Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Irrigation (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/irrigation-224711/)

tngma 01-04-2017 11:21 PM

Irrigation

Have not used this before, hopefully I post this right...

Saw advertisement for irrigation tune-up in newspaper? Anyone used CK Farm business? Opinions?

redwitch 01-04-2017 11:39 PM

Do a search here and you'll see the vast majority of us use and recommend Jim Baumgartner. Sorry, I don't have his number handy but I'm sure someone will supply it if you can't find it.

GaryW 01-05-2017 05:51 AM

Call Joe. 352-430-5615. He works with Jim B.
I got him coming over to my place also.

N44125 01-05-2017 06:04 AM

Jim B. is the only way to go. He's reliable, shows up on time and is knowledgeable. He did an evaluation / inspection for us for $25. Then gave us an estimate on repairs. After fixing broken sprinkler heads, etc. he programmed our control box at no additional cost. I have never heard anyone give him a bad evaluation.

villagetinker 01-05-2017 09:44 AM

Jim Baumgartner, 352-504-2317, does very good work.

GaryW 01-05-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1342728)
Jim B. is the only way to go. He's reliable, shows up on time and is knowledgeable. He did an evaluation / inspection for us for $25. Then gave us an estimate on repairs. After fixing broken sprinkler heads, etc. he programmed our control box at no additional cost. I have never heard anyone give him a bad evaluation.

I would imagine the estimate should be free to start??? Just Thinking out loud to myself.

photo1902 01-05-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryW (Post 1343005)
I would imagine the estimate should be free to start??? Just Thinking out loud to myself.

An evaluation/inspection is not free, nor should it be. The tech runs the system through each zone, checking each and every spray head on that zone. We have 7 zones and 40+ heads/rotors in total. I used Joe Tucker (as Jim was booked solid). Joe is excellent, making several adjustments to a few sprinkler heads, including replacing one of the heads so it provided a more suitable pattern coverage, as well as making several timing adjustments in the box. Total cost $50.00. The other bonus is that Joe will explain to you how to make necessary adjustments, so in the future (if you chose) you can service your irrigation system on your own.

GaryW 02-23-2017 05:48 AM

Scott who does work with Mansfield Landacaping is really good on irrigation also. Had him redo all of my irrigation hook ups after pool put in. Had to redo the back yard zone. Great job and quick and price was the best by far..

Arlington2 03-01-2017 09:48 AM

Joe Tucker is good. Just had him repair an irrigation line that I broke. Prompt, more than competent and knowledgeable. He does general irrigation work as well as repairs. Very personable young man. Says Jim is his uncle which is probably why is he was trained by Jim. Joe is my goto guy for future irrigation needs.

Dynsol 03-01-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 1342728)

Jim is the Best.............AMEN.........:agree:

stratcat 04-26-2017 02:33 PM

Like Jim's work....not so happy with the referral to Joe T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryW (Post 1342726)
Call Joe. 352-430-5615. He works with Jim B.
I got him coming over to my place also.

Just my opinion, Joe was not as thorough as I would have hoped given my dealings with Jim.

Joe's adjustment of the spray patterns were off (I followed up after him to readjust). He didn't verify that the rain sensor was functioning (I checked myself and it needed replacement). He did not verify that irrigation system was not leak-tight (probably the most critical check) via the water meter (which I also checked myself and found a cracked elbow on the inlet line).

Given the simplicity of these systems, I guess I expected him to do a full "front to back" tune up of the whole system, not just sprinkler replacements (which he was VERY effective in finding at $25/$35 replacement cost each).

My recommendation would be to ask him exactly what his tune up includes and shadow him to make sure things were done as they should be.

RickeyD 04-26-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratcat (Post 1391572)
Just my opinion, Joe was not as thorough as I would have hoped given my dealings with Jim.

Joe's adjustment of the spray patterns were off (I followed up after him to readjust). He didn't verify that the rain sensor was functioning (I checked myself and it needed replacement). He did not verify that irrigation system was not leak-tight (probably the most critical check) via the water meter (which I also checked myself and found a cracked elbow on the inlet line).

Given the simplicity of these systems, I guess I expected him to do a full "front to back" tune up of the whole system, not just sprinkler replacements (which he was VERY effective in finding at $25/$35 replacement cost each).

My recommendation would be to ask him exactly what his tune up includes and shadow him to make sure things were done as they should be.

Typical, and you're smart and knowledgeable enough to check his work. Most people don't and they think "their" guy is the greatest thing since sliced toast. Read it all the time on this site. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose :shrug: