Seeking advice about a new bowling ball

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Question Seeking advice about a new bowling ball

I’ve always been a “garden variety” bowler and have bowled once every 1-2 decades whether I need to or not - never had bowling ball or shoes before. I’m now retired and have joined a league, so I bought the shoes and ball from a local, unnamed sporting goods retailer. The sales associate (former PBA tour pro and champion) measured me for a proper fit. I was completely up-front about never having had a ball before and having to rely completely on him for proper fit. I picked up the ball yesterday from a different sales associate at the store. (The associate who measured me was not at the store yesterday.)

The thumb hole is larger/looser than some of the house balls I’ve used recently that fit better. After he observed me with the ball, yesterday’s sales associate re-measured my thumb. Based on his work, I said “It looks like you would have measured me two sizes smaller.” He said “at least.” He also said he would have specified some pitch for the thumb hole; as drilled the thumb hole and finger holes are parallel with no pitch. (This is all new terminology for me.)

He proceeded to put about six strips of bowlers tape in the thumb hole and recommended that I bowl several games before league play and then one week of league play, to “try it out” then come in and they would probably plug the thumb hole (not sure if that was the term he used) and refit. My personal bowling adviser (experienced but not a pro) said “take it back now, don’t use it, tell them you want a new ball or a refund.” So, I now seek advice from the most experienced bowlers in our TOTV community – no doubt that are some former pros out there who can put this in proper perspective for me.

1. Is it somewhat “normal” for a new ball to be imprecisely measured/drilled such that it needs to be plugged/refit/adjusted? Should I just accept their adjustments? Or are they just trying to avoid the expense of “doing right” by a new/inexperienced bowler?

2. Should I return the ball and with good conscience expect either a new ball or refund?

When replying, please indicate your level of bowling expertise/experience. I will value the advice of a highly experienced pro more than that of another garden variety bowler who is also an expert shopper. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions/advice!

** Rebel **

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 01-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Sage

might help
Bowling Ball Thumb Pitch Is Important
Old 01-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, no idea where you went, but I do not believe this is the normal case. I went to RSW, 114 W Guava St, Lady Lake, FL 32159 (352) 674-9361, and purchased a new ball with a completely new grip. Rob did an excellent job. I had a removeable thumb hole installed, the original was a little small, so I purchased the next size larger. Rob did several measurements, and made sure the ball was correct before I left, the reason for the larger thumb hole was my thumb tends to swell a little when bowling.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Thanks, Tinker,

I'm new enough I've never heard of a removable thumb hole (rth). Is it better to have a rth than to expect them to get the measurement correct and use the ball without a rth? In your experience would someone properly fitting a new ball be concerned with pitch and trying to get it right? Or is pitch something that can be adjusted after the fact with a rth? Does a rth make the ball appear patched?

I'd like to be reasonable with a new purchase like this, but I kinda feel like I'm receiving inferior service that can't be corrected properly and they want to gloss over it.

Thanks for the reply!

** Rebel **

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 01-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Thumb pitch is the angle that the thumb hole was drilled. Forward towards the palm helps with hanging onto the ball and is usually used with conventional grips. Reverse pitch away from the palm helps with releasing the ball at the right time and is usually used in finger tip drilling. Left or right pitch, called under and away from the palm is usually determined by the ball fitter when measuring and should be determined by which was your thumb "wants to" go into the hole smoothly. More to follow...
Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM

I am not a pro but a good 200 bowler. I would have gone to the pro shop at the lanes. They would watch your delivery and determine if you need side weight. For hook and drive or your just throwing a straight ball. The removable thumb is a large thumb hole in which different thumb grips are inserted and locked in place. As your thumb swells you can change the size of your thumb hole
Old 01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

The norm is for a fitter/driller to start with smaller thumb holes, then make the adjustment when the bowler picks it up. That holds true for finger holes and grips also. In your case, it appears that a mistake was made, most likely during the drilling process. BUT, it can be easily rectified. The thumb hole can be plugged and redrilled smaller, a thumb sleeve can be inserted and a new, smaller hole can be drilled. And as mentioned before, there are new thumb sleeves in use now that once fitted properly, can be screwed in and out, and used in more than one bowling ball.
Usually when buying a ball, a customer doesn't want his/her brand new ball plugged. I get that. If that's you, just ask for a thumb sleeve, permanent or removeable. This should be at no cost to you. The bottom line is, you ultimately want the proper fit. So do what it takes, work with the shop staff, and get it right.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Sage

OP, I see others answered your questions before I could. Hope you get your ball fixed.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 PM

i would get my money back from this place and do business with RSW.
Rob will work with you to get a perfect fit
Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Sage

Rob is great, and even if you cannot get your money back, I am sure he will work with you to get the ball and fit right.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Sage

I haven't bowled in TV. My ball and bag, in the garage is the one my dad bought me when I was 13. The whole family bowled in leagues back then. Where should I go to have it re drilled, assuming it's still round.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 PM

Take the ball back and work with the original person to make the correction the fit is very important. I had to do the same with Rob at RSW to redo my thumb because the fit was not correct. Yes you ball may need to be plugged and re drilled.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I haven't bowled in TV. My ball and bag, in the garage is the one my dad bought me when I was 13. The whole family bowled in leagues back then. Where should I go to have it re drilled, assuming it's still round.
Tom,
Retire the old ball, I had my fathers old Manhattan Rubber ball, average 113, new ball, new grip, average almost 175. Seriously, the bowling technology has changed greatly over the last few decades. Your old ball will not work well on the new lanes and well oiled finishes.
IMHO, Go to Spanish Springs, ask for Jack Shmitt, a really great trainer, have him observe you throwing your old ball, get his opinion on what you need. The go to RSW Pro shop Guava Street (near 441 and 466), talk to Rob, and he will do a great job getting you a new ball.
Hope this helps, and hope to see you at bowling.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Tom,
Retire the old ball, I had my fathers old Manhattan Rubber ball, average 113, new ball, new grip, average almost 175. Seriously, the bowling technology has changed greatly over the last few decades. Your old ball will not work well on the new lanes and well oiled finishes.
IMHO, Go to Spanish Springs, ask for Jack Shmitt, a really great trainer, have him observe you throwing your old ball, get his opinion on what you need. The go to RSW Pro shop Guava Street (near 441 and 466), talk to Rob, and he will do a great job getting you a new ball.
Hope this helps, and hope to see you at bowling.
What's the difference?
I'm a golfer and I could tell you the difference between the clubs in the 60's and the clubs now.
Tell me how the balls are different.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What's the difference?
I'm a golfer and I could tell you the difference between the clubs in the 60's and the clubs now.
Tell me how the balls are different.
The compounds the balls are made of are completely different. The design of the inner core is completely different. The balls are actually designed to have different tracks depending on the lane surface. I have seen bowlers come to the lanes with 4 or 5 balls, and change balls during play as the lanes change. Yes the lanes change as the oil pattern changes with the number of balls thrown. I use 2 balls, a ball with a compound and finish that tends to give me a mild hook when thrown, and a plastic finish balls that tends to go almost straight using the same grip and throw as my hook.
So, as you have seen lots of changes in the gold clubs over the years, the same has happened in the world of bowling.

Tags
ball, thumb, hole, associate, bowling, sales, measured, pro, experienced, fit, proper, advice, bowler, league, put, i’ve, yesterday, store, pitch, bowlers, shoes, play, completely, refit, “take

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.