Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   First Responders With Heart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/first-responders-heart-238729/)

Carl in Tampa 04-20-2017 08:44 PM

First Responders With Heart

A friend of mine in The Villages died last week. Just a few years ago he was a robust, athletic retiree who played tennis several times a week.

His health decline was fairly sudden and got worse quickly. He had to rely on a walker, and fell often; sometimes as often as three times a day. He could not rise on his own. EMS had to respond often.

My friend's wife got to know several of the Fire and Paramedic responders fairly well, as they came to he house to aid my friend, and occasionally transport him to the Emergency Room for treatment.

We were surprised, at my friend's funeral, to discover that several of the First Responders who had come to know my friend, were at the funeral. In fact there were representatives from our local Police, Fire/Paramedic, and EMS agencies at the funeral. It was a touching display of concern.

manaboutown 04-20-2017 08:56 PM

Nice folks and a true sense of community!

NYGUY 04-20-2017 09:53 PM

It's always great to hear stories like that.

tom g 04-21-2017 06:45 AM

And too think some people are against giving a reasonable raise to the FD and EMS workers. It may raise our amenities

Taltarzac725 04-21-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1389063)
A friend of mine in The Villages died last week. Just a few years ago he was a robust, athletic retiree who played tennis several times a week.

His health decline was fairly sudden and got worse quickly. He had to rely on a walker, and fell often; sometimes as often as three times a day. He could not rise on his own. EMS had to respond often.

My friend's wife got to know several of the Fire and Paramedic responders fairly well, as they came to he house to aid my friend, and occasionally transport him to the Emergency Room for treatment.

We were surprised, at my friend's funeral, to discover that several of the First Responders who had come to know my friend, were at the funeral. In fact there were representatives from our local Police, Fire/Paramedic, and EMS agencies at the funeral. It was a touching display of concern.

Really nice story. Thanks for posting that Carl in Tampa.

graciegirl 04-21-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1389063)

Carl,

I am very sorry for your loss.

What a beautiful thing to share and shows us what we need to be reminded; that there is so much good in the world, and all around us in the hearts of people who work everyday with sadness and loss but don't lose their ability to care.

Thank you very much for this post.

Sending love and hugs from all of us.

Grace Gantner and family.

raynan 04-21-2017 10:11 AM

This story just made my day! Thank you Carl for sharing.

Pointer 04-21-2017 05:01 PM

Wow thats so nice to hear. Thank you for sharing this. It's made my day. :BigApplause:

PennBF 04-21-2017 07:16 PM

Another Example

There is a House in Jacksonville on the Mayo Clinic property. It accepts 28 residents+each must have a 24/7 Caretaker with them. The cost per room is $35. It has a number of volunteers helping out the patients who have had transplants or are on extended Chemo and/or radiation treatments. Four (4) nights a week an organization prepares meals and serves them to the residents who are ill. There are residents who have had heart transplants, some waiting for a heart transplant and some that have or are waiting for a liver or kidney transplant. There are miracles everyday in the house. How great are the volunteers who help these patients who are, in some cases very ill or just being watched and treated. It is satisfying to know there are people who care and are willing to help when called upon. It is named "The Gabriel House" and you must be referred to it by the Mayo Clinic. :BigApplause:

champion6 04-21-2017 08:15 PM

WOW! Thanks for posting.

VILLAGERBB 04-22-2017 12:46 PM

A perfect example of the type of EMT's/Firefighters we are so lucky to have here in The Villages!:BigApplause: