Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Chatters Talk: Happy or Sad (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/chatters-talk-happy-sad-117/)
-   -   White Vinyl Fence - Mold - (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/chatters-talk-happy-sad-117/white-vinyl-fence-mold-129241/)

livan 10-06-2014 03:41 PM

White Vinyl Fence - Mold -

We just returned after being gone all summer ... while talking to a friend on the lanai - I noticed part of our vinyl fence is green - assuming it's some kind of mold or algae ... has anyone else had this problem ? ... can you use a power washer on it since it's vinyl ? ... what products can we use to clean it - not only clean off the green mold - but a general cleaning too ... we live in Mission Hills - but I assume that other villages have this same fencing ... JAI

raynan 10-06-2014 03:47 PM

Mold is everywhere after the rainy summer we had. Yes you can pressure wash. Mix in a cleaner that will not harm your plants. Ace, Home Depot and Lowes have such.

DougB 10-06-2014 04:34 PM

Speaking of white vinyl fencing, anyone know where to get sections of the fencing in front of the patio villas?

NotGolfer 10-06-2014 04:54 PM

When we first lived here, we didn't know about "needing" to power-wash the outside of homes. It comes from the heat and humidity. Needs to be done once or twice a year. There are folks who can be hired to do this! Oh...and you'll get mold inside of your lanai's as well.

Barefoot 10-06-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livan (Post 949168)
We just returned after being gone all summer ... while talking to a friend on the lanai - I noticed part of our vinyl fence is green - assuming it's some kind of mold or algae ... has anyone else had this problem ? ... can you use a power washer on it since it's vinyl ? ... what products can we use to clean it - not only clean off the green mold - but a general cleaning too ... we live in Mission Hills - but I assume that other villages have this same fencing ... JAI

If you don't wish to do it yourself, there are many power washing companies.
We use Egners and recommend them. 352-728-8357.

REDCART 10-06-2014 06:07 PM

Simple Green diluted in a bucket of water and a rag is all that you'll need. It comes right off. You can hose off any residue or wipe it off with a second rag and bucket of clean water. You can power wash a vinyl fence without damaging the fence but if it's just a small area, I opt for the rag. It's quicker and cheaper.

Aandjmassage 10-06-2014 06:55 PM

I use a cup of bleach 5 gallon bucket and car wash brush comes right off.

philnpat 10-06-2014 07:48 PM

Home Depot sells a product called Mold Amour sold behind the paint counter. It's a lime green quart bottle that connects to your hose. Spray it on...wait 15 minutes and spray off. This stuff really works. I did my entire house in less than an hour for less than $9.

wendyquat 10-06-2014 09:45 PM

Tilex and a water hose will do the job!