Moving to the Villages - Part 1

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Eternal Member
Default Moving to the Villages - Part 1

Things To Think About When Moving To The Villages
Updated 4/12/2015
By zcaveman
TalkOfTheVillages.com

After I moved here, I compiled a list of things to keep in mind when moving to the Villages. Most of these are strictly my thoughts and experiences. Check with the sales reps, neighbors, insurance reps, financial advisers, etc before making any decisions based on these items.

After I first posted this list, I received input from many TOTV members. I have added their input to my original list. My thanks to them for their input. After reading some of the posts in other areas, I sensed some confusion so I have added info about amenity fees, bonds and property taxes.

These are just to help you when you move. They have been helpful to friends that have moved to the Villages. I do not personally endorse any companies that I mention in this document. How is that for taking the fifth!

MOVING INFORMATION
Banks
When we were down here to sign the contract for our new home, we also started a checking and savings account. This is important as some places will not take starter checks. We also started with a high number, 300, so that it looked like we had been here awhile. When we got here we had already changed direct deposits. We transferred all of our savings to our checking account in our home state and then wrote a check down here to move the money to our Florida bank. This was a lot cheaper than a wire transfer. We closed the account in our home state after we were sure there were no more outstanding checks. We used the telephone system to check on the account there.* Don't forget to change all of the EFT accounts that you already have set up with your financial institutions. Don't forget to empty and cancel your safety deposit boxes.

Change of Address
Don't forget to go to the post office and get the change of address kit. You will also have to figure out how to change all of your magazine subscriptions, etc when you move. Do not forget credit cards.

Checklist
One thing I found very helpful when I moved to The Villages was to make myself a very detailed checklist/spreadsheet of all the things I had to do at the old residence and all the things I had to do at the new residence based on any action items listed in this document. Review the list occasionally and if you think of a new item or a detail to add, add it so you do not forget to do it. When I scheduled an item, I put the date scheduled and the expected date of completion. After I completed an item, I put the date completed next to it. Believe me that this will make things go so much smoother. It is a lot of fun to look back over this list after a couple of years to remember what a lot of work went into the planning and completion of some of these items.

Clubs/Organizations
Many clubs/organizations (VFW, American Legion, KOC, etc) have their own change-of-address procedure to keep current. Many of these can be done on-line. If you decide to transfer your membership, make sure that any paid up for life memberships can be transferred.

Current Services
Make arrangements with your cable, telephone, heating oil, etc companies to cut off these services the day you leave the home state. Don't worry about the electric, as the new owner will get it switched to their name when they close.* In Florida, the day of the closing belongs to the buyer, so start up services will want to be transferred the day before closing to insure you do not have as service interruption.

Doctor Appointments
Be sure to make doctor appointments with area doctors ASAP so things will go smoother should health issues arise during your first months in the Villages. There are lots of doctors right here on Village property but some only see patients one day a week as their main office is in Leesburg or Ocala.

Email
As long as you stay with your current ISP you should have no problem with EMAIL and those places where they use your Email address for a sign-on. I had to switch ISPs and it was really a pain. If you do have to change your ISP, don't cancel your old ISP before you switch any Internet accounts that use your email as the USERID as they won't swap you if you try to change it with your new ID.

Immigration
For those with green cards, a change of address must be filed within ten days to USCIS or you are deportable.

Medical and Dental Records
Before you leave for The Villages, ask your medical/dental providers for your files.* If they won't give you the original files, ask them to give you a photocopy of all documents.* Same goes for x-rays, if you have need for continuing care with these medical issues. * These files could save you the time/costs of having some tests repeated when you find your new medical team(s).

Papers
Be sure to bring your birth certificates and other ID with you. You will need them to get Florida driver's licenses. You should also bring your car titles. If you are still buying your car, bring the name and address of the car loan place and the account number. You will have to have proof of Florida car insurance before you can change titles and get tags. I stayed with my original company but they had to write me a new policy and cancel the New Jersey one.

Pet Records
Don't forget to stop by the vet and get the records for your pets - especially if they are on some kind of medication.

Voter Registration
Once you make TheVillages your permanent residence, don't forget to register to vote in the state of Florida.

FINANCIAL INFORMATION

Banks
I have my banking accounts with The Citizens First Bank. They have online access and their debit card is free at all of the ATMs in the Villages. They also have safety deposit boxes. The ATM machines are conveniently located at all of the mail stops in the Villages. The Villages also has branches for other major banks (Wachovia, Sun Trust, Bank of America, Colonial, and Community Bank and Trust) to name a few.

Florida Financial Information Dinners
After you move in, you will start getting requests to come to a meeting (includes lunch or dinner) to hear spiels about taxes, wills, trusts, Florida Intangible taxes, etc. It is well worth it to attend at least one - maybe two. It is free and there is no obligation. But be careful – I read an article in a newspaper recently that some of these are high pressure sales pitches. Do not sign anything or give any money to these organizations until you check out everything!!

Living Costs

There are a number of posts out in TOTV requesting the monthly costs for living in TV. The numbers vary between full time residents and part time residents. I am a full time resident with a 3 bedroom ranch on a base lot with 1392 Sq ft of climate controlled area (added 2/13/2013). Some of the numbers are close to mine. Some are from some of the other posts. This is an attempt to try and put them in one place. Remember, as with many of the other items in this post, this is just an estimate. Actual numbers will depend on your life style and size of residence. The numbers are monthly except where noted.

Water/Sewer (depends on size of yard) $40-80
Garbage $17.90 - (changed 2/13/2013)
Electric $80-225* - annual average $142 (updated 2/13/2013)
Gas $23-80* - annual average $34 (updated 2/13/2013)
Telephone $39.95 (Comcast) (updated 4/12/2015)
Cable (Premium/Digital – No HBO, etc.) $119.30 (Comcast) (updated 4/12/2015)
Internet (broadband) $63.95 (Comcast) (updated 4/12/2015)
Other charges, taxes and fees $22.22 (Comcast) (added 4/12/2015)
Telephone (TracFone – Cell phone) $104/year ** (updated 4/12/2015)
Amenity Fee $145.00 (updated 4/12/2015)
Property Taxes $200-400 ***
Homeowners Insurance $600 and up per year
Automobile Insurance $500 and up per year
Golf Cart Insurance $125 and up per year (added 4/12/2015)
Golf Cart Trail Fees $142 per year
Golf Tee Time Online System $8.00 (added 4/12/2015)
Lawn Care (mow and edge) $45-80 (depends on size of yard)
Shrub and tree trimming $90-$150 – three times a year (my lawn services does this for me) (updated 4/12/2015)
Pest Control ***** $200-300 per year (added 4/12/2015)
Lawn fertilization and treatment ***** $500-600 per year (added 4/12/2015)
Termite treatment $150-$175 per year (added 4/12/2015)
Daily Sun $61.42 per year (updated 4/12/2015)
Dining out (for 2 – no liquor):
Breakfast $15-30 (added 4/12/2015)
Lunch $25-35
Dinner $25-$$$

* This is an average. Electric will be higher in the summer and lower in the winter. Gas will be higher in the winter and lower in the summer.
** Cell phone costs should be about the same as you are paying now. It depends on the plan.
*** Florida resident with Homestead Exemption. No bond. This depends on the appraised value of your home. You can get the millage rate from the county appraiser. In 2013, this included the non-Ad Valorem (CDD4 ($454) / fire ($165) / water/waste ($98) charges.* If you have a bond, it will be included in your taxes. It is a 30 year bond at 6 or 7%.* You will have to calculate that number yourself.
**** Some insurance companies have monthly payment options.
***** Some homeowners prefer to do these treatments themselves.
****** You can do the termite treatment yourself but if you get termites, the expense to correct the problem might be costly.

Money
Be prepared to have your checkbook ready. You will be hit with the lawn mowing services, insect and pest control services, water softener, landscaping, awnings, lanai vinyl windows, not to mentioned food, kitchen stuff, cleaning and lawn stuff, ladders, etc.

Wills
You might want to check with a lawyer once you settle in to verify that your wills are valid in the state of Florida. I think that the check is free.

(Continued in Part 2)

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 04-12-2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Updated with 2015 costs
Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Default Moving to the villages

Your blog is just full of the information we needed and i cant thank you enough for posting all that great info.

We pay for lawn care in our homeowners fee twice a year and it comes to about $20 per cut so i can see that its going to be more in tv. But with no state income tax that will be offset quite a bit in that savings. I wasnt aware that the golf cart trails were an extra charge. Seems like the advertising should be more specific in details like that. Thanks again for the information.
Sunnymaryann
Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Thank you

Z
Just want to say thanks.
The good Lord willing we'll be moving to TV sometime in March of next year and your info is invaluable.

Happy New Year!

Gail & Dave
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
Your blog is just full of the information we needed and i cant thank you enough for posting all that great info.

We pay for lawn care in our homeowners fee twice a year and it comes to about $20 per cut so i can see that its going to be more in tv. But with no state income tax that will be offset quite a bit in that savings. I wasnt aware that the golf cart trails were an extra charge. Seems like the advertising should be more specific in details like that. Thanks again for the information.
Sunnymaryann
The golf cart Executive trail fee is only for the golfers. If you want to play golf and drive your cart you need to pay the fee. If you just want to ride around the Villages on the golf cart paths (called multi-use paths since golf cats, bicycles and walkers can use them), there is no charge.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Location: Phila., PA, Louisville, Ky., Cleveland, OH, Blackwood, NJ., Charleston, SC, VILLAGE OF AMEILIA
Default Things to think about

You are to be commended for the time you spent compiling this info.

Only in tv could this happen.

Thank you thank you thank you

this is why we want to live around people like you.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Default Other costs in The Villages

If you are planning to buy a new or pre-owned home south of Lake Sumter Landing Town Square, plan to spend about $3800 in drainage repair fees from your own pocket. The yards were designed and graded improperly, but The Villages will not correct at their expense. So much for "The Friendliest Town in America."

Carmen

Last edited by carmen; 09-04-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen View Post
If you are planning to buy a new or pre-owned home south of Lake Sumter Landing Town Square, plan to spend about $3800 in drainage repair fees from your own pocket. The yards were designed and graded improperly, but The Villages will not correct at their expense. So much for "The Friendliest Town in America."

Carmen
Carmen, thanks for the info, could you be more specific on location will be looking for a home next month
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Question lilving in the Villages

All I really want to know right now is
Is it cheaper than living in Long Island NY
Here my taxes are about 7,000 yearly
Can I survive on 2200 a month if I buy a home outright like a patio villa for 140,000?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klilyrose711 View Post
All I really want to know right now is
Is it cheaper than living in Long Island NY
Here my taxes are about 7,000 yearly
Can I survive on 2200 a month if I buy a home outright like a patio villa for 140,000?

Klilyrose---

I am from the Island also and am about to move to TV ---and there are dozens of former Islanders living part time and full time there.

My answer in short is yes it cheaper .....considering all things being equal --
You taxes will be cheaper IN A HOME AS YOU MENTIONED ABOVE .

IF YOU ARE SURVIVING ON THE ISLAND WITH 2200 A MONTH INCOME. (I give you a lot of credit) there is no doubt in my mind you can do it here...But you need to look at all your expenses carefully and decide for yourself ---

In my case --Taxes are cheaper --not as low as I thought they would be in Florida but still lower then where I am in New Hyde Park--
Car insurance, Electric , home insurance water, sewer all less then NY.

I am about to retiire --there is no State tax on the pension !!!

If you have not already --visit for a week or so --and pay attention to this site --you can get most of the info you need to make a decision ...

Good Luck
Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen View Post

Carmen
Carmen - I think I have seen you post about this problem before. I bought a CYV in the area you warn about and I have large drains in the corners of my corner lot. Never a problem with me or my neighbors. Is this problem specific to you. Since I am in the area I would like to know if you are blowing off steam due to a problem specific to only your lot or if it is a real concern because others have had to spend their own money to fix the same problem. As someone who was once in the assigned risk pool for homeowners' insurance due to many water damage claims, I would like to know the extent of this problem. In one of my previous homes I fought the builder for a year until he just told me to fix it myself as it was cheaper than suing him.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM

i just got my first electric bill.i live in a cyv and it is $237... maybe im liking cool temps too much!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
i just got my first electric bill.i live in a cyv and it is $237... maybe im liking cool temps too much!
Sometimes there are opening charges for new accounts. That sounds high.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

I just came across this old post found in "NUTS AND BOLTS" section. (Three chapters) by Caveman. It could be titles "Everything you wanted to know about The Villages but were afraid to ask". It is a great source of information. I printed it out (I suggest everyone do the same) and tuck it away for future reference. Great job, Caveman. Thanks,
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM

Zcaveman,

This is such a wealth of information for us and answers so many questions we have. We are coming in January to finally buy home in TV's. Thank you for taking the time to compile this information.
Any information about life in TV's that you or anyone else can supply will be greatly appreciated.
I have a question about what lawn and yard equipment/tools do we need to bring if we decide to do our own lawn work. Coming from Ohio, hopefully we can leave the snowblower behind.

Thanks so much
Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Sage

ceegeo - Re: lawn and garden tools, etc. You'll find that most people will hire the work out. There's lots of competition so prices stay pretty reasonable and consistent.

I think some full-timers start off doing their own yard work then find themselves too busy doing other things any enjoying themselves that they end up hiring the work out. There is a segment of people, though, who truly enjoy working in their yards - they'll always want to do their own work!

Bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.