Singles pickleball

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default Singles pickleball

Been practicing and wondering is there singles pickleball in the villages? I like doubles, but would like to try singles. Been tennis player for 40 years I think I can pick up pickleball quickly. Though my tennis stroke might suffer. Any Tennis players Find it hard to adjust from Pickleball to tennis due to the speed of the ball? maybe alternate days (pickleball one day and tennis the next?) I Know you just don't go off the pickleball court and on the tennis court without few minutes of adjustment in speed and stroke, aleast that's what I have experienced the few times I tried it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Check the rec magazine. I'm pretty sure there is a singles pb league here. If it's full, you could sign up as a sub. You might have to read the PB part of each rec center to figure out where the singles league is, and you could call that rec center to talk to someone about it.

I have two friends who play both pb and tennis, and they don't have a problem switching back and forth. don't know if they do both in the same day. They are 3.5-4.0 tennis players, so perhaps they just have good touch/ball control.

I have a friend up north who's about a 3.0- tennis player, and she claims pb messed up her tennis game.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Sage

thanks CFrance.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Sage

I do 2-3 Pickleball and 2 tennis a week and go back and forth with little difficulty. Seems easier to go from Pickleball to tennis than the other way around. PBall seems to have helped my net game at tennis.

Both are great fun.

As to PBall singles....too much running for me. If we only have two people,I play half court singles.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Sage

I agree both PB and tennis are great fun. at 60 I can still get around the single court for two sets at least with 4.5 players. You are right turns into too much running. I usually talk my single players into to no add sudden death (Not good choice words for us older players) single play. I like singles but don't see the need for all the add ins and outs at my age. Anyway, I plan on playing both and really enjoy doubles.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Default Singles PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
Been practicing and wondering is there singles pickleball in the villages? I like doubles, but would like to try singles. Been tennis player for 40 years I think I can pick up pickleball quickly. Though my tennis stroke might suffer. Any Tennis players Find it hard to adjust from Pickleball to tennis due to the speed of the ball? maybe alternate days (pickleball one day and tennis the next?) I Know you just don't go off the pickleball court and on the tennis court without few minutes of adjustment in speed and stroke, aleast that's what I have experienced the few times I tried it.
There is singles PB at Allamanda every Wed. From 12-2pm open to all.
Give it a try.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
I think you have a great idea. I'mm a very new player and would be willing to practice with you. The Baby Boomers do pickleball on Saturdays at Seabreeze.
Mary
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I do 2-3 Pickleball and 2 tennis a week and go back and forth with little difficulty. Seems easier to go from Pickleball to tennis than the other way around. PBall seems to have helped my net game at tennis.

Both are great fun.

As to PBall singles....too much running for me. If we only have two people,I play half court singles.
So where in Maryland? Maryland 25 years, the Villages (here 4 months), 35 years!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.