Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Removing Printer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/removing-printer-224718/)

LittleDog 01-05-2017 06:58 AM

Removing Printer

I recently purchased a new printer. I went into the control panel to remove my old printer but it doesn't stay removed once I reopen the control panel. Obviously there is something that I am missing. Anyone know how to permanently remove a printer that is no longer working?

Thanx

John

Goldwingnut 01-05-2017 07:33 AM

Just right click on it and select "remove device". That will get rid of it. I'm using W10 it will be similar for XP, W7, and W8.

ColdNoMore 01-05-2017 07:54 AM

As long as you have the check mark next to your new one as being the default printer, having icons of old printers doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I wouldn't worry about it. :shrug:

LittleDog 01-05-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldwingnut (Post 1342746)
Just right click on it and select "remove device". That will get rid of it. I'm using W10 it will be similar for XP, W7, and W8.

Not true. Right clicking on the device removes it but when you open the control panel again it mysteriously reappears.

John

Mikeod 01-05-2017 08:37 AM

Try going to Control Panel and Programs to uninstall the software drivers for the old printer. Then removing it from your Printers list should work.

retiredguy123 01-05-2017 09:10 AM

Removing a printer from the printer list is fine, but I wouldn't uninstall software drivers. They may be needed later for something else. Your computer probably has hundreds of drivers for other printers and devices that you may use in the future.

LittleDog 01-05-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeod (Post 1342767)
Try going to Control Panel and Programs to uninstall the software drivers for the old printer. Then removing it from your Printers list should work.

Mike - Tried that and the only printers showing there were the 2 printers that presently are active. I personally have no problem with printer selection but my wife might get confused when she tries to print on the non-default printer as all the printers in the control panel are shown for printer selections.

John

villagetinker 01-05-2017 09:40 AM

LittleDog, are you using the "cloud" for backup? I ran into a similar problem with a phone, where we would delete a phone number, and a few minutes later it was back! Now I do not use the "cloud" to backup, so I am not sure how you would stop this action on your PC. There might be a button to suspend backup.

One other item, my previous Cannon printer actually had 4 separate pieces of software in the programs list, to completely remove the printer, I had to remove all 4, this was because it was a multifunction device, and apparently each function had its own set of drivers.

Hope this helps.

LittleDog 01-05-2017 10:52 AM

Finally figured it out. There were documents in the print que for each printer. Once I deleted those the printer icon in the control panel was gone.

John

villagetinker 01-05-2017 03:23 PM

Thanks for providing the solution, I had not thought of that.