Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   age requirement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/age-requirement-31095/)

daffydill 08-15-2010 04:37 AM

age requirement

My husband and I are over 55 years old. If we were to buy a home in TV would our 18 yr old daughter be allowed to live with us year round? If something was to happen to us, and she would only be in her 20's or 30's would she be able to inherit the house and own and live there?

mulligan 08-15-2010 06:48 AM

You can only be a permanent resident if you are over 19. Under 19, only 30 days per year. Yes, she can inherit and own at any age, but not reside until 19. I may be wrong, but this is how I read it.

Whalen 08-15-2010 08:18 AM

Just curious

Why would you want to move an eighteen year old to a retirement community?

rjm1cc 08-15-2010 09:50 AM

Good question, I wondered the same thing. If I lived in TV and at some point one of my under 55 children wanted to move in to help me on a daily basis could they do it.
I think there are also several villiages that are not restricted to over 55.

Ohiogirl 08-15-2010 10:50 AM

lots of college age kids in TV

Talk to some of the servers in restaurants and other places. There are lots of college age or post high school age kids in TV who live for now with parent(s). There are lots of these kids everywhere, especially with the current economy.

A server at Mallory Hill told our group that he was establishing Florida residency (he and his parents had just moved a few months before) so he could pay in-state tuition and Leesburg Comm College (I think that was the one he mentioned), and would probably still live at home for at least a couple of years while he went to school.

I think it will happen more and more as the youngest baby boomers and beyond start retiring. They are more likely to have delayed having their kids until their 30s (or beyond, God help them), and thus their kids won't be sprung from the nest until their parents are sometimes in their 60s.

Guess that's maybe a good reason to make the adult pools 30 and over - I used to wonder about the age cutoff (why 30 and not 18 or 19)? If I were 25 I wouldn't want to hang out ALL the time with us geezers, and we geezers usually don't want to hang out ALL the time with the 20 somethings.

By the way, the ones who live there all kind of know where to hang out with the other regular residents their age after work/school hours. I think that's kind of neat - another subculture, just like the rest of us have our regular groups and hangouts after awhile.

skip0358 08-15-2010 12:23 PM

A question on the rule

You live here, your child is away at college and come summertime. Are they allowed to come here for the summer or does the 30 day rule come into play?

daffydill 08-15-2010 12:38 PM

In response to the person who said "why would you move an 18 yr old to a retirement communuty?" My daughter is a freshman in college. Even though she was an honor student all through high school, sometimes college doesn't work out as expected. Its nice to know she would have a home to come to.

Pturner 08-15-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 284048)
You live here, your child is away at college and come summertime. Are they allowed to come here for the summer or does the 30 day rule come into play?

Unless the child is older than 19, the 30-day rule applies.

redwitch 08-15-2010 03:01 PM

From my understanding, if the child does not live with you, then the 30-day rule applies for visits. My guess would be that if your home is now their permanent resident address and if you get them an ID card, then the 30-day rule would not be applicable. However, if their permanent resident address is not in TV, then the 30-day rule would apply. You might want to call about college-age kids staying for the summer.

paulandjean 08-15-2010 03:40 PM

or just do not say anything.

Bogie Shooter 08-15-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 284094)
or just do not say anything.

Would you want that to apply to all the rules?

JimJoe 08-15-2010 05:49 PM

I love the villages but this 19 yr old rule must have some exceptions. If the child does not use the amenities, is it really that big of thing?
How about a child who is handicapped or recovering from an injury, or in desperate financial situation?
Has anyone ever heard of this rule being enforced?

dog friendly 08-15-2010 05:50 PM

The 30 day rule is not true. You must gat a 30 day pass but you can renew it every 30 days....so if a child under 19 wants to stay the summer they can do so as long as you get the 30 day pass.

dog friendly 08-15-2010 05:56 PM

you can get a 30 day pass renewed as many times as you need, no rule that states they can only stay 30 days

graciegirl 08-15-2010 06:02 PM

I believe that this is a deed restriction.

Like no 12 statues in your front yard.