every 3 hours ;D For breakfast it's coffee with Chocolate Almond Breeze instead of milk or cream, whole grain bread with flaxseed oil on it (tastes like butter) a tad of blackberry jam, an egg-white omlet made with lots of garlic and scallions, or whole grain oatmeal with walnuts & raisens. Lunch or dinner it's FISH (any kind) and I usually poach it or white meat chicken. Veggies are unlimited!! Whole grain pasta with marinara sauce. Fruits are unlimited. I drink water (NEVER cola). I eat out a lot; Thai food is my favorite.

It's really not a hardship to sacrifice the artery-clogging, processed junk food for wholesome real food when you consider the results "optimal health without drugs" !

OK, you asked me ;D
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Gold member

My husband has been using Zetia for about two years. He's had one angioplasty and three stents. Horrible family history. We could get his cholesterol down but no his LDL until Zetia. For now his cardiologist wants him to stay on this combination of drugs because they have worked for him. Who knows what the next medical report will show. So read everything, talk to your doctor and do what you think is best. Some people tolerate drugs with no problems and other people have horrible reactions. Just my opinion.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Will take CIB's advise any day over Zetia for me. I was on Zetia for one year. Gained an enormous amt of wt around the stomach. Never had stomach before. I then started getting severe stabbing pains in hip joints, every now and then. I went on net and punched in Zetia forums and the stuff that came up amazed me. Some of my problems were the same as other people. I will watch what I eat and go from there. I will see if that will help. Who knows what works for some and not others. I do think we have a responsibility for our own health care. Drs "practice" for a good reason. Ever since my husband was severely ill in 1993 and couldn't find his problem where I witnessed the dr sitting on his bedside with an open drug book consulting with my hubby.....I don't know anymore.....they rely on us telling them a lot more than even we know. Good luck to all.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Cajungirl...... you and I think alike !

When my cholesterol was an all-time high of 257, in 11/05 my Dr wanted me to go on Lipitor but I had a friend whose liver got messed up on that drug, so I said NO, I can lower it myself by changing my eating habits. It took 6 months on my version of the Mediterranean diet for my chol to go down to 174. My inspiration came from a book called The Omega Diet. I've stayed on that eating lifestyle ever since. I know it takes strong willpower, not for everyone, but...... FOR ME I'd rather forgo the twinkie and live drug-free! ;D ;D ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.