Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Taxi, Uber and other services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/taxi-uber-other-services-218281/)

TheDude 11-13-2016 09:45 PM

Taxi, Uber and other services

Without a car, what is the best way to get long distances if needed? What does everyone do.

I'm a disabled veteran (I may say that a lot so people can understand) and driving isn't something I may be doing. Golf cart will be no problem.

I just may to get outside the villages, or to places that are far from where I plan on living.

Any ideas?

KathieI 11-13-2016 10:29 PM

My ex-husband lives here and he is disabled also. If I can't drive him someplace (which is usually what we do), he uses the local taxi cab companies who are very reliable and they take him to his doctor appointments, or other appointments if I am busy. I think you will find that many of your neighbors will soon offer their services too. The people here are very kind and friendly and very helpful.

Again, good luck.

Chi-Town 11-13-2016 11:04 PM

Uber isn't really a viable option here as of yet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheDude 11-14-2016 08:24 AM

Everyone.

Thanks for the replies. Uber would be great but who would do the driving. I am guessing the taxi services are good here and are listed in the forums.

johnboy 11-14-2016 07:35 PM

The Uber driver would drive them. Problem is we don't always have the app on to accept requests.

KathieI 11-14-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS33 (Post 1320153)
Everyone.

Thanks for the replies. Uber would be great but who would do the driving. I am guessing the taxi services are good here and are listed in the forums.

We don't have Uber as yet. My ex uses Villages Taxi which is very reliable.

graciegirl 11-14-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS33 (Post 1320153)
Everyone.

Please evaluate this carefully before you commit. This place is really focused on active adults and I don't mean to be mean. There aren't buses, there are taxi's but the place was really built to be a golf cart community. Many people will be leaving as they become less able to be mobile. I don't want you to be disappointed. It would be wise to rent for awhile.

Pat Reilly 11-14-2016 09:57 PM

Transportation within the villages

I have a friend who is also looking for transporation within the villages anyone looking to help him out kindly pm me and I will gve you his phone #.. Thanks

TheDude 11-17-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1320613)
Please evaluate this carefully before you commit. This place is really focused on active adults and I don't mean to be mean. There aren't buses, there are taxi's but the place was really built to be a golf cart community. Many people will be leaving as they become less able to be mobile. I don't want you to be disappointed. It would be wise to rent for awhile.

Graciegirl, you are not mean to me. I don't mind a little tiger rawr. I have my arms and legs; and golf and water volleyball are looking pretty nice; plus I went to a polo match and fell in love.

I'm not looking for a bus, actually I hate buses, I lived in NYC for 30 years. I'm looking for someone in a Lexus to drive me to the vet center north of the villages when I need it (that is what I get from an Uber where I live now).

I will be having a golf cart (2017 Yamaha Drive 2 with everything I can add, and in a paint job that I hope to get the heads turning). I will probably drive the cart more than anyone in the villages.

Just if I am living on the bottom of the villages in a newer area then a 9 mile golf cart ride north is a distance. Or if I want to go to the Best Buy which is outside The Villages, I need a way. Or if I want to hang out with the other vets at Lake Sumter at that outside bar partaking in a little drink I'd like to have options.

I'd like to have a way to get long places, or get home safety.

So, don't worry, can't offend me, :BigApplause: I've been through a lot, and I am looking for the love of The Villages. A place of peace.

Oh, and no, renting isn't an option.

johnboy 11-21-2016 08:58 PM

Just FYI, there is Uber here in the Villages, we just don't always have the app on. I know of several drivers who have the same circumstance.

alexthegreat 01-11-2017 12:27 PM

I use The Villages Transportation taxi. Reasonably priced, great drivers and after a few services the girls on the phone start to remember you which makes scheduling easier. Very kind and friendly there, it goes a long way!