Tom Brady, NFLPA file lawsuit over DeflateGate Suspension

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage
Default Tom Brady, NFLPA file lawsuit over DeflateGate Suspension

Like Yogi Berra always says, "It ain't over, till it's over".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2308858

IMHO - This will dragged through the courts and it all probability, the NFLPA will win again, as they did with Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice.

Roger Goodell as commissioner, will become a mere figurehead, in all future rulings, as his power will be corroded.

I miss the days when sports was about the game and it's players, the scores, and not about courts and rulings, that change the essence of the game. I'm not saying all was well when the owners had all of the power and treated players, like a cheap commodity.

OH WELL!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2015, 01:13 PM

I agree that the union will win. And rightfully so. Greg Hardy got 4 games for almost killing his wife! Brady's penalty doesn't fit the crime. Go Pats!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Platinum member

Sure wish The owner had been supportive from the start. Innocent until proven guilty or so I thought.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The whole thing of Goodell being involved on the appeal process is a big sham. He should never have been part of it. Chances are he won't be commissioner much longer.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

It will be interesting if while taking this to a higher court the text messages are suddenly retrieved from some server somewhere. I would bet just because these are deleted from the phone, like email, they live on forever on a server somewhere.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Goodell lets the felons resume play with minor penalties and picks on Brady. Boo. Goodell needs to go. Where the heck is his head.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Let football run football, baseball run baseball, hockey run hockey, basketball
run basketball. Ridiculous to get the higher courts involved in games!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Default Deflation prevarication

It's my understanding that there have to date been no valid scientific studies about the effect of football inflation pressure changes from the norm upon performance, e.g. % change in pass distance, successful receives, amount of pressure change on a warm day vs. in very cold conditions, etc. Very difficult to design a good study, given the large variations in velocity, hand size, gloves worn (or not) and type, etc. Even if the Patriots' balls were slightly depressurized, lacking such scientific evidence, Goodell's "findings"are non-factual, and represent opinion and bias. I don't understand why Kraft paid the $1 million fine, since this weakens their case, but this whole affair stands as a sordid abuse of process, should be thrown out by the judge, and Goodell should be censured. Power corrupts...
Old 08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Going back as far as Watergate, how many times have we found that the cover-up is the bigger crime than the actual crime. The NFL is under the assumption where there's smoke, there's fire. If Brady had never destroyed his telephone this whole case would of ended long ago. Discussing the merits of whether an under-inflated football is easier to handle and throw is not the question. It's who directed the lockerroom boys to deflate the footballs. Once again, the cover-up (destroy the phone) is worse than the crime. Throw in the Patriots past history and the whole thing snow-balled and neither side is willing to backdown.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-31-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Going back as far as Watergate, how many times have we found that the cover-up is the bigger crime than the actual crime. The NFL is under the assumption where there's smoke, there's fire. If Brady had never destroyed his telephone this whole case would of ended long ago. Discussing the merits of whether an under-inflated football is easier to handle and throw is not the question. It's who directed the lockerroom boys to deflate the footballs. Once again, the cover-up (destroy the phone) is worse than the crime. Throw in the Patriots past history and the whole thing snow-balled and neither side is willing to backdown.

The Villages Florida
Well said John_W. I would add regardless whether it's easier to throw or catch an under inflated ball it IS a rule. I'm wondering if all the posters that are Patriot fans would hold the same opinion if it were another team that were cheating.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM

the referee puts the ball on the line of scrimage after every play and they change balls with every possession change, with each team providing their own football, so it's not like the opponent had to play with an under inflated ball...why wouldn't the officials recognize that and penalize the team on the spot?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Sage

Destroying a cellphone is not evidence of anything. The Patriot's past history is also not evidence of any wrong doing. There is no evidence of any cover-up. Chances are the NFL is going to get slapped down on this. BTW, I am not a Patriot's fan. I just think Goodell overstepped on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

The Villages Florida
Old 08-31-2015, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I am not a Patriots fan, or even an NFL fan for that matter. Brady said he didn't order the balls deflated. I'm not saying they were or weren't intentionaly deflated. I do recall the investigator saying that it appears highly likely that Brady may have had knowledge, seriously ??? If that is the standard the NFL is using in this case, then I think it falls way short of any proof,and very short of even circumstantial evidence.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:19 PM

From what I understand tampering with game equipment carries a 25 thousand dollar fine, period!! As far as what was on Brady's phone, I'm sure that no player would want the league to see their personal messages with the way things leak out.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-SRT View Post
From what I understand tampering with game equipment carries a 25 thousand dollar fine, period!! As far as what was on Brady's phone, I'm sure that no player would want the league to see their personal messages with the way things leak out.
Wasn't the phone records retrieved and found no texting or messages with reference to footballs on Tom Brady's phone but texts concerning his pool cover and other personal conversations leaked out. I feel Roger should step down before he further embarrasses the league.
Closed Thread

Tags
nflpa, courts, players, rulings, power, game, corroded, miss, treated, future, days, sports, essence, figurehead, scores, cheap, commodity, change, owners, rice, till, imho, berra, file, brady

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.