Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Concrete Block/Stucco (CBS) vs. Frame/Vinyl Siding (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/concrete-block-stucco-cbs-vs-frame-vinyl-siding-10538/)

JohnM 11-21-2007 09:25 PM

Concrete Block/Stucco (CBS) vs. Frame/Vinyl Siding

In reviewing the archives on this subject I note the following pros and cons:

Concrete Block/Stucco:
- more expensive
+ probably better in a hurricane (although built to same standards as frame)
- more maintenance - paint every 5-7 years
- only available on more expensive Designer/Premier homes
+ "Florida look"
+ lower insurance
+ less prone to termites but with spraying probably not a factor for either style

Frame/Vinyl Siding
+ probably better insulating value
- may have more damage after a hurricane (although built to same standards as CBS)
+ less expensive
+ less maintenance - power wash - 2-3 times per year
- greater chance of construction problems - vinyl siding, etc.

After considering the above, it comes down to personal prference.

Have I missed anything?

John

gfmucci 11-21-2007 09:50 PM

Re: Concrete Block/Stucco (CBS) vs. Frame/Vinyl Siding

Good job, John! The roof, window and garage door designs are also very important wind storm defenses. Insurance companies often ask not only the roofing materials (shingle, tile, or metal) but whether the roof is gable end or hip roof, with hip roof preferred for wind resistance because less surface is exposed to lateral wind pressure.

Avista 11-21-2007 10:17 PM

Savannah Courtyard Villas are poured concrete--another alternative.

Bubbalarry 11-21-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avista
Savannah Courtyard Villas are poured concrete--another alternative.

So are Hillcrest Villas at Hadley Village

JohnN 11-21-2007 11:37 PM

you've got it pretty well covered.... I think I prefer the concrete block, but the vinyl would suffice :(

Barefoot 11-22-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM
In reviewing the archives on this subject I note the following pros and cons:
Concrete Block/Stucco:
- only available on more expensive Designer/Premier homes

The only thing you've missed .. I believe there are Courtyard Villas in almost every Village which are poured concrete. We choose one because of lower insurance costs and less chance of termites. And in my opinion, they have more curb appeal than frame CVs. Just a matter of personal choice.

The Great Fumar 11-22-2007 04:06 AM

Hey guys...Its just a matter of personal choise, I have had both and liked them both....I will say that I think the stucco homes are quieter and thats a big plus for me..I have a stucco home now and frankly , I just think it looks more like florida and the tropics.....Kinda goes with the palm trees............

donbettyr 11-22-2007 03:17 PM

With Frame you have to really watch for mold!! My brother in law ha s lived in Ocala for 20 years, and says this a concern anywhere in this part of Florida

SteveZ 11-23-2007 01:27 PM

Mold can be a concern no matter what the structure. I lived in CentFL for over 20 years (Seminole County) unt1l 2004, and the house was concrete block & brick. There was the occasional fight with the climate to insure there was no mold.

Bought a vinyl sided courtyard villa, mainly be cause the site was exactly where we wanted to be. Had it been "the other kind," it wouldn't have mattered - location, location, location!

The post-Hurricane Andrew building codes imposed in Florida mainly by the insurance company lobby has really made a difference in the structural integrity of all "new" houses.

BTW - if it's a Cat 4 Hurricane coming, the difference in concrete or vinyl only matters to the insurance adjusters. You don't ride those out in either unit.