Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Landscaping (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/landscaping-225391/)

Mobilone 01-09-2017 01:28 PM

Landscaping

My wife and I are moving in on February 6th. We will obviously have to start thinking of upgrading the meager landscaping package that comes with the new purchase.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might find a reasonably priced nursery to purchase decent greenery?

JoMar 01-09-2017 02:02 PM

I assume that means you are going to do it yourself. Plants down here are different from where you came from so make sure you understand the differences. The are some good resources including the Master Gardner program that can help you. Learn a lot before you attack this DIY project.

photo1902 01-09-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobilone (Post 1344957)
My wife and I are moving in on February 6th. We will obviously have to start thinking of upgrading the meager landscaping package that comes with the new purchase.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might find a reasonably priced nursery to purchase decent greenery?

You'll find many nurseries down here to choose from. KB, Fairfield Farms, Goney's, just to name a few. Home Depot and Lowe's also carry a good variety of plants, which are backed by a one year warranty. Another consideration of doing it on your own is the possibility (high likelihood) that your irrigation will need to be modified. If you are comfortable doing this, its not hard, but can be labor intensive. You will also find numerous landscape companies. A search of this site will yield many, many helpful posts about recommendations, and who to stay away from.

My wife and I used Jason Schmidt Landscaping Professionals (352) 425-6361, and found them to be extremely professional and very responsive. If you decide to not tackle this project yourself, please consider calling them.

villagetinker 01-13-2017 07:06 PM

You might want to wait a while, and get adjusted to your new home. Then start asking questions about what works and what does not. Contact the master Gardner and get some really good info on plants and trees, do NOT get queen palms. Then review this site, there some great and some not so great contractors.
First, get your plan reviewed and approved by ARC, this is a requirement. Then using your approved plan, get estimates from 3 contractors, NO money up front, check with seniors against crime for the contractor you select. Do not make final payment (25 to 30%) until the project is completed to your satisfaction.
Hope this helps.

Ozzello 01-16-2017 07:27 PM

All plants trees and palms will have pros and cons. Queen palms have gotten an unfair magnification of the 'cons' in the last few years, but as an expert on the subject I will tell you there is no perfect palm. Every palm, tre and plant has potential to fall victim to SOMETHING. And most of those problems can be avoided with the proper steps. Ask your landscaper about what the possible problems are and how to combat them, and if you are told they are impervious to everything a totally maintenance free...call another landscaper.

graciegirl 01-16-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

If you just wait 18 months the "meager landscaping" will overgrow all by itself.

Nucky 01-16-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

There are many variables but if your experience is similar to ours you can buy the most beautiful plants at very reasonable prices all around TV. Our home was so overgrown that you couldn't see the majority of the house when you pulled up. Be very careful hiring random people to do tree or shrub removal :$: work, I used one who tried his criminal act but it didn't work out to well for them. We bought the majority of the replacement plants at Home Depot and we are totally satisfied. When you get here and get settled sent me a Private Message and I'll get a few helpful phone numbers together for you. Good Luck. Enjoy.

P.S. everything during the season grows quickly here, you have to see it to believe it! Mrs. Gracie is correct.